Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #5241

Today is the end of triple digits here in Tucson this year. Whew! Gonna start getting my Box back among the living this weekend. Our limited work season is ending, it's the heat, not the dry air.

Gotta finish the aos change, put the right bank of injectors back on the fuel rail and into the right hand manifold, get the vacuum sorted, and put the various stuff back on the motor. Hope the random misfire clears up. Can't drive til it passes smog. Been way too hot! Our project season is here! Like to get it reliable enough for a cross country road trip, other wise it's the Highlander next summer.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 09-13-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
In late July, my wife attended the ARPCA driver education course. I didn't participate, because we couldn't both run DE and share the same car. So, since the car was "technically" for her, I can wait until next year.

We got the prints today! Here are shots of the prints:

Very nice!
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #5243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Very nice!
Thanks, Brian! Good luck with your project!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #5244
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I tackled the stainless braided brake lines, flushed and bled the system, and installed new Brembo caliper decals.

Yesterday I sprayed penetrant several times on the hose ends and the bleeder valves. This morning... went at it.

Using the special wrench, flared?, the fittings came undone quite nicely... didn't need to use a wrench on the soft line nut... on any of the brakes.

The stainless fitted nicely... snugged everything up... began flushing. I had picked up a liter of Pentosin SuperDot. When I arrived at the driver's side I noticed the bleeder container was very low (no air)... so went and purchased another liter. Finished the front driver.

Inspected all the fittings and noticed a couple of drips of fluid. Not getting to confident... I snugged up the fittings and all was good.

I started the car...pumped the brakes a number of times. Shut it off.

I went around everything again... 8 nipples... and did another, quick, bleed.

When I got to the front driver side I see a puddle of brake fluid. Flashlight reveals I failed to completely snug up the inside nipple. Snugged her... all good.

Cleaned everything up... installed the decals... washed the wheels front and back... installed.. torqued... test drive... all good.

Took me 6 hours including two trips to the auto parts store... washing the wheels... ummmmm... and ****************ing around. Just the brake flush/bleed next time? Likely take me just a couple hours or less. Now...

I installed in the clear line between the cap and the motive tank a valve. Yes... I filled the motive with the fluid... I didn't do it dry (this time). Anyhow... so I close the valve... and removed the cap. While there was fluid in the line between the valve and the cap... nothing dripped out.

I lay the motive tank on the ground... keeping the cap higher, just in case. I cleaned up towels... put away some tools... and decided I'd attend to the motive setup. Anyhow...

For whatever stupid reason... I'm holding the motive cap with line attached in one hand and with the other... I open the valve. Yeah...

So frickin braker fluid starts squirting out of the cap... I'm like, "Whaa... Howwww..." and then a moment later I close the valve. Huge DUH. lol. Fluid squirted onto some tools in the chest... the concrete floor... the wood shelf... freaking mess. Just a few ounces, but clean up took a few. I learned what not to do next time.

During my short test drive I noticed no huge difference in braking. I don't know when last the fluid was changed... I do now.

Just a share. Have a great day!
Old 09-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #5245
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I tackled the stainless braided brake lines, flushed and bled the system, and installed new Brembo caliper decals.

Yesterday I sprayed penetrant several times on the hose ends and the bleeder valves. This morning... went at it.

Using the special wrench, flared?, the fittings came undone quite nicely... didn't need to use a wrench on the soft line nut... on any of the brakes.

The stainless fitted nicely... snugged everything up... began flushing. I had picked up a liter of Pentosin SuperDot. When I arrived at the driver's side I noticed the bleeder container was very low (no air)... so went and purchased another liter. Finished the front driver.

Inspected all the fittings and noticed a couple of drips of fluid. Not getting to confident... I snugged up the fittings and all was good.

I started the car...pumped the brakes a number of times. Shut it off.

I went around everything again... 8 nipples... and did another, quick, bleed.

When I got to the front driver side I see a puddle of brake fluid. Flashlight reveals I failed to completely snug up the inside nipple. Snugged her... all good.

Cleaned everything up... installed the decals... washed the wheels front and back... installed.. torqued... test drive... all good.

Took me 6 hours including two trips to the auto parts store... washing the wheels... ummmmm... and ****************ing around. Just the brake flush/bleed next time? Likely take me just a couple hours or less. Now...

I installed in the clear line between the cap and the motive tank a valve. Yes... I filled the motive with the fluid... I didn't do it dry (this time). Anyhow... so I close the valve... and removed the cap. While there was fluid in the line between the valve and the cap... nothing dripped out.

I lay the motive tank on the ground... keeping the cap higher, just in case. I cleaned up towels... put away some tools... and decided I'd attend to the motive setup. Anyhow...

For whatever stupid reason... I'm holding the motive cap with line attached in one hand and with the other... I open the valve. Yeah...

So frickin braker fluid starts squirting out of the cap... I'm like, "Whaa... Howwww..." and then a moment later I close the valve. Huge DUH. lol. Fluid squirted onto some tools in the chest... the concrete floor... the wood shelf... freaking mess. Just a few ounces, but clean up took a few. I learned what not to do next time.

During my short test drive I noticed no huge difference in braking. I don't know when last the fluid was changed... I do now.

Just a share. Have a great day!
Sounds like just another Saturday at most Porsche households! Haha
Well done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #5246
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Sounds like just another Saturday at most Porsche households! Haha
Well done.

Thank you, Maytag.

Seriously. You guys could do that all day long. Based upon the advice from this forum, and some yutub vids, my testicular girth advanced over the past couple of months and today, weather being favorable, found the boys were outgrowing the den. "Brake time".

This was my first time replacing brake lines. First time flushing the system. First time bleeding the brakes. Hell, the first time ever I touched brakes was replacing the pads on an 08 Mustang I had. That was with a helper. That was 7 years ago. I always went to a brake "Pro".

I did have one failure that I didn't realize until I took a spot on a recliner: Forgot to take the ibuprofen .5 hour before the project. I could tell. :ah:

I'm going to magic-marker that on my toolchests: Got Ibuprofren?

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #5247
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I did have one failure that I didn't realize until I took a spot on a recliner: Forgot to take the ibuprofen .5 hour before the project. I could tell. :ah:

I'm going to magic-marker that on my toolchests: Got Ibuprofren?

Cheers!
Haha, every tool chest of mine has a bottle of ibuprofen and a tube of 100spf sun screen in the top.
And there's some in my glove box.
More in my center console.
Some in my spare parts bins.
Always within reach.

And good for you for going after it! I've never paid to have brakes done on any of my cars. But recently I find I prefer to pay for oil changes on the commuter cars.... so who knows, maybe brakes are next? ;-)

Last edited by maytag; 09-15-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #5248

Quote:
Haha, every tool chest of mine has a bottle of ibuprofen and a tube of 100spf sin screen in the top.
Always within reach.
Learned something new today! I'll be stocking up and doing this. If my rear tuning forks show up I'll be tackling my suspension.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #5249
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Learned something new today! I'll be stocking up and doing this. If my rear tuning forks show up I'll be tackling my suspension.
Hahaha I just noticed my post said "100 spf sin screen", instead of sun screen.

It's even funnier if you know I'm a mormon. Hahaha ;-)

Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #5250

What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

Replaced rear control arms, trailing arms, and lateral arms. After 14 years and 106,000 miles, it was time. Next stop: suspension realignment and then a tear thru the Rocky Mountain twisties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #5251
Racer Boy

Quote:
Haha, every tool chest of mine has a bottle of ibuprofen and a tube of 100spf sun screen in the top.
Always within reach.

Reading glasses are also good to stash in the car and tool chest, if you are over a certain age.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #5252

Replaced the coolant cap. No more coolant smell in the cabin, and no condensation in the trunk. I consider it a win
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #5253
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Currently waiting for the oil to drain from my 986 before I install a new oil filter, plug and washer/seal. Unfortunately, my garage floor is a mess, I dropped the oil filter while taking it out.
Luckily, I didn't get any on myself, wear safety glasses guys!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #5254
Need For Speed

Garage
Just got new Blizzak WS80 tires on the car. Ready for Fall and Winter!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #5255

Garage
Just put the Hardtop back on as the rainy season has returned to the PNW.
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #5256
M9G
2002 2.7 Boxster in green

fitted a K&N air filter

replaced a broken venturi pipe

started to install a double din android head unit (tut to follow in the near future)

M9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #5257

Garage
Washed and waxed (P21S Carnuba Wax w/polisher).
Old 09-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #5258
M9G
2002 2.7 Boxster in green

finished installing my double din head unit

M9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #5259

Little detailing and a lot of driving. To hot to do much else today
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #5260

Quote:
Originally Posted by M9G View Post
finished installing my double din head unit

Nice! Where did you get the bezel? The one that came with mine is not a good fit. It has a little filler piece at top. Whoever installed it had to do some improvising. Without the filler, there'd be a gap between the top of the radio and the bottom of the center vents.

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote