Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

2003 Porsche Boxster S getting almost no volume

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me or has an idea. I have Google searched and cant find any answers. I just bought a 2003 Boxster S. Only 16k miles. I have only driven for 800 miles. Took it to the bank for 15 minute drive, CD playing great, on 25 volume of 40. Come out of the bank, drive off and volume is VERY LOW for CD, FM, AM, everything. It sounds like about 5 of 40 volume, and if you turn it up to 10, 20, 30, 40, it doesnt change. Anyone have an idea? I dont want to take it in to stereo place, i have had bad experiences with stereo shops before. Thanks!

pedromcy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

Garage
Had a buddies do that a while back... unhooked the battery overnight, reconnected it the next morning and all was good (you might need your code though)... If you dont have the code send me a PM
If you dont have your code.... dont disconnect the battery just yet... get the serial from the headunit first "If you dont know how - shoot me a message"

H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

Hey Heiko....thanks for getting back to me. I called a dealer before reading your message. Dont have any codes, dealer said to hold down "TP" button for 10+ seconds and would go through process of giving serial #, but that didnt work, and searching online says my model (CDR23) is a rare model that doesnt have codes. But, that being said, after car off for an hour, turned on radio, volume works again. I dont know what to make of that, a one time glitch or future issue that will happen each time. Hopefully it doesnt happen again, but any ideas how to solve if reoccurs, appreciate your experience.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Garage
Gremlins! Mine (2003 S with the same unit) has twice just not given any volume, even though the display worked; the various bands changed; and it had worked right before I shut the car off. Subsequent restarts and all seems back to normal.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

My '03 with the CDR23 crapped out on me this spring. Like you said, working fine and then all of a sudden, nothing. Spent hours searching, reading, for solutions and/or upgrades. I don't think the CDR23 has the code. I've undone my battery many times without a problem (you will need to reprogram your auto up/down feature on your windows though).

Unlike others, I liked the factory stereo. Sounded good enough for me. So far, I've replaced the head unit, dash and door speakers, added an amp, and it still doesn't sound as good as the stock system. On mine, I think the amp went out. And with the '03's and the MOST fiber optic system, you basically have to rip everything out and start from scratch. Check your frunk next to the battery and see if you have the factory Becker or Bose amp. And if that amp has an orange cable. If it does, that's the fiber optic cable. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

Garage
Yes the CDR23's have the code embeded... For most of the others i can give you the codes as long as i have the serial's...
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Thank you everyone. A lot of good info. Hopefully it was a one time issue and smooth sailing rest of the way....if not, will save these posts and try all suggestions. Appreciate your help.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.oneufer View Post
Gremlins! Mine (2003 S with the same unit) has twice just not given any volume, even though the display worked; the various bands changed; and it had worked right before I shut the car off. Subsequent restarts and all seems back to normal.
Same here - 2003S CDR23 has had the volume crap out on start a few times. A little rest and a restar fixed it...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #9

Garage
Had the same issue, removed the fuse and replaced, all worked well.

I think it is just a 2003S gremlin that would rather us listen to the beautiful purr of the engine!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Not the answer you're looking for, but believe me you will never be happy with the CDR-23
Spend $100 and replace it with a decent aftermarket unit from crutchfield.com with bluetooth, iPod integration etc.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
….or buy a Cat Back Exhaust and never turn on the darn thing again!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #12

I had my cdr23 replaced for right hand knob not working consistently ,it was under CPO so dealer replaced. I've heard the units can be finicky. So far so good with the replacement. I think replacing it with something different would be nice but as mentioned you are looking at head unit etc etc. so I have left mine stock for now.
You can find the manual for it online check RennTech.org

I am pretty sure you can get codes from it but I haven't done that myself yet.

Last edited by mcomet; 10-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #13

My 2003 Boxster with CDR23 with Becker Amp Model BE 6600 has the Front Right dash speaker not working at very low volume in comparison to the Left Front dash. Swapping the speakers changed nothing so it's not a bad speaker. I guess the amp has gone bad as the wiring at the amp plug and the soldering and clip at the speaker seems fine.

During trouble shooting the amp decided to stop working completely. Thanks to this thread I just left it disconnected for a couple of hours and did some yard work. It worked again (though the front right speaker still is failing) when I connected it. Thanks!

Tkopko is offline   Reply With Quote