Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #5221

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
That is a fine looking automobile sir.
thanks muchly. finally got to race it after a season of engine problems and it is running great. need a bit of time to tune the suspension to my hack driving style (and 6 year old tires) and it will be perfect (for a 50-year old car with lucas electrics and a tractor engine). fun driving a front-engine car after learning to track on a boxster; fact is, while mid-engine is 'perfectly balanced' and all that, a front-engined car is pretty darned predictable with less tendency to point the wrong way when you make a mistake. having fun, and got some alfas to catch up with now ...

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #5222

A few pics of what I call a Boxster S GT3

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #5223
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Finally found the time to wire and install my OEM manual radiator fan switch and garage door opener. I still need to hookup the night illumination but it will have to wait because I want to replace some other wiring at the same time. (I cringe when I look at photos of the wiring I did 12 years ago.) Some very basic info, all the fan switch does is ground pin 85 from the high speed fan relays. I had a basic on/off switch for the last few months, but wanted everything to look original. Because OEM switches are momentary switches I used a latching relay, this also allows the switch LED to illuminate once the fan switch has been triggered.

Because I only have one garage door both sides of the switch are wired together and the wires are soldiered to my garage door opener circuit board. I have very limited soldering experience, and this took me longer than I care to admit.

I did lose the "PORSCHE" decal I had on my old batwing, I think I may get an arctic silver "986" decal for this new batwing. I have more info about the wiring for the fan relay mod on my website, and I will create a DIY when I have time.

Thanks to everyone on this forum that helped me figure out the wiring for this project!

EDIT: Found some time, DIY Guide is up: DIY: Manual Radiator Fan Switch w/ an OEM Switch

Last edited by rick3000; 09-04-2019 at 03:57 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Finally found the time to wire and install my OEM manual radiator fan switch and garage door opener. I still need to hookup the night illumination but it will have to wait because I want to replace some other wiring at the same time. (I cringe when I look at photos of the wiring I did 12 years ago.) Some very basic info, all the fan switch does is ground pin 85 from the high speed fan relays. I had a basic on/off switch for the last few months, but wanted everything to look original. Because OEM switches are momentary switches I used a latching relay, this also allows the switch LED to illuminate once the fan switch has been triggered.

Because I only have one garage door both sides of the switch are wired together and the wires are soldiered to my garage door opener circuit board. I have very limited soldering experience, and this took me longer than I care to admit.

I did lose the "PORSCHE" decal I had on my old batwing, I think I may get an arctic silver "986" decal for this new batwing. I have more info about the wiring for the fan relay mod on my website, and I will create a DIY when I have time.

Thanks to everyone on this forum that helped me figure out the wiring for this project!

I haven't seen one of those before; very cool! I also like the idea of a "986" decal.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #5225

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
That is a fine looking automobile sir.
Nice Triumph GT6. Was my first car coming out of high school.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #5226

Got the new GT3 style bumper on the car finally. Whew. Created a DIY for it as well. Check it out if you're interested in doing something like this:

https://youtu.be/lyVFm4E8A1A
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #5227

Wired up the Alpine head unit with a new amp. Wired up a enclosed pioneer sub behind the passenger seat and ran wire's to add the rear speakers ( already ordered). Totally bypassed the stock amp but built a harness from a old amp so no cutting wires. Pain to route everything but boy does it sound better. Had already upgraded to the Alpine ILX-650 and door and dash speakers.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #5228

Chabged a passenger side (right side) door lock due to non-operating window switch when openin the door - same time swapped broken light bulbs on both doors interior lights. Thanks to Pelican and other forum members for the great info of the change details.
pilot4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #5229

After losing an ill fitting aftermarket side vent at speed I decided to go with a more dependable option. Don't really care for the 03 vent style so I did a little altering to an older style side vent.

Picked up a set of these on Ebay $29 a side. If you don't see your color ask. 2 days after I bought the white ones the same seller posted a mint set of red ones.

Removed collar and cut off slats:

Added mesh to collar and painted the vent red. Dont have to worry about fit anymore.

Last edited by JBauer; 09-08-2019 at 07:02 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 AM   #5230

^^^^
Looks great. Might have to do that this winter.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #5231

I decided to pull the plugs and roll the engine over. Pretty certain I found the cylinder with the issue. Definitely going for the swap at this point!
outsidetheboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #5232
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidetheboxster View Post

I decided to pull the plugs and roll the engine over. Pretty certain I found the cylinder with the issue. Definitely going for the swap at this point!
Eeew, not pretty!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #5233

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
After losing an ill fitting aftermarket side vent at speed I decided to go with a more dependable option. Don't really care for the 03 vent style so I did a little altering to an older style side vent.

Picked up a set of these on Ebay $29 a side. If you don't see your color ask. 2 days after I bought the white ones the same seller posted a mint set of red ones.

Removed collar and cut off slats:

Added mesh to collar and painted the vent red. Dont have to worry about fit anymore.

2003 air intake has the best air flow to the engine.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #5234

Odd Projects Completed Today

Replace Side Mirror
It had prior damage and then I added to the problem.

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite Rotisserie Restoration
90% complete in the final stages
hcallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #5235

Hardtop Hardware Kit Installation

At $104 it hurt for the hex head bolts and spin locks.

The parts were well made and the instruction video from them were very helpful.
1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite Rotisserie Restoration
90% complete in the final stages
hcallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #5236

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Ya the hole is slightly larger, more squared off. Has fins tho. 😉
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #5237
ISSIMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Has this been proven with a aero wind tunnel test? I have my vents set up with the mesh but was thinking of picking up a 03/04 set
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #5238
Pathological Tinkerer

Painted buddies 987 S...

P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #5239

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipjayadler View Post
Nice Triumph GT6. Was my first car coming out of high school.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
thanks. some video from the last race (not much of my car, unfortunately - red #11). a few shots of a spyder (kit) 906 (kit) and a couple of early 911 race cars. felt good to pass the 911 in my triumph - does that make me a forum traitor?

https://youtu.be/HOXd3uy3QOk
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #5240

In late July, my wife attended the ARPCA driver education course. I didn't participate, because we couldn't both run DE and share the same car. So, since the car was "technically" for her, I can wait until next year.

We got the prints today! Here are shots of the prints:

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote