986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need some replacement top advice--anyone heard of Electron Top Mfg. Co.? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37503-need-some-replacement-top-advice-anyone-heard-electron-top-mfg-co.html)

mistermac99 09-25-2012 07:29 AM

Need some replacement top advice--anyone heard of Electron Top Mfg. Co.?

I located a GAHH installer about 25 miles from me. When I called him, he said he could use GAHH, but preferred the Electron Top, who he has done business with for almost 30-years.
He stated he could replace the top on my 1999 Boxster, with a plastic window, for $1,100 parts and labor.
When I asked about the warranty, he stated it was like most, and came with a 90-day warranty, but if anything was wrong, Electron would make it right for him. He has NEVER had any issues.

Thoughts and suggestions? :cheers:

Ghostrider 310 09-25-2012 09:01 AM

Buzzed their website quickly looks like a legit product but if you have any reservations why not look at one of his jobs?

trimer 09-25-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 307266)
I located a GAHH installer about 25 miles from me. When I called him, he said he could use GAHH, but preferred the Electron Top, who he has done business with for almost 30-years.
He stated he could replace the top on my 1999 Boxster, with a plastic window, for $1,100 parts and labor.
When I asked about the warranty, he stated it was like most, and came with a 90-day warranty, but if anything was wrong, Electron would make it right for him. He has NEVER had any issues.

I am a moron when it comes to the tops so I have no suggestions...BUT I would be very cautious of the whole " Electron will make it right for him". You would obviously hope that is the case...but at this point I would look at is as a 90 day warranty and that is it...

mistermac99 09-25-2012 09:26 AM

Sound advice trimer and Ghost. Thanks.

jcb986 09-25-2012 10:51 AM

I believe the GAAH tops carry a 2 year warranty. See link for more info.

GAHH: Convertible Tops, Auto Interiors, Quality Convertible Tops

Spinnaker 09-26-2012 02:19 AM

I looked at the Electron Top site and it states that they have a 2 year warranty also.
They use the same Sonnenland material for the top.

Peter Serbanica 09-29-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 307266)

I have used electron top for over 40 years for domestic tops. I prefer GAHH for Porsche ect.

mistermac99 09-29-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica (Post 307698)
I have used electron top for over 40 years for domestic tops. I prefer GAHH for Porsche ect.

Appreciate the comment.
Are you an installer, or have just had them on your vehicles?

Bmod986 09-29-2012 08:49 AM

I have the GAHH top on mine and i really like it. Im not sure what year the top is but I know that I don't have the third rib on the top which allows for more room when working on the engine bay area. If you do your own work I highly sugest finding out if the Electron Top has the extra rib to fold the glass flat. If im not mistaken the newer GAHH tops have the extra rib and the glass is bonded not sown like mine. Hope this was of some help.

mistermac99 09-29-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmod986 (Post 307716)
I have the GAHH top on mine and i really like it. Im not sure what year the top is but I know that I don't have the third rib on the top which allows for more room when working on the engine bay area. If you do your own work I highly sugest finding out if the Electron Top has the extra rib to fold the glass flat. If im not mistaken the newer GAHH tops have the extra rib and the glass is bonded not sown like mine. Hope this was of some help.

I haven't done any of the work yet, but there may be things I can tackle. I will check on the ET to see if it has the extra rib.
Thanks for the feedback.

Peter Serbanica 09-30-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 307708)
Appreciate the comment.
Are you an installer, or have just had them on your vehicles?

I am an installer