Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

front end rattle when warm

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me on this:

My car feel tight when cold and after driving it more than 1/2 hour, my front end make noises when hitting a pavement crack at lower speed (mostly around 10-25mph). It sounds like you put a bolt in a cardboard box.
Sent to to mechanic and they could not find anything wrong.
I even checked all the components myself and could not find any play in the suspension. After reading couple cases similar to mine, I went ahead to replace the drop link, sway bar bushing, inner/outer tie rods and the noise is still there.
I'm really out of idea on what to replace.
The car has 52K miles.

Thinking about throwing new control arms (fork and wishbone) and put new shocks and mount... But if I do that it means I put all new front suspension

Anybody has similar experience or idea where the noise comes from??

laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
I know it sounds stupid but I came across that many times. Last time was last month when my friend told me he thinks his rear suspension is fried.
Every time he hit a road bump, he heard a "clanck" noise fro the back of the car.
Turn out to be a loos part of the convertible top.
Another friend tried to locate a noise for 6 months (non Porsche car)! Just to find out it was a soda can under the seat.
Now, I'm not sang that's the case with you. And I apologies if I offend your in any way, but check if you have anything "rolling" in your front trunk. Maybe the jack or the tool kit.
It sounds like you know your way around your car, and if you didn't see anything wrong in your suspension (and so is your mechanic), could be nothing is wrong with it.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #3

I removed everything from the car. Even took out the spare and jack from the front trunk.
noise definitely comes.from the front because it happens when front tires hit the bump but before the rear goes through the same bump. It comes from outside (more audible when you stick your head out).
contemplating with idea of putting row m030 along with new control arms for next years driving season...

How much better is row m030 compared to us m030 and base suspension???
Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

I have a similar rattle on the right front of my 2002S when I make a tight slow left hand turn. I've been under the car and didn't find any obvious play in any of the suspension. I don't hear it any time else.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Well I guess I found the noise source.. Tried to check the upper strut mount (and set it to 27lb-ft) and they were all loose. Managed to torqued 5 of them to 27lb-ft and the last one broke on me...
I guess it might be time to get new struts and all the mounting hardware...
Can't believe that stud broke just like that....
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Can't you just replace the stud?

I have noise coming from the front of my car as well, I'm 99% sure it's the sway bar bushings/mounts. Just have to get some time to get the car in the air and inspect it.

Nick
white out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

Did you ever remove the front fender wheel panels and check to see if anything there has loosened up. On the drivers side is the windshield wiper reservoir for the fluid.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #8

check the frunk lid. it may be a loose latch . The clunking sound it can make sounds and feels like something is loose in the front suspension.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Update... fixed the issue..
I think it was either the strut or track arm. When I pulled the strut and removed the spring, it is very soft amd I can compress it easily. The new bilstein sport are very stiff. Also the front track arm bushing was soft compared to new one..
I ended up replacing all front end including control arms

Now the front end feels great but the back a little bit bouncy.. I guess I will install all new parts there too..
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
1999 base

Garage
great to hear you solved your problem.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote