Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

6 speed manual: new (2013) vs. old

I test drove today a 2013 6-speed manual transmission Boxster S. In my mind, I compared the feel of the shifter and clutch pedal of this Boxster to the older Boxster S (first series) and more recent Cayman S that I've owned. The shifter and clutch pedal in the 2013 model appeared to be much taller/higher than the older vehicles, seeming to make both much more awkward to use. Has anyone had a similar experience? It's enough to bias me away from the "stick" and towards the PDK if I decide to buy another Boxster/Cayman.

mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #2

I went from a 2007 Carrera to a 2013 Boxster and the clutch feel was different, but you get used to it and now seems just right. The new 6 sp in the Boxster is much better than the 6 sp in the Carrera.
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

To me hydraulic systems have very little clutch feel, that is especially true if you are using a cabled clutch as a comparison. Still, I always thought the Porsche clutches grabbed higher off the floor than I would have preferred. In the 944 I thought it was wear, but when a slave cylinder led to a brand new Sachs clutch, the grab spot was right where it was, just a hair too high. I know many don't share my enthusiasm but I truly love driving the PDK.

Question for Jim in SC, does your car spit tiny specks of oil sporadically on the bumper cover?

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-22-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
To me hydraulic systems have very little clutch feel, that is especially true if you are using a cabled clutch as a comparison. Still, I always thought the Porsche clutches grabbed higher off the floor than I would have preferred. In the 944 I thought it was wear, but when a slave cylinder led to a brand new Sachs clutch, the grab spot was right where it was, just a hair too high. I know many don't share my enthusiasm but I truly love driving the PDK.

Question for Jim in SC, does your car spit tiny specks of oil sporadically on the bumper cover?
No Why? Never heard that before?
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Maybe it's because it's white that I see it but the 986 used to put some oil on the bumper cover and the spyder has some small specs of oil in between washes as well. It's running 100% so I am not alarmed just curious.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #6

Garage
After I bought the car, the clutch grabbed very high. I found that after a new clutch, the pedal grabbed low. (986) Perhaps after say 60xxx miles of the 2012, it may grab lower.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

Just thought of something. If I remember correctly, I've read that the 2013 boxsters have seats lowered in comparison with prior year boxster/caymans. If true, this would account for (some of) the impression of a higher positioned clutch pedal and shifter knob.
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Is the clutch engagement position not changeable?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote