Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Delaware
Posts: 67
Tires

I ordered Hankook V12's for my 1999 Boxster from a local dealer as they had the Hunter balancing machine and the price was okay. When I picked the car up later that day it had Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it, with a higher price! When I pointed this out the salesman he acted like he couldn't believe it, didn't know how this could have happened. I told him to remove them and put my old tires back on as the Hankooks had to be ordered again. The next day the manager called me, apologized for the mix up, he said parts ordered the wrong tires. He offered to get the Hankooks for me or give me the Continentals for the Hankook price. I did some research on the Continentals and decided to keep them at the lower price. So far I have no complaints about them, the ride is quiet, they look good on the car and they are a more expensive tire than the Hankooks.

springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 183
Tires

I have a 99 Boxster and I have been very happy with Sumitomo HTZ IIs and HTZ IIIs.

I purchase them from Tire Rack and have them shipped to my door, then I take them to the local dealer to have them installed.

They are very inexpensive and I usually get 15,500 to 16,500 miles out of the rear tires and well over 30,000 miles out of the fronts.

The last time I purchased HTZ IIIs they were $86.00 for a front tire and $114.00 for a rear tire. Shipping of four tires to my door was $50.00.

Since I have to change out rear tires so often, I think I will stick with the Sumitomo HTZ IIs or HTZ IIIs. The HTZ IIs are even cheaper.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
jakesbox
 
trimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 759
I might or might not be a rarity...but I love my hankooks. Installed and have about 100 miles on them and they seem to be fantastic. I ahve never been a big tire person...with my DD's I just put on whatever is middle of the road, but I dont drive that much as I work from home quite a bit...but the Hankooks are solid!

Nice work getting more for less! Good for you!
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,682
Garage
The Conti's are a nice tire at nearly twice the price of V12s. Enjoy!
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Registered User
 
schnellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 868
Another Tire Thread????

Gotta say +1 on Sumitomo HTRZ III's.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,248
Garage
I used to run the Conti ExtremeContact DWSs on my old GTI to good results. I did like them. Current I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport AS (primarily due to mileage warranty ).
__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa 3.6
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,400
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
I ordered Hankook V12's for my 1999 Boxster from a local dealer as they had the Hunter balancing machine and the price was okay. When I picked the car up later that day it had Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it, with a higher price! When I pointed this out the salesman he acted like he couldn't believe it, didn't know how this could have happened. I told him to remove them and put my old tires back on as the Hankooks had to be ordered again. The next day the manager called me, apologized for the mix up, he said parts ordered the wrong tires. He offered to get the Hankooks for me or give me the Continentals for the Hankook price. I did some research on the Continentals and decided to keep them at the lower price. So far I have no complaints about them, the ride is quiet, they look good on the car and they are a more expensive tire than the Hankooks.
That's a once in a lifetime deal! don't look back. Continental's have been OE on most german cars for many decades.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upper Marlboro, Md.
Posts: 268
I just had a blowout on one of my rear tires. Now I'm either going to get 4 less expensive tires or 2 good ones. For all 4 I'm thinking Hancook e4 all seasons, or Dunlop sports. If I get just 2, I'm thinking Michelin sport all season. Any thoughs?
__________________
'99 Boxster Artic Silver/Red
'14 Subaru Outback
'06 EG Classic
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
The Conti's are a nice tire at nearly twice the price of V12s. Enjoy!
I have had a set of those on my Chevrolet HHR SS for about a year and I must say they are great tires. Good in snow too.
__________________
1998 986 with ladder racks.
paintboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami florida
Posts: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockmeister View Post
I just had a blowout on one of my rear tires. Now I'm either going to get 4 less expensive tires or 2 good ones. For all 4 I'm thinking Hancook e4 all seasons, or Dunlop sports. If I get just 2, I'm thinking Michelin sport all season. Any thoughs?
You can never go wrong with 4 new tires.
__________________
Current car

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upper Marlboro, Md.
Posts: 268
I have Contis on my BMW. Just got Yoko Envigors on the Porsche. Let's see how they hold up.
__________________
'99 Boxster Artic Silver/Red
'14 Subaru Outback
'06 EG Classic
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
The next day the manager called me, apologized for the mix up, he said parts ordered the wrong tires. He offered to get the Hankooks for me or give me the Continentals for the Hankook price.
Good for you. And good for insisting they correct their problem. This was handled well by you and the dealership. Good customer service and problem solving.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc-i View Post
I have a 99 Boxster and I have been very happy with Sumitomo HTZ IIs and HTZ IIIs.

I purchase them from Tire Rack and have them shipped to my door, then I take them to the local dealer to have them installed.

They are very inexpensive and I usually get 15,500 to 16,500 miles out of the rear tires and well over 30,000 miles out of the fronts.

The last time I purchased HTZ IIIs they were $86.00 for a front tire and $114.00 for a rear tire. Shipping of four tires to my door was $50.00.

Since I have to change out rear tires so often, I think I will stick with the Sumitomo HTZ IIs or HTZ IIIs. The HTZ IIs are even cheaper.

MNC-I

Agree with the Sumitomo HTZ IIIs......Just put a new set on my 2003 986 and they are fantastic!
Marburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Beelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockmeister View Post
I just had a blowout on one of my rear tires. Now I'm either going to get 4 less expensive tires or 2 good ones. For all 4 I'm thinking Hancook e4 all seasons, or Dunlop sports. If I get just 2, I'm thinking Michelin sport all season. Any thoughs?
I am running Dunlops and like the way the track and they seem to stick a little better
than the Michelin PS2's.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: cali
Posts: 176
Wow you got lucky, I wish they would do that to me.







Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
I ordered Hankook V12's for my 1999 Boxster from a local dealer as they had the Hunter balancing machine and the price was okay. When I picked the car up later that day it had Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it, with a higher price! When I pointed this out the salesman he acted like he couldn't believe it, didn't know how this could have happened. I told him to remove them and put my old tires back on as the Hankooks had to be ordered again. The next day the manager called me, apologized for the mix up, he said parts ordered the wrong tires. He offered to get the Hankooks for me or give me the Continentals for the Hankook price. I did some research on the Continentals and decided to keep them at the lower price. So far I have no complaints about them, the ride is quiet, they look good on the car and they are a more expensive tire than the Hankooks.

trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page