Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #1

Exclamation Changing from reg oil to Mobil1?

Want to do an oil change on my 2000 Boxster, and suspect the previous owner used regular motor oil. What should I do to make sure nothing diastrous happens when I refill with Mobil1?

I'll change the filter, of course. Cheap source for the filter would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
bmussatti

What makes you think the previous owner used conventional oil?

Conventional oils and Synthetics are compatible, that's why you see a bunch of blends in the market place.

You should use 0W40 Mobil 1. Your car will love you for it! Should run smoother and may get better gas mileage too.

I am sure some of the other forum members will tell you how to purchase OEM filters through the internet.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
bmussatti

Wingboat:

You can also go to www.mobil1.com. They have a FAQ's about this subject.

This is an exact quote off the web site:

"Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way. "
Old 09-27-2005, 01:40 PM   #4

Cheap source for OEM filters www.pap-parts.com

If the PO did use regular motor oil, I would change it to Mobil1 and then change it again in about 5K miles. There are blends, but they last about half as long as full synthetics so when you "create the blend" you should change it early and your next fill will be more pure.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #5

Hi,

As stated, MB1 is compatible with Organic Oil, so no problem there, just change it and go the normal interval.

But, whenever changing between any Oils, no matter what type, just Brands, there is the potential for some slight leaking at the seals. It is a fairly common wives tale that if you switch to a Synthetic from an Organic you'll get some minor seepage. This is basically true, but not because of the type rather the change in Brands.

All Brands use a proprietary mix of Anti-Oxidents and Detergents. These can be different Agents and/or be in different concentrations.

Over time, your Oil forms deposits along the edges of valve seals, valve guides, and gaskets. These deposits actually aid in sealing these joints. They are immune to the effects of the Oil you're currently running.

But, switch Brands (or types) which have a different composition or concentration of these Agents, and the deposits can be stripped away allowing for some slight seepage from the joints, or in the case of valve guides and seals, a little smoking from the exhaust.

These effects are temporary until the new Oil forms deposits of it's own, once again resealing the joints. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-27-2005 at 03:35 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #6

Hate to disagree with Jim on this but in all my years (40 or so) of driving I have never experienced a leak due to changing oils of any kind.

The theory sounds good but, with today's seals, I have not heard this theory advanced at all.

Having said all that, I would simply switch to M1 0W-40 and stick with that. It is a very high quality oil. I would also change the filter, of course.

Now, as to how often to change, well ..............

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #7

Another oil debate.

Porsche did approve conventional mineral oils.

The latest leaky RMS theory is that the M96 motor was tested with conventional oil but when the vehicle went into production Porsche then said to use conventional or synthetic, but the car was filled at the factory with, guess what, synthetic.

So what did all the owners use? Synthetic. Wonder how much Mobil paid for that sticker, like they make the only synthetic oil in the world.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Hate to disagree with Jim on this but in all my years (40 or so) of driving I have never experienced a leak due to changing oils of any kind.

The theory sounds good but, with today's seals, I have not heard this theory advanced at all.

Having said all that, I would simply switch to M1 0W-40 and stick with that. It is a very high quality oil. I would also change the filter, of course.

Now, as to how often to change, well ..............

Hi,

I never said that the seals would leak, only that there was a potential for them to do so. The fact that you never experienced it does not invalidate my statement.

Surely in your 40 or so years of driving you've heard of the caveat that switching to a Synthetic could make your seals leak. In my 36 or so years of driving, I certainly have. But the root cause of this caveat was never mentioned.

FYI, a 5 min. search of the web revealed at least on piece of literature corroborating what I have said. See it at: http://www.superiorlubricants.com/faq02.htm scroll down to the question on Oil Consumption. BTW, it appears that they only have 30 years of experience with these and related subjects.

Happy Motoring...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-27-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #9

Talking

Watch you attitude, Jim! You have a tendency to overreact when anyone considers a different opinion than yours.

I simply stated that I had never seen this happen and that I have never seen any credible evidence that it occurs. To my mind, I still haven't.

Since this car is manufactured by Porsche and they recommend the synthetic, I would tend to go with it and that is simply my opinion. The poster is free to do whatever you advise him to do, if that is his wish. Since he does not know for certain what oil is in the car, I see little risk going with a superior synthetic motor oil.

What is his alternative, to guess what is in there and try to match it? Fact is, it is almost certain whatever he puts in the car now will NOT match what is in there. So what does he have to lose?

To me, the changing of different oils equals leaking seals theory is just that, a theory.

Or as you termed it, a wive's tale.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Watch you attitude, Jim! You have a tendency to overreact when anyone considers a different opinion than yours.

I simply stated that I had never seen this happen and that I have never seen any credible evidence that it occurs. To my mind, I still haven't.

Since this car is manufactured by Porsche and they recommend the synthetic, I would tend to go with it and that is simply my opinion. The poster is free to do whatever you advise him to do, if that is his wish. Since he does not know for certain what oil is in the car, I see little risk going with a superior synthetic motor oil.

What is his alternative, to guess what is in there and try to match it? Fact is, it is almost certain whatever he puts in the car now will NOT match what is in there. So what does he have to lose?

To me, the changing of different oils equals leaking seals theory is just that, a theory.

Or as you termed it, a wive's tale.
Hi,

Watch my attitude..?? Uh...OK But I am not the one refuting a post merely on the basis of personal preference and anecdotal evidence seemingly bolstered by the length of time that one has possessed a Driver's License.

I don't simply make this stuff up, if I cannot substantiate what I say, I don't say it, or at the least, I profer it as opinion. Like many, I received some bad advise when I was learning the fundamentals and in some instances it cost me time and $$. There is some volume of misinformation passing through this forum as well. I hate to see that happen if I can contribute to it's prevention, I try to. My sole purpose for passing along some of the things I have learned is to hopefully assist others and perhaps shorten their learning curve, mine was pretty steep. I currently own 6 cars (the lowest count in 12 yrs.). I do all the work on all of them (except our Jag which is warranteed) from minor to major work. My cars are reliable and proven on the Track with some being National Show winners and, I haven't seen a Tow Truck in over 15 yrs. So I am comfortable that I have at least a passing knowledge.

Those reading it are free to act upon it as they deem appropriate. If someone differs and I offer corroboration of what I've said, I don't call this overreacting, I call it clarification. If you want to call this an overreaction, sobeit.

In point of fact, this information re. Oil leakage was first relayed to me by a Chemical Engineer from Mobil Corp. who was a Guest Speaker at a Tech session held at a National Lotus Convention I attended a few years back. Many owners of older Lotus (which like every Brit car have a tendency to mark their territories) expressed concerns over switching to Synthetics. This was his explanation for the seepage which sometimes occurs.

Since then, I have run across numerous corroborations, including the one I listed, which as I said was discovered in a 5 min. Web search after your refute.

You can continue to think of it in theoretical terms, that's what's great about America. But given that I have run across this repeatedly, from numerous credible sources, to me, it's advancing beyond the theoretical. And keep in mind that I am only referring to the Potential for this occurrence, not a prediction of it.

The Synthetic Oils are simply so superior to the Organic ones, that I would never recommend anything else to be used in a Car and as I re-read my earlier post, I believe this is what I suggested. I passed on what I've learned about potential seepage to forearm the lister in the event this should occur. PEACE...

Happy Motoring...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-27-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:53 PM   #11

Talking

Somebody pissed in somebody's cheerios this morning
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #12

I have a small amount of experience w/ a leak due to swapping over to synthetic oil. I changed oil in a 94 300zx TT and soon after I started seeing oil under the car. I spoke to some mechanics where I work and was informed that basic organic oil will leave deposits and build-up along the seals and seams of the engine walls. Once introduced it is possible for the synthetic oil to "clean" these deposits and build-up out leaving very small gaps that the synthetic oil can work its way through. Also synthetic oil can work its way through areas that convetional oils couldnt causing unseen leaks that previuosly had not shown up. This is just passed along information from very good mechanics at a michilin tire mfg. plant. NO proven facts but seemed like very good information to me. Form your own opinion.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Somebody pissed in somebody's cheerios this morning
Fighting doesn't resolve anything...

...except conflict.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #14

I collect bottle caps. Nothing fancy like imported beer caps from around the world. But just regular, plastic, Ozarka bottled water caps. It's true. I keep them in plastic cups under my desk at work. I don't know what I'm gonna do with them really. If I collect enough of them, I might build little pyramids or something. We'll see... But that's what I do and that's where they are.

Wanna see 'em?

See. I told you.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM   #15

Jeph, I just fell out of my chair laughing. Now that is quality posting! I think there was about a 9 on the tension scale! I was waiting and waiting, but no one stepped in with the obvious one so here goes..."Don't make me go Bruce-lee on your a%$" Do I have to carry the load here?

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown

Last edited by Rail26; 09-30-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote