Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Question Alcantara?

What do you guys use on the black (Alcantara?) in your cars? Is there one 'best product' to use on this type of plastic? Want to freshen up the interior before winter and I have the leather covered but am hesitant to do anything to the black areas until I know what I am doing. Thanks for your help.

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

I have not cleaned mine yet but since it is much like a suede leather I think a product for suede might be good. Key is to try said product where it won't show to confirm that it does not change the color.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

Garage
a soft (non brass) suede brush should be fine.

for more details here:

Quote:
HOW DO I CLEAN IT?
Its important to understand Alcantara does not respond well to most chemical cleaners, as a matter of fact, many chemical cleaners will actually discolor or change the texture of the material permanently ruining the benefit of having such a nice material on the interior surfaces of a vehicle.

Daily cleaning and regular maintenance - I recommend the use of a medium-soft bristled brush, like the Adam’s Interior Brush or similar, to essentially fluff and renew the material. As you sit on the seat the material will become matted or tired looking, a quick brushing will revive the material and bring it back to life. Be sure to vacuum first to remove and debris then brush in both directions. In the event you do not have a brush a clean, dry, lint free, microfiber towel will work.

For a more thorough cleaning - Start with a clean, lint free, microfiber towel and spray a light mist of Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or similar non-soap cleaner onto the towel. Gently wipe at any soiled areas or wipe the entire surface if its been awhile since the previous cleaning. NEVER SPRAY THE CLEANER DIRETLY ONTO THE ALCANTARA!! Flip the towel to a clean side and repeat as needed.

After the surface has been cleaned use a 2nd, dry, lint free, microfiber towel to remove any moisture and follow with a brush to re-fluff the material. Its important not to use too much product, a very light misting of cleaner onto the towel is all thats needed.

BUT WHAT IF I HAVE STAINS?

Prevention of stains is the most important thing to keeping an Alcantara surface clean, but accidents happen. In the event you do spill something or do notice a discolored spot the sooner you act the better. The longer a stain is allowed to sit the less likely you'll be able to remove it.

In the event you do get a stain, act quickly (within 30 minutes) and begin treating the stain from the outside edge into the center in order to avoid
the stain spreading. Never pour a cleaning product directly onto Alcantara!!
from here : Cleaning Alcantara (faux suede)
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
a soft (non brass) suede brush should be fine.

for more details here:

from here : Cleaning Alcantara (faux suede)
Thank you very much, good response.

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote