Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #6401

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Yesterday I: Ripped off the rear bumper, Cut part of the bent exhaust off with a Sawzall, Blew my front struts, and eventually seized the engine. It was the most fun I've had in a Boxster Ever. :dance:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/hooptiex-oklahoma-2021-rednecks-off-road-415138
https://www.facebook.com/NorthTexasRallycross/?fref=tag
I love it they have a first gen RX7 on their front page. I love my lemons races, but I'm a mechanic I just love fixing my buddies cars when they pit in.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:49 AM   #6402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Yesterday I: Ripped off the rear bumper, Cut part of the bent exhaust off with a Sawzall, Blew my front struts, and eventually seized the engine. It was the most fun I've had in a Boxster Ever. :dance:
Uh oh, sounds like someone might have the bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Jon and Woody are out tearing through the desert in their Boxsters, cutting them up with Sawzalls, blowing up engines and having a great time.

Meanwhile I'm afraid to get a speck of dust on mine.
RX is a lot easier and cheaper than SPB. Just saying
Old 09-22-2021, 03:43 AM   #6403

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Jon and Woody are out tearing through the desert in their Boxsters, cutting them up with Sawzalls, blowing up engines and having a great time.

Meanwhile I'm afraid to get a speck of dust on mine.
LOL! No doubt.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:29 AM   #6404

Coolant Reservoir

Replaced the coolant reservoir this weekend. Wow...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #6405
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Replaced the coolant reservoir this weekend. Wow...
Tell us about it. What was the easiest task? The most difficult? How long did it take you. Did you invent any new profanities? Share.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #6406

Garage
Got a wave from a lady in a Ferrari F8!!
Old 09-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #6407

78F350,..How did U louver the hood,.? R those welded in or stamped ? Thanks !
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #6408
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
78F350,..How did U louver the hood,.? R those welded in or stamped ? Thanks !
It is just cut into the hood metal. I marked it out to (mostly) miss the framework, then drilled holes at the ends and bent the middle.

It was all carefully planned and designed using the latest available technology:

With just a single Boxster radiator in the center in 90+ degree weather 'racing' Autocross, Rallycross, and a few drag strip runs with nitrous, the engine did not overheat.

Last edited by 78F350; 09-22-2021 at 04:23 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #6409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Tell us about it. What was the easiest task? The most difficult? How long did it take you. Did you invent any new profanities? Share.

No new cuss words, just the same old ones. Out in about an hour, less than two to get the new one back in. Less “fiddley” than replacing the convertible top but not without some issues. Best recommendations are to 1) use a set of cable pliers for the spring clamps and 2) remove the flexible oil fill tube which will give you a lot more room to access the hoses and clamps. I chose not to cut the tank out. Not as bad a job as it has been made out to be. Good luck if you have to replace yours. PM me and I’ll be glad to walk anyone through the process if needed.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #6410

Bought a new stable mate for our 550SE and Audi S5. 400hp 2018 Macan Turbo (CPO). Our new ‘gofer’. Really love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #6411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Bought a new stable mate for our 550SE and Audi S5. 400hp 2018 Macan Turbo (CPO). Our new ‘gofer’. Really love it!
Congrats on the Macan, Fred. One of my partners has the Macan Turbo and my wife just got a base Macan. They are great cars, you will love it!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #6412

My car is having new transmission mounts and a new AOS installed. When my engine was rebuilt we discussed replacing the transmission mounts but it turns out the originals were re-used. The mid pipes of exhaust had been contacting the rear sway bar and the cause of this was failed motor mounts. One of the mid pipes had already been rewelded and now the other side will be rewelded too. The AOS is being replaced as a preventative after an oil smoke bomb situation at Watkins Glen last week.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #6413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sent you a PM
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #6414

Garage
Changed the oil and filter, then got the hardtop out of storage and installed it for the rainy season. RainX'd the windows and headlights and ready for the Fall and Winter.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:33 AM   #6415

Garage
Put the hardtop on for the fall season. Wife had a spa appointment right next to the cannabis store. I told her to go to the cannabis store first so she could be relaxed for her spa appointment :dance:
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:20 AM   #6416

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
Put the hardtop on for the fall season. Wife had a spa appointment right next to the cannabis store. I told her to go to the cannabis store first so she could be relaxed for her spa appointment :dance:
Did you use a template for the updated lettering?
Old 09-27-2021, 05:32 AM   #6417

Garage
I used these measurements for the P and the E and then I used painters tape under the letters in a straight line and spaced the remaining letters out evenly. I didn't like the template that came with the letters from Suncoast, the letters were to far apart. I also didn't like the way they looked when I tried following the same curve as the Boxster letters. Hope that helps. It takes a bit of patience to get them all spaced out evenly.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #6418

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
I used these measurements for the P and the E and then I used painters tape under the letters in a straight line and spaced the remaining letters out evenly. I didn't like the template that came with the letters from Suncoast, the letters were to far apart. I also didn't like the way they looked when I tried following the same curve as the Boxster letters. Hope that helps. It takes a bit of patience to get them all spaced out evenly.
Helps tremendously, thanks!
Old 09-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #6419

Garage
You're welcome Radman. You will have to make sure that the P and the E are straight. If you look at the picture with the measurements you will notice that, that person put the letters following the trunk curve, mine are straight. Once I had the P and the E in place I placed the template above them to make sure they were straight. If I had to do it again I would center the S and work my way to the outsides, it would've been a lot easier. I only though about that after I was almost done.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #6420
Teddyonine

Garage
Today I looked longingly at my car. Just dealt with 3 heart attacks, stents and a quadruple bypass in the last 2 weeks. That’s the easy part- I can’t drive for 6 weeks and by then the snow will be flying…. Spring is a long ways off…..

Teddyonine is offline   Reply With Quote