Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

front suspension sway

I have a 01 with 108,000 miles on it.The is lound clunking noise like metal to metal contact when I go over bumps at low speeds.Steering has no play but pulls slightly to the right ,has factory 18' wheels on it.

Whenever I go over bumps the car sways side to side like a seasaw.feels unstable at times.

Yesterday had the car on car lift and visually checked the front suspension components but nothing indicating a problem was obvious.The ball joint,outer tie rod,control arm,drop links all seem intact but there is slight side to side play with steering tie rod,Is it normal?Does anybody has had a similar issue,your expeirence will help pin point the issue.
Sway bar bushing is intact too but a has slight play,any input as to what I should be looking for

tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

Sounds like blown dampers. Mine went out around 70k, I just replaced them with lower mileage units and the handling greatly improved.

I also had low speed clunking, and the car being really unsettling at higher speeds.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

I just had that issue too with 52K miles.

Started with replacing tie rods (inner and outer) but noise still there. Then drop links and sway bar bushings, did not solve the issue.
and finally struts and control arms (while I'm there) and solved the issue.
I agreed with MConte05 about the damper/strut because when I removed mine, they were very soft and easy to compress.

If you change the strut, change your upper mount. They updated the upper mount to 997 part number and the new part has larger rubber bushing.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Anything that you can feel as loose when you shake down the suspension has to be replaced. As far as the struts go, open the frunk, put one leg in and jump up and down. If the suspension keeps going up and down after you stop bouncing, then you have bad struts.

On my car after 128k+ miles, I can barely get the suspension to go up and down, and I am not a featherweight by any means.

Also check the sway bar links, they often make noise. And the upper strut bushings also fail and make noise.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #5

Also you *might* see some dampness around the strut housing that indicates a blown seal or a slow leak.

MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote