Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #5401

Garage
Two good days and a bad one

Had two really good days with the Porsche before one bad day...

Good days:

Friday morning it was time to renew my registration and we passed safety and emissions with flying colors. I was planning on taking a long drive the next day so decided to finally upgrade the head unit so I could enjoy the comforts of bluetooth and apple carplay. Moved the climate controls to behind the stick and added a double DIN Kenwood unit. I was very pleased with the way it came out. I definitely prefer the look even though it meant abandoning my original intention of keeping as stock as possible.

Saturday, woke up early and took it out for a nearly 800-mile roundtrip drive from my home in St. Louis, Missouri to South Bend, Indiana to take in a football game at Notre Dame. My Boxster did the trip very well and I was very comfortable in it even though we drove through some snow and rain. I came home more in love with my car than ever before.

Bad day:

Sunday, clean the Porsche up from the road trip and head out to run a few errands and low and behold, I get backed into by a Jeep Grand Cherokee just hard enough to damage the front bumper and hood. The driver was nice though and her insurance will pick up the damage but man alive, I was supremely pissed. Car is drivable and fixable and of course no one was hurt and could've been worse but the situation is frustrating to say the least.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #5402

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHeinzky View Post
Had two really good days with the Porsche before one bad day...

Good days:

Friday morning it was time to renew my registration and we passed safety and emissions with flying colors. I was planning on taking a long drive the next day so decided to finally upgrade the head unit so I could enjoy the comforts of bluetooth and apple carplay. Moved the climate controls to behind the stick and added a double DIN Kenwood unit. I was very pleased with the way it came out. I definitely prefer the look even though it meant abandoning my original intention of keeping as stock as possible.

Saturday, woke up early and took it out for a nearly 800-mile roundtrip drive from my home in St. Louis, Missouri to South Bend, Indiana to take in a football game at Notre Dame. My Boxster did the trip very well and I was very comfortable in it even though we drove through some snow and rain. I came home more in love with my car than ever before.

Bad day:

Sunday, clean the Porsche up from the road trip and head out to run a few errands and low and behold, I get backed into by a Jeep Grand Cherokee just hard enough to damage the front bumper and hood. The driver was nice though and her insurance will pick up the damage but man alive, I was supremely pissed. Car is drivable and fixable and of course no one was hurt and could've been worse but the situation is frustrating to say the least.
That is bummer, sorry to hear but like you said, it could have been worse.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #5403

back home

Picked my 2006 987 up from the garage today( Cavendish Porsche Long Eaton, Derby) after a g\box oil and filter change, coolant change and radio repairs( amp). So glad it is back on the drive. Many thanks for a job well done. :dance:
phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #5404
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Just enough time today for a quick drive

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #5405

Put the Blizzaks on for the winter ahead. We've already had nearly 24" of snow this season in the foothills of the Rockies so the Contis has to go off until April or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #5406
TRP

Purchased it a week ago. Drove to Carmel on Friday to pick up a replacement hardtop (dark blue, will trade for metallic black). Put stain cleaner on a big carpet stain that I was worried about. It came right out. Cleaned the interior. Ordered a few replacement parts (hard top cam locks/frunk plastic moulding/few plastic rivets) and... Ordered Soul Performance exhaust on Black Friday.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #5407

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Purchased it a week ago. Drove to Carmel on Friday to pick up a replacement hardtop (dark blue, will trade for metallic black).
Welcome to the club!
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #5408

Bilstein PSS9 coilovers with Elephant Racing hub centric spacers installed (7mm front / 10mm rear). Front lowered 15mm, rear 10mm. Will install ER rear control arms and adj toe links next week so I can get alignment where I want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 11-30-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #5409
TRP

Old Car Guy,

Car looks great. Where did you pick up the spacers?

Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #5410

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Old Car Guy,

Car looks great. Where did you pick up the spacers?

Ted
Thanks Ted.

I purchased the spacers and longer wheel lug bolts (52mm front, 55mm rear) through Pelican Parts. I couldn’t locate any 55mm lug bolts for the rear (honestly I didn’t look very hard) so I cut 60mm lugs down. You have to be certain that the rear lugs are long enough but not so long that they interfere with the e-brake inside the hub.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 12-01-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #5411
Custom User Title Here

Garage
At the marina...
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 12-10-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #5412

Car looks good PW - nice, clean updates and upgrades.

How's the new home and countryside?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
At the marina...
Not a photo background you had much access to in MO, eh?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #5414
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Car looks good PW - nice, clean updates and upgrades.

How's the new home and countryside?
Thank you
Loving the new place. We have a really nice view of the Columbia out back, forest all around...I’m looking forward to some drives out to the coast this spring and summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Not a photo background you had much access to in MO, eh?
Definitely not. I do miss the snow, though.

My son took all of the pictures. BTW.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 12-10-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #5415

Installed my DCTMS steering wheel. Cocoa with silver stitching to match my 550SE interior. Really like the smaller diameter with increased rim thickness and flat bottom.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 12-11-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #5416

I added the smaller flat bottomed wheel this spring and I love it.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #5417
Racer Boy

A couple of weekends ago I finally got my "window won't drop" issue fixed on my passenger door. After much reading, it seemed like the regulator must be the problem, so I replaced that, but that didn't solve it.

While messing around with the door innards, I noticed that if you touched the latch assembly connector, the window would drop or raise, and sometimes the horn would beep. Gee, I thought, that doesn't seem right!

A new door latch later ($400 - my car has the factory security system) and it works perfectly now! That solves the last remaining issue that the car had when I bought it as a project four years ago.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #5418
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
A couple of weekends ago I finally got my "window won't drop" issue fixed on my passenger door. After much reading, it seemed like the regulator must be the problem, so I replaced that, but that didn't solve it.

While messing around with the door innards, I noticed that if you touched the latch assembly connector, the window would drop or raise, and sometimes the horn would beep. Gee, I thought, that doesn't seem right!

A new door latch later ($400 - my car has the factory security system) and it works perfectly now! That solves the last remaining issue that the car had when I bought it as a project four years ago.
Did you save the old latch?
I’d love to do a proper necropsy...
Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #5419
Racer Boy

I just threw it out! My guess is a bad solder joint somewhere in the electronics inside the latch. I was more worried about it being a broken wire in the harness, but fortunately, the new latch did the trick.

It's nice to hear that you are liking your Kalama experience so far. Very nice that you have a river view of the mighty Columbia as it rolls along. FYI, the state song is "Roll On, Columbia Roll On". You are welcome!

When spring rolls around, you need to drive around Mt. St. Helens, where there are some spectacular views and roads. The drive from Cougar to Forest Road 99 is one of the best anywhere! I'll be happy to give you more info on awesome PNW drives.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #5420

Garage
Now that is a pretty steering wheel! I really need to get a 3 spoke for my 98.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Installed my DCTMS steering wheel. Cocoa with silver stitching to match my 550SE interior. Really like the smaller diameter with increased rim thickness and flat bottom.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk