Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Kiritsugu

Garage
What does this switch do?

Hello! This is my first post here on these forums! I just got my 2004 Boxster S from Carmax, and I've been taking good care of it, driving, cleaning, etc. etc. (Normal intro stuff)
Just one question though: Today, I was cleaning the interior and I found this random rocker switch, but don't know what it does. Do any of you have it, or have any of you seen it before? (Pics below)

Also, Obligatory first pics of my car!

Last edited by Kiritsugu; 10-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Kiritsugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
first, welcome.
nice set of wheels you got there.
the switch you are showing on the picture is not OEM.
in other words this is an aftermarket switch installed there by the previous owner.
1.do you have an iPod/iPhone cable in the car (connected to the OEM system)?
2. do you have an after market stereo system?
3. do you have ant type of radar detector that came with the car?

if you don't have none of the above, it mast be a self distract button.
don't press it at 4000 RPM just kidding.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
with a close look at your second picture, you do have some after market stuff.

what ever it is, this switch controls it.
if you have an iPod cable, most chances it will switch the AUX input, between the OEM CD changer and the iPod.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Garage
Looks like you bought Mr. Danger's old car.
It's the ejection seat switch.
Don't push it when the top is up!
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #5

another marylander!

first, take that front plate off. front plates on boxsters look bad enough without having to have one of the crappy "new" maryland plates there too. (just kidding, sort of)

second, as others have said it is after market so you'll want to see what the wire(s) attached to it run to and try to track it down that way. i think a few people have put a laser shifter / radar shifter kill switch there (but from the other pics doesn't look to be the case). look for ipod / iphone integration stuff and see if you have the cd changer in the front trunk (frunk).

what part of maryland is home? did you get it from the carmax in rockville? that's where my boxster spent some time as well (though not where i puchased it from).
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
The cable shown in second pic looks too large to be a simple iPod connection. IMHO

I had a switch like that for Hydrogen system, HH2Go, 2 parts Hydrogen - one part Oxygen - when you break the covalent bond (using a small electric charge) BOTH can be burned with gas. In fact, it is like running on Race Gas! And the engine LOVES IT! No nasty carbon deposits!

Here's a pic I still have from the installation. I was getting 30+ MPG in a Mercedes and 22 MPG in a Dodge RAM 1500 while driving like I owned a Pcar! The power was incredible.

And no, I am NOT TALKING about these crappy ebay deals that promise what the system cannot deliver! CA trucks have been using a larger, similar system for years! I compressed it and fit into my car!

Alas, the lawyers nixed the idea. Too bad since I was almost doubling my mileage. My truck went over 100,000 miles using the system and the Merc put in about 60k.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Kiritsugu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
with a close look at your second picture, you do have some after market stuff.
what ever it is, this switch controls it.
if you have an iPod cable, most chances it will switch the AUX input, between the OEM CD changer and the iPod.
I fiddled it with it when the audio system was on, no dice. I'll try seeing where it goes. This could be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
another marylander!

first, take that front plate off. front plates on boxsters look bad enough without having to have one of the crappy "new" maryland plates there too. (just kidding, sort of)

second, as others have said it is after market so you'll want to see what the wire(s) attached to it run to and try to track it down that way. i think a few people have put a laser shifter / radar shifter kill switch there (but from the other pics doesn't look to be the case). look for ipod / iphone integration stuff and see if you have the cd changer in the front trunk (frunk).

what part of maryland is home? did you get it from the carmax in rockville? that's where my boxster spent some time as well (though not where i puchased it from).
Thanks! I'll be sure to do that. As for the front plate, i'd rather leave it on, just because I don't wanna get fined repeatedly again by the police. Hopefully Maryland sanes up a little about these things... It was the Carmax in White Marsh. You wouldn't be able to tell though, because I had to stop them from putting on their plate covers and that weird "Carmax" sticker. The car calls Bel Air home, but I'm at school at UMBC a lot of the time (Without the car).

Thanks for all of your help guys! I was just wondering if that switch had ever been seen coming from the factory. Also, I met the president of the local PCA at a Cars & coffee today, and I'm looking forward to joining soon!

Last edited by Kiritsugu; 10-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Kiritsugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiritsugu View Post
As for the front plate, i'd rather leave it on, just because I don't wanna get fined repeatedly again by the police.
i've been sans front plate for 2 1/2 years. pulled over once by MSP. officer asked where it was. i said "in the garage. i don't like it on there." he laughed, handed me a warning and sent me on my way.

also, those carpet pieces come off pretty easily. just pull it off and see what that box is meir pointed to...

Last edited by tonycarreon; 10-20-2012 at 04:55 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch , unknown