Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #5441

Went skiing today. Dissected my SeaSucker bike rack and made it work for the skis.

Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #5442

Just drove it around the area for a hour or so. Didn't even have a reason, just wanted to stretch it legs some. Still smile every time I run thru the gears.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #5443

Winter projects

I finished a few of my winter projects already. Installed Ben's Short Shifter Kit along with a new ICT shift knob and boot. Spent three days doing some paint corrections and waxing. I finally installed a new ignition switch and now my key doesn't take all my might to turn. Next will be a new Xtrons Double Din Head unit and while I have the dash apart I will tape up the flaps that control the heat.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #5444

Like "New" @F18febe. Stunning, the whole set-up too... workbench, all!

------
Took my Boxster for an "all" fluids change today. Good reminder of how much the maintenance products goes for this car; M1, Porsche pink coolant, jeez man... :/ Pre-ordered air and cabin filters, new coils & plugs, new serpentine belt (just in case) and wheel bearings so this will all have to go in next week or the following one. Looking forward driving this car in a week or two!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #5445
TRP

Used some Dr. Colorchip on a fender and a few nicks in the door jamb. Just trying a few spots to see how it works.

I'm sold. Not difficult to use and works great. I'm impressed.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:07 PM   #5446
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Time for the green one to go... Today I flipped it and stripped it.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #5447

Installed a 997 Shifter and Revised E-Brake Switch

I had to take out the center console to re-paint it. The silver paint was bubbling in a few places. While I had the console out, I installed the 997 shifter that I bought used about two years ago. I also installed the revised e-brake switch. My e-brake switch had been sticking from time-to-time which interfered with the soft-top operation.

Here are some pictures of the old and new shifters. The first two photos show the 997 shifter and the third is the original 986 shifter. The 997 shifter has a substantial metal mounting bracket that attaches the mechanism to the shift lever.

The shifts with the 997 part are much more precise and the distance I need to move the gear lever between gears is slightly shorter than with the 986 factory part. Porsche made a short shifter for the 997, but that has a different part number.
Attached Images

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #5448

off to Alameda .. USS Hornet .. for dinner/dance to ring in New Year last night

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #5449
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I took the 'muffler' off and sent it to Hasbro to help him lighten his car. I kind of miss it already even though I wasn't driving that car for the last few months. I think I'll make another.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #5450

Today was a nice 30 mile drive with the sun out. Yesterday, the same trip during a driving rainstorm. The car is a daily driver and is as reliable as a fine canine. Word!!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #5451
TRP

Resumed work on my Stereo install. Hoping to wrap the job up over the 3 day weekend.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #5452
TRP

Today... Today I hope to wrap up the stereo install. Just have to wire up the D-4.800 and then clean up the garage.

So far this weekend I installed Focal 3 way components (6", 3.25", tweeter), Sony AV-7000 (Deck powers the rear shelf), micro bypass, xm radio hide away antenna pedestal). No sub. Kind of sucks but I cant see stuffing something in the foot well or behind the seat.

Once I get the amp installed I'll need to tune the DSP. That will be interesting.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #5453

Lil'roadster made it back home yesterday! Now sporting brand new wheel bearings all around and had the whole filters, plugs, coils and belt refitted with genuine porsche parts this time (for a change lol). I was hoping to gain +425 horsepower with all that gaga but sadly the car drives just like it was before :/ Oh well...

That freaky humming wheel noise is gone now, how luv-e-ly! All mine now, time to Drive!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #5454

Re-installed the headlights after having them sanded and clear-coated locally based on a recommendation from a fellow forum member (thanks dghii). The wiring for the turn signals crumbled when I pulled the headlights out so while they were being reworked I dismantled the connectors and replaced the insulation with heat shrink. Before re-installing, I peeked inside the headlights to check all the other wiring fearing it might also be crumbling. Yeah! Everything looked good. Well, that was until I started to replace the parking signal bulbs. The wires crumbled if you looked at them much less touch them. So, for the moment I just taped up the exposed wires with electrical tape until I can find the time to disassemble everything and either replace the wiring or cover with heat shrink.

I know, I know. I should have stopped and repaired the issue properly. But sometimes I just want to drive the car instead of always working on it. Can you ever get ahead of the maintenance on this car? Just venting ......

Last edited by alynch; 01-20-2020 at 05:41 PM.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #5455

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
Re-installed the headlights after having them sanded and clear-coated locally based on a recommendation from a fellow forum member
Got pics of the lights?

Last edited by piper6909; 01-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #5456

Quote:
Re-installed the headlights after having them sanded and clear-coated locally based on a recommendation from a fellow forum member (thanks dghii). The wiring for the turn signals crumbled when I pulled the headlights out so while they were being reworked I dismantled the connectors and replaced the insulation with heat shrink. Before re-installing, I peeked inside the headlights to check all the other wiring fearing it might also be crumbling. Yaah! Everything looked good. Well, that was until I started to replace the parking signal bulbs. The wires crumbled if you looked at them much less touch them. So, for the moment I just taped up the exposed wires with electrical tape until I can find the time to disassemble everything and either replace the wiring or cover with heat shrink.

I know, I know. I should have stopped and repaired the issue properly. But sometimes I just want to drive the car instead of always working on it. Can you ever get ahead of the maintenance on this car? Just venting ......
Man, I am doing the exact same thing. Except my box doesn't even run so I'm going to re-solder all the wires.

On the plus side my clear came out FABULOUS. Only a spec of trash in the amber section, but other than that its flawless. Kinda bad because now you can see the imperfections on the inside of the headlights.

^^^ before

^^^ The PO's "upgrade" for HID. LMAO yeah that screams fire hazard. Even has a little kindling paper for when the wires short and get hot.

Photos don't really do justice. This is some pretty good paint work.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 01-20-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #5457

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Got pics of the lights?
The shop did an excellent job. There were some dust particles trapped in the clear coat in the main lens area but when I pointed these out they re-sanded and re-sprayed everything. Top class folks. There are still a few dust spots but nothing major and not in the main lens. Here are the results (the lighting in the garage is not that great. The actual headlights are really clear with no hue):

Name:  Left Headlight.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  221.6 KB

Name:  Right Headlight.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  217.8 KB
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #5458

Quote:
The shop did an excellent job. There were some dust particles trapped in the clear coat in the main lens area but when I pointed these out they re-sanded and re-sprayed everything. Top class folks. There are still a few dust spots but nothing major and not in the main lens. Here are the results (the lighting in the garage is not that great. The actual headlights are really clear with no hue):
They look awesome!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #5459

This morning I glanced at the battery and battery maintainer in the garage, smiled at the little green light glowing on the maintainer then checked the calendar and realized it's only 67 days until my appointment to take my 2000 S out of storage (but who's counting?).
Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #5460

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I took the 'muffler' off and sent it to Hasbro to help him lighten his car. I kind of miss it already even though I wasn't driving that car for the last few months. I think I'll make another.

Jon, I don't blame you for wanting to make another! It sounds awesome! Granted, more of a track sound but I'm out in the boonies and the Bro Dozers (trucks) and Mustangs are every bit as loud - and they don't sound like a Porsche. Saved 21 lbs. The center is currently "attached' with a bungee cord and I understand the muffler also stabilized the suspension so that needs to be dealt with.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote