Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #5641

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
I wish you luck! Taking old headers off are the only thing that gives me anxiety these days when it comes to wrenching on my cars.
It was no trouble at all. I jacked the vehicle up the night before and soaked everything down with PB Blaster. All the bolts came off without any difficulty at all! Huge win!

I'm struggling to figure out the rear O2 sensors. The pre-cat O2 sensors were no big deal; I just unbolted the mount, broke off a tab, rotated the mount back about 45 degrees, and reattached. So the pre-cat sensors are in place as before.

BUT, the 200-cell catted mid-pipes place the post-cat O2 sensor so far back that the wire for the factory rear O2 sensor is too short to reach the connector. I unbolted that connector from the block as well and I'm going to look "up top" tomorrow to see if I can loosen anything on top of the motor to get a bit more slack in the cable, but I'm thinking I need a longer O2 sensor. I'm afraid that if I hack and splice longer wires into the sensor my voltage won't be right and I'll get CEL.

What are other folks doing to accommodate post-cat O2 sensors on catted mid-pipes?

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #5642

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post

What are other folks doing to accommodate post-cat O2 sensors on catted mid-pipes?
See my pair of posts here: Headers and high flow cats

Works perfectly.

DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #5643

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
I'm still a bit confused. I installed headers and 200 cell catted midpipes today and the rear O2 sensors are too short. (NA spec 2004 986.2S (3.2) model). I'm afraid that if I splice in additional wire, the resistance won't be correct and I'll get CEL. Are there longer O2 sensors available that will connect? What are other people doing to run the post-cat O2 sensors on NA vehicles?
I've been running now two weeks and approx 900km with post CAT extensions as seen on the image with not a single CEL on NA spec 2001 Boxster 2.7.

The cable I used to make these extensions is 18 gauge or 1mm size automotive wire (RS Pro 1225866 - 1mm).
Old 04-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #5644

Just picked up a set of eibach lowering springs. Not sure if/when I'll install them. I just finished installing Boxster S struts and springs. I think I'll ride around this summer on those before I decide to put the lowering springs in and try them out.

Last edited by Zzorro; 04-21-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #5645
jcp

Decided to tackle the strut replacement project today (Konis). I tried to cheep out and not replace the upper mounts. The rubber insert has cracks of course. Now I’m going to have to wait a couple of days to receive them. What everyone else says is true.....just go ahead and change every piece that has rubber, ball joints or spherical bearings in the entire suspension and be done with it.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #5646
Terrible Tuner

Garage
I went ahead and learn to tune my 99' Boxster. Now she revs up to 7.2k versus 6.8k. This means more mods coming soon. I'm so excited.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #5647

I've been chipping away at some carpentry work to improve the sounds. It's a non Bose car so only had the diskettes in the dash. Decided to add 4x6 Pioneers to the rear cubby. A satisfying job. Not finished yet but getting there. Need to secure them in place and decide if I will do a fabric or metal cause for the opening.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #5648

Deleted the secondary Cats on my 2002 Boxster S. Then took her for a nice drive up and down the coast!
hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #5649

Garage
Started to chase down the fob not working/passenger door won’t lock/alarm control module doesn’t light up/two beeps gremlin and the driver heated seat not working issues.

1. Re: the alarm control module, took out seats, replaced 15a fuse just to be safe, opened up case, both sides looks dry as a bone. Put everything back, crossed fingers, turned car back on... still not working. Will start focusing in on the passenger door latch tomorrow. Only thing that stood out as odd was the passenger pan had two ground wires, but driver only had one. Normal?

2. Re: heated seat, passenger side works, changed relays/changed switches, driver side still didn’t work. As per one of the threads, tried the continuity test, seat back showed no current (seat bottom was fine), did the short circuit/splice wire solution. Put everything back, crossed fingers, turned car back on... still not working. Unsure of next steps here (in-car fuses are fine).

0/2 today, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #5650

Omes986, I covet the condition of your CLU board. Mine looks nothing like that, but still runs and drives! So it's on my list to address.

I changed out front sway bar bushings.........and broke one of bolts.......should have been a simple job..........
Old 04-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #5651

Started the process to pull the engine for the first time. Bad intermix issues. Got the cats off and was lucky enough to find oil pouring out of the exhaust manifolds. On a car that hasn't even been turned over in 18 months.
Aanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #5652

Removed the front bumper and air ducts and cleaned out the condensers and radiators. Ordered grill screens to be placed on the bumper openings.
Went to reroute the emergency frunk release cable to the tow hook opening but found that cable is jammed somewhere. If I pull on the looped end it does not move freely to the latch. Will have to investigate that tomorrow. Front of car is on jack stands with e-brake on and wheel chocks in place on the rear wheels.

2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #5653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
I've been chipping away at some carpentry work to improve the sounds. It's a non Bose car so only had the diskettes in the dash. Decided to add 4x6 Pioneers to the rear cubby. A satisfying job. Not finished yet but getting there. Need to secure them in place and decide if I will do a fabric or metal cause for the opening.

Nice, i am not happy with the sound of the 4” speakers I have in there, and going to do the same to mine with 4x6.

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:40 AM   #5654
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Installed a 997 shifter last night.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:13 AM   #5655

Garage
This is a late post: Last Tuesday I ordered two new shocks for the rear trunk lid, and front Lower Control Arms. They all arrived on time. Of course, it all came from Pelican.

Wednesday, I suffered a stroke, being hospitalized until Friday evening. The doctor says no driving. I have already started Physical Therapy. I am looking for small daily improvements to lead to big changes.

The positive is that with one fully functioning hand and ingenuity, I was able to install the two trunk lid shocks. Small changes. I know it will be while before getting under the car for LCA install is an option.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #5656

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
This is a late post: Last Tuesday I ordered two new shocks for the rear trunk lid, and front Lower Control Arms. They all arrived on time. Of course, it all came from Pelican.

Wednesday, I suffered a stroke, being hospitalized until Friday evening. The doctor says no driving. I have already started Physical Therapy. I am looking for small daily improvements to lead to big changes.

The positive is that with one fully functioning hand and ingenuity, I was able to install the two trunk lid shocks. Small changes. I know it will be while before getting under the car for LCA install is an option.
Wow! Glad you are remaining positive. LCA can wait. How much longer before you get to drive?
Old 04-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #5657

Took a spin for my daughter bday quarantine parade.

https://youtu.be/hntgDx1SPHY

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #5658

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Wow! Glad you are remaining positive. LCA can wait. How much longer before you get to drive?
I have to get Physical Therapy to approve. Thier approval will depend upon my progress in healing. Fortunately the hit was not in mental abilities. I can barely hold a fork with my left hand. I am seeing small improvments daily. Thursday I could not make the OK sign. Now I can.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #5659

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
I have to get Physical Therapy to approve. Thier approval will depend upon my progress in healing. Fortunately the hit was not in mental abilities. I can barely hold a fork with my left hand. I am seeing small improvments daily. Thursday I could not make the OK sign. Now I can.
Prayers and best wishes for you. Sounds like you're hanging tough and ready to get after it. Let's hope for a short term minor setback!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #5660

Ordered some bits for a busy weekend:
* Discovered cracked ignition coils when I attempted to change plugs, so new coils en route for install with new plugs
* Burned a hole in PS pressure line (contact with new header; doh!) so that's on order
* Plan to disassemble and clean intake since I need to remove left side to access PS line. "While I'm in there..." I'm installing 74mm throttle body and 997 plenum
* IPD intake hose and clamps also en route for clean install

Fingers crossed for a successful several hours in the garage this weekend.

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote