Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

oil on top of engine

Noticed some oil on top of my engine. I'm assuming this is not normal. Any idea on where I should check for leaks? There is oil on both sides.

Also, I'm assuming it's pretty minor since I change my oil every 5k and ever expereince any oil drop or need to top off.

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Noticed some oil on top of my engine. I'm assuming this is not normal. Any idea on where I should check for leaks? There is oil on both sides.

Also, I'm assuming it's pretty minor since I change my oil every 5k and ever expereince any oil drop or need to top off.

Looks like it might be time to replace the seals on the oil cooler.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Garage
I'm just a newbie.... but I would check the bottom of the oil cooler (the o-rings like to leak from what i've read - cheap and easy fix), the oil filler pipe joins just to the right of the throttle plate housing (that leaked on mine - replaced the hose). Also on mine the Oil Level sender unti just behind the oil cooler leaked (replaced that too) If you cant find it, clean the top of the motor with brake cleaner and then watch where oil begins to form over the next little while.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Could be engine oil, could be power steering fluid.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

I'll take "What is power steering fluid?" for $1,000 Alex.

Happened to me at the track. Engine gets really hot and the psf starts to smoke off.
Ruined a good track day until I figured out that I was spinning the ps pump too hard, too long and need an underdrive pulley.

No more oil on engine.
YMMV.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

Garage
DFW02S - just a comment on the PS-Fluid.... I noticed when i took everything apart that the drain/vent hose from the PS resevoir is only about 10" long and litterally is setup to drain on top of the
engine.... I got a new piece of hose and snaked it down over the left side valve cover, draining it (should it leak) onto the ground rather than on the motor) Every other overflow, like battery drain, coolant overflow etc are all guided down just not that one.... I guess if you spill some on a track it wouldnt be good, you could always put a small 6oz overflow tank below the airbox and drain it into that. The make beautiful little fuel tanks for RC planes anywhere from 2-32oz and they would work like a charm to catch a little bit of PSF (you might have to check and dump it once a year)
Just a thought
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #7

Good point Heiko. That was part of the UDD pulley job too. So now I shouldn't be boiling the psf and if I do, it will drip to the ground.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

Garage
You bet... so the guy behind ya on the track will get it on his tires - lol - unless you really care and dump it into a catch can :-)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

I have some Psf moisture around my resovoir....my cap is tight....does
this mean I am over heating the ps fluid?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #10

Garage
check the green o-ring around the neck the cap sticks on (might need a new one) or is it coming out of the little elbow that sticks into the res. where the overflow pipe is clamped on to?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #11

Yes good things to check thanks! I am always working in the dark (need some nice portable work lights) so any nuances are lost on me

Nice looking car by the way...any snow in Guelph yet?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
You bet... so the guy behind ya on the track will get it on his tires - lol - unless you really care and dump it into a catch can :-)
The underdrive pulley spins the ps pump more slowly so that it doesn't boil or froth the fluid, which was the cause of leaking - at least for my car.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #13

Garage
A trouble light or flashlight is pretty much a must when working in that little engine cubby lol
No snow yet in Guelph... we better not see any for at least another month or more....
Hoping to get out for a few more rides yet before the salt goes on the road
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
I had this happen to my old Boxster. The car had just had the local Porsche dealer do the 15K mile service and apparently they just kept adding oil to the filler tube until the dipstick showed full. In the process, a large amount of oil leaked out through the crack in the filler tube and went all over the top of the engine. It would then drip all over the garage floor and scare heck out of me. The indie mechanic that I took the car to found a crack in the oil filler tube and told me this was a common problem. He told me that he mopped up about a quart off the top of the engine. The repair cost $400 to fix and it never occurred again.

The dealer that caused the problem was clueless about the situation, but that wasn't surprising since that was the same dealer that didn't know how to remove cosmoline from the wheels. I since traded the Boxster for my Cayman but I never bring it to the dealer unless required for warranty service, which thankfully has been minimal.

johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote