Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

Garage
Need some replacement top advice--anyone heard of Electron Top Mfg. Co.?

I located a GAHH installer about 25 miles from me. When I called him, he said he could use GAHH, but preferred the Electron Top, who he has done business with for almost 30-years.
He stated he could replace the top on my 1999 Boxster, with a plastic window, for $1,100 parts and labor.
When I asked about the warranty, he stated it was like most, and came with a 90-day warranty, but if anything was wrong, Electron would make it right for him. He has NEVER had any issues.

Thoughts and suggestions?

mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Buzzed their website quickly looks like a legit product but if you have any reservations why not look at one of his jobs?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
I located a GAHH installer about 25 miles from me. When I called him, he said he could use GAHH, but preferred the Electron Top, who he has done business with for almost 30-years.
He stated he could replace the top on my 1999 Boxster, with a plastic window, for $1,100 parts and labor.
When I asked about the warranty, he stated it was like most, and came with a 90-day warranty, but if anything was wrong, Electron would make it right for him. He has NEVER had any issues.

I am a moron when it comes to the tops so I have no suggestions...BUT I would be very cautious of the whole " Electron will make it right for him". You would obviously hope that is the case...but at this point I would look at is as a 90 day warranty and that is it...
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #4

Garage
Sound advice trimer and Ghost. Thanks.
mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

I believe the GAAH tops carry a 2 year warranty. See link for more info.

GAHH: Convertible Tops, Auto Interiors, Quality Convertible Tops

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #6

I looked at the Electron Top site and it states that they have a 2 year warranty also.
They use the same Sonnenland material for the top.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 09-26-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:

I have used electron top for over 40 years for domestic tops. I prefer GAHH for Porsche ect.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica View Post
I have used electron top for over 40 years for domestic tops. I prefer GAHH for Porsche ect.
Appreciate the comment.
Are you an installer, or have just had them on your vehicles?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #9

I have the GAHH top on mine and i really like it. Im not sure what year the top is but I know that I don't have the third rib on the top which allows for more room when working on the engine bay area. If you do your own work I highly sugest finding out if the Electron Top has the extra rib to fold the glass flat. If im not mistaken the newer GAHH tops have the extra rib and the glass is bonded not sown like mine. Hope this was of some help.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
I have the GAHH top on mine and i really like it. Im not sure what year the top is but I know that I don't have the third rib on the top which allows for more room when working on the engine bay area. If you do your own work I highly sugest finding out if the Electron Top has the extra rib to fold the glass flat. If im not mistaken the newer GAHH tops have the extra rib and the glass is bonded not sown like mine. Hope this was of some help.
I haven't done any of the work yet, but there may be things I can tackle. I will check on the ET to see if it has the extra rib.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Appreciate the comment.
Are you an installer, or have just had them on your vehicles?
I am an installer

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote