Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2020, 04:03 AM   #5741
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
I am so OCD!!! Put together a maintenance record spreadsheet, not bad for first 6 months of ownership lol. The engine is smooth as a swiss watch, exterior is near perfect, and after completing the remainder of a full suspension refresh this winter will be like a brand new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I have one for my 5 years of ownership with every service, part and accessory documented - with $$ spent. It’s password protected, and my wife does not have the password

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #5742

Wisely, you did not include $$$ spent!
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Yep, I have one for my 5 years of ownership with every service, part and accessory documented - with $$ spent. It’s password protected, and my wife does not have the password

Lol, thats why I did not include the costs also, mine would freak out if she knew how much I spent, even though I call it hers!

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #5744

Today the 997 shifter went in, excellent improvement!

My spreadsheet doesn’t include $ either.......

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #5745
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post

-Eric
Now you’ll need the Phenix shifter bushings for an even better improvement.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #5746
TRP

Tried to reset these cursed emissions monitors for the 1000'th time. Drive cycles are hard.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #5747
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Tried to reset these cursed emissions monitors for the 1000'th time. Drive cycles are hard.
I have used the following a couple of times successfully;

Do you know what monitors are showing as not ready? If you have an OBDII reader you can plug it in and it will show you what monitors are not ready. I had a problem with my Oxygen sensor monitor and followed this drive cycle and it cleared..GOOD LUCK!

Below we outline the driving pattern you'll need to perform in order to get your Porsche's OBD-II emission monitors to become READY or COMPLETE. Perform the entire drive cycle. Completing only one portion of the drive cycle will not make the particular monitor which you're trying to make READY complete. The entire drive cycle must be performed every time you attempt the set any of the monitors.

Porsche 911 Drive Cycle - OBDII Emission Monitor Reset Procedure

Prior to starting the driving cycle ensure your Porsche's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Also do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph during any portion of the drive cycle. Take extra caution when perform the Porsche drive cycle on public roadways. if you think you will be unable to safely perform the drive cycle please seek assistance from an experienced Porsche mechanic or smog check repair center.

A. Start your Porsche 911 and let it idle for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This will allow the ECU to diagnose oxygen sensor aging; meaning the computer will be monitoring the oxygen sensor warm-up period and reaction to rising exhaust temperatures. During this period the ECU is also testing the Secondary Air Injection system.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain your speed for 3 1/2 minutes. The ECU will be testing catalytic converter efficiency.

C. Next, accelerate to 40-60 MPH. Once again maintain steady speed, this time for approximately 15 minutes. The EVAP system is now being tested along with adaptation range (2) and the oxygen sensor (switching).

D. Decelerate and come to a complete stop. If equipped with a manual transmission, idle in neutral for 3 minutes. If equipped with an automatic Tiptronic transmission, idle in drive (D) for 3 minutes. Adaptation range (2) is now being tested.

E. Repeat steps B through D. Drive cycle complete.

I followed the instructions provided by the San Diego PCA Tech Advisor and it worked

Drive in 10 minute cycles 1400-2800 Rpm in 5-6 gear as slow as you can drive in light traffic.
If you stop or go out of RPM range the cycle resets the timer.
After 5-6 cycles you will probably have it.
For evap you must have 1/3-2/3 of a tank of fuel.
Start the car cold and let it idle for 10 minutes with lots of accessories on. (lights, A/C or heater)
Do the same at the end of the drive cycle.

It took 3 cycles of slow freeway driving to get it reset
I drove in 6th at around 58 MPH
People were looking at me oddly driving a Porsche so slow!
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #5748
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
In the final stages of wrapping up reassembling the interior. May as well show off the new lighting.
Attached Images

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #5749

Garage
Nice!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #5750
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post

Do you know what monitors are showing as not ready? If you have an OBDII reader you can plug it in and it will show you what monitors are not ready. I had a problem with my Oxygen sensor monitor and followed this drive cycle and it cleared..GOOD LUCK!
I have a FOXWELL reader. It is showing two catalytic monitors as not 'ready'. I started a thread with what I tried yesterday.

I'll try again.

Thx
Ted
Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #5751
TRP

Sitting on the off ramp of 101 for the second "Come to a stop and idle for N minutes"

How critical is the "under 3k" or 'under 30mph'?

On the second 20-30 range I broke out 3100 rpm and 31mph. Once. So I started that stage over.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #5752
TRP

No joy. Still not re-set.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #5753

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post

Below we outline the driving pattern you'll need to perform in order to get your Porsche's OBD-II emission monitors to become READY or COMPLETE. Perform the entire drive cycle. Completing only one portion of the drive cycle will not make the particular monitor which you're trying to make READY complete. The entire drive cycle must be performed every time you attempt the set any of the monitors.

Porsche 911 Drive Cycle - OBDII Emission Monitor Reset Procedure

Prior to starting the driving cycle ensure your Porsche's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Also do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph during any portion of the drive cycle. Take extra caution when perform the Porsche drive cycle on public roadways. if you think you will be unable to safely perform the drive cycle please seek assistance from an experienced Porsche mechanic or smog check repair center.

A. Start your Porsche 911 and let it idle for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This will allow the ECU to diagnose oxygen sensor aging; meaning the computer will be monitoring the oxygen sensor warm-up period and reaction to rising exhaust temperatures. During this period the ECU is also testing the Secondary Air Injection system.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain your speed for 3 1/2 minutes. The ECU will be testing catalytic converter efficiency.

C. Next, accelerate to 40-60 MPH. Once again maintain steady speed, this time for approximately 15 minutes. The EVAP system is now being tested along with adaptation range (2) and the oxygen sensor (switching).

D. Decelerate and come to a complete stop. If equipped with a manual transmission, idle in neutral for 3 minutes. If equipped with an automatic Tiptronic transmission, idle in drive (D) for 3 minutes. Adaptation range (2) is now being tested.

E. Repeat steps B through D. Drive cycle complete.

I followed the instructions provided by the San Diego PCA Tech Advisor and it worked

Drive in 10 minute cycles 1400-2800 Rpm in 5-6 gear as slow as you can drive in light traffic.
If you stop or go out of RPM range the cycle resets the timer.
After 5-6 cycles you will probably have it.
For evap you must have 1/3-2/3 of a tank of fuel.
Start the car cold and let it idle for 10 minutes with lots of accessories on. (lights, A/C or heater)
Do the same at the end of the drive cycle.

It took 3 cycles of slow freeway driving to get it reset
I drove in 6th at around 58 MPH
People were looking at me oddly driving a Porsche so slow!
I'm dealing with this same issue now, but my Autel is not indicating that any systems are "not ready", unless I'm not looking in the right place. I will try this routine, but it's not that easy where I live with stop lights every quarter mile and freeways that run either at 80mph or completely stop & go...
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #5754

Quote:

My spreadsheet doesn’t include $ either.......

-Eric

Yikes, bad idea......I just went through and added prices to my spreadsheet and have already spent more than what I paid for the car

Old 06-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #5755

New jackstands, i may feel safer under these! Also replaced fuel door bracket that was cracked.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #5756

Tracked down the coolant smell in the trunk to the bleeder valve....... I'm hoping the o-rings clear this up...... (tank was replaced two years ago.... by previous owner......)

-Eric
Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #5757
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Be careful when you reinstall the screws, they are going into plastic. Tighten them evenly. Think wheel lug nuts star pattern. Otherwise the one o-ring will want to squeeze out the side.

Quote:
Tracked down the coolant smell in the trunk to the bleeder valve....... I'm hoping the o-rings clear this up...... (tank was replaced two years ago.... by previous owner......)

-Eric
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #5758

Thanks, the whole tank doesn't look like much fun to replace!

-Eric
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #5759

Talking Keys

Went to dealer for first time today. One new key, with out electronics and my key with electronics fixed. Was told I needed a new sending unit in it also, what ever that is.
Called last week and was told $165.00 for key and $180.00 for programing. After they looked it over they called and said it will be only $675.00.
Love my Boxster
steve richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #5760

Couple of days ago, I upgraded the dash speakers with Audison APX-4 speakers. About $180/pair. I didn't do the work myself. They were highly recommended by my audio tech guy. He works mostly on Porsches and says he puts these into just about every Porsche he works on. Never gets complaints.

Made a HUGE difference, and that's an understatement.

Earlier this year, I upgraded the head unit with a double din Pioneer 2500 and a new amp.

https://www.audison.eu/products/apx-4/

Last edited by BoxMann; 06-02-2020 at 09:32 AM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote