Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #5961

Garage
^^^^Now that is some patience! Nice job

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #5962
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Installed a set of OE carbon fiber doorsill covers.
Attached Images

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #5963

Finished changing out all four O2 sensors. Seems to have worked. Will drive some more to confirm.

Pretty straight forward job. But one O2 sensors needed a few days of PB blaster soaking, heat application and general abuse to finnaly break free.

I used the Bosch sensors where you reuse the factory harness. Save a pretty generous amount of money doing so as well. And happy to report they work fine. In case anyone is wondering.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #5964
Will there be cake?

Garage
Reglued leather trim on door, looks great! Dash will be MUCH tougher. The other boxster didn’t have the option, so this was a first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #5965

Those emblems look great. You must be a patient person!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 PM   #5966

Garage
Happened to notice the mileage while I was sitting at a traffic light today.
This Boxster has proven to be a great value and a fun toy. Not nearly as many miles as some people, but I'm expecting to get many more!
Old 09-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #5967
1998 Boxster Owner

Put in a new battery - had to order a new vent hose elbow. The previous battery had a different type.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #5968

I've payed a big bill and i'm pissed.

This was done by an indy Porsche workshop:
- Clutch, DMF, pressure plate, release bearing, spring clutch pedal
- IMS bearing and crankshaft seal
- Water pump, thermostate and coolant fluid change
- Front engine mount
- Engine oil change and filter
- Brake pads front and rear (Brembo) and damping plates
- Brake fluid change
- Bearings stabilizer front and rear

Work and materials were around 4K € / 4,7K USD.

Now the whole car is vibrating starting from light engine load. I can feel it in the centre console, clutch pedal and gas pedal. Vibrations are caused by the engine. If i press the cutch the vibrations go away immediately.

If i shut down the engine it makes a clonk sound. It didn't do that before the repair.

The exhaust heat shields or something that sounds exactly the same rattles.

And by the way the old IMS bearing (single row) was in perfect condition at 100k Km (62k miles). Both seals were 100% OK, bearing has absolutely no play.

IMS bearing was replaced by an open roller bearing. Not shure if that was a good decision.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #5969

So I went to roll up my window today, and noises happened but no window.

The little cable had come unfettered. I worked it back in but I wasn't satisfied with the tension that the cable had.

So I went to "rednecking". I had on hand some tensioners from a Jeep Cherokee (I had catabolized a customer's old regulator when I replaced his; I kept them because they seemed useful). Glad I saved them. Slapped them on the Porsche cable and twisted a spring around the tensioner and called it good.

Tighter than a virgin, um, well you know the thing. LOL

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 09-21-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #5970

Last edited by piper6909; 09-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #5971

Garage
Qingdao, I like your solution. I'm going to have to rummage around my local scrapyard to see if I can find a couple of those for my car. Both of my windows started to not drop last week when the smoke was at its worst. I'm a little tired of pushing my window down that quarter inch before closing my door with the top up.

Thanks,
Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #5972

Garage
No more vibrations @ 3000rpm

Replaced spark plugs, new spark plug tubes, installed new HT coil packs, and did an oil and filter change. Now she purrs with no rumble at at 3000 rpm. Hopefully the oil leak goes away too with the new spark plug tubes. Will find out tomorrow morning, to see if there is a spot on the floor at the right side by the tire.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:00 AM   #5973

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
I've payed a big bill and i'm pissed.

This was done by an indy Porsche workshop:
- Clutch, DMF, pressure plate, release bearing, spring clutch pedal
- IMS bearing and crankshaft seal
- Water pump, thermostate and coolant fluid change
- Front engine mount
- Engine oil change and filter
- Brake pads front and rear (Brembo) and damping plates
- Brake fluid change
- Bearings stabilizer front and rear

Work and materials were around 4K € / 4,7K USD.

Now the whole car is vibrating starting from light engine load. I can feel it in the centre console, clutch pedal and gas pedal. Vibrations are caused by the engine. If i press the cutch the vibrations go away immediately.

If i shut down the engine it makes a clonk sound. It didn't do that before the repair.

The exhaust heat shields or something that sounds exactly the same rattles.

And by the way the old IMS bearing (single row) was in perfect condition at 100k Km (62k miles). Both seals were 100% OK, bearing has absolutely no play.

IMS bearing was replaced by an open roller bearing. Not shure if that was a good decision.
I hope that gets sorted before anything is damaged!
Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #5974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Replaced spark plugs, new spark plug tubes, installed new HT coil packs, and did an oil and filter change. Now she purrs with no rumble at at 3000 rpm. Hopefully the oil leak goes away too with the new spark plug tubes. Will find out tomorrow morning, to see if there is a spot on the floor at the right side by the tire.
Hmmm... I still have the light rumble on 3000rpm after fixing the vibrations on the same rpm by swapping engine and transmission mounts.
Also, have changed the plugs, plug tubes, oil & filter, but not the coils. Could it be that the coilpacks would be reason for my car's rumble?
Car is 2001 2.7 Boxster.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #5975
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Hmmm... I still have the light rumble on 3000rpm after fixing the vibrations on the same rpm by swapping engine and transmission mounts.
Also, have changed the plugs, plug tubes, oil & filter, but not the coils. Could it be that the coilpacks would be reason for my car's rumble?
Car is 2001 2.7 Boxster.
These cars make a rumbling sound right at 3,000 rpm, due to a resonance in the engine. Mine does it, but I only hear it while in the lower gears where the road noise is lower.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #5976

Garage
Quote:
Car is 2001 2.7 Boxster.
Pilot4fn, The coil packs can definitely be one of the causes. My car is a 2001 S with 106000 miles, I did everything you have done as well. I got help from this forum, the guys here know their stuff. Coil packs are one of the items that was highly recommended to fix this problem. I've only put in about 50 miles since doing this service, but from what I noticed, the rumble is gone. Also, the Pelican site says to change the spark plugs every 10000 miles, so if you've got more than that on plugs you currently have, I would change both of them at the same time. Your already in there, so why not. I had over 20k miles on the plugs and when I took them out, the tips were almost gone. I replaced the coil packs about 8k miles ago with a set my friend gave me, he said they were only about 30k on them. I think the combination of not changing the spark plugs and using old coil packs may have been my issue. I'm not gonna mess around with used ignition parts anymore. LOL. Good Luck.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #5977

Quote:
... Also, the Pelican site says to change the spark plugs every 10000 miles...
Seriously? 10K?? I get well over 100K on my Chrysler and Subaru spark plugs!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #5978

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Seriously? 10K?? I get well over 100K on my Chrysler and Subaru spark plugs!
psh lightweights.

I do about 5 k on my RX7; then I torch them and brush off the carbon build up.

Piolet4fn: do you have any CELs? Do you have any pending CELs?

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #5979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
These cars make a rumbling sound right at 3,000 rpm, due to a resonance in the engine. Mine does it, but I only hear it while in the lower gears where the road noise is lower.
Sounds like exactly what is with my car has. Light rumble but it's annoying, since speeds I drive here is fairly much on close to 3000rpm. I'd like to think that Porsche cars would run smooth thru out the rpm - at least my two previous ones were (1986 944 and 1985 Carrera 3.2).

Quote:
Pilot4fn, The coil packs can definitely be one of the causes. My car is a 2001 S with 106000 miles, I did everything you have done as well. I got help from this forum, the guys here know their stuff. Coil packs are one of the items that was highly recommended to fix this problem. I've only put in about 50 miles since doing this service, but from what I noticed, the rumble is gone. Also, the Pelican site says to change the spark plugs every 10000 miles, so if you've got more than that on plugs you currently have, I would change both of them at the same time. Your already in there, so why not. I had over 20k miles on the plugs and when I took them out, the tips were almost gone. LOL. Good Luck.
I changed the plugs approx 5000miles ago and the current plugs condition is very good. Car runs awesome besides the light rumbele at 3000rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Piolet4fn: do you have any CELs? Do you have any pending CELs?
No CEL's of any kind of, not even pending ones. I have Durametric and that can't find any issues - at least so far.

Also, regardless of the weather (dry and sunny, humid, misty, heavy rain, etc.) car runs real well. My understanding is that if coilspacks are going bad, most of the time it would be related to cracks on the coilpacks and cause problems especially on the wet weather driving conditions.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #5980

Quote:
Car runs awesome besides the light rumbele at 3000rpm
Do you mean the exhaust resonance at around 3.000 rpm or are there real vibrations somwhere in the cabin or stearing or somewhere else noticable?

What engine mounts did you use? The original Porsche front mounts have a new design. This mount might cause the problem with vibrations in my car. But my vibrations are in every rpm range.