Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 AM   #5081

[IMG][/IMG]

Found a hot date for the evening.

Imhighlander, what is that rack you are using?

xoo00oox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Those are the GiroDisc 2-piece rotors.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
Thanks I thought that's what they might be. I fear they won't be in my budget when it is time for me to get brakes, they do look great!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #5083

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoo00oox View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Found a hot date for the evening.

Imhighlander, what is that rack you are using?

That’s a custom rack I found on my local Craigslist. Another 986 who was a retired engineer built it for his 986 and then sold the car.

If I had any welding skills I’d make and sell them. It works pretty darn well.

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #5084

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks I thought that's what they might be. I fear they won't be in my budget when it is time for me to get brakes, they do look great!

Thanks, Paul. They stop really well. That was one of only two mods the PO did, and I’m grateful! (He also did the deep oil sump, for which I’m also grateful.)

imhighlander
Evergreen CO
PCA-RMR
2004 986S/6
Old 06-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #5085

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Just did full suspension refresh including control arms, inner & outer tie rods, sway bars, bushings, springs, shocks, bump stops... the whole bit. Converted my US-spec suspension to ROW M030 in the process. (Stock takeoffs for sale in separate thread.) What a difference!!

Then took it to Steamboat Springs over the wkend with the lady and some new friends from PCA-RMR.
I'm green with envy. At a bit over 100k miles, I think I'm due for most or all of that myself. Looks like you did your own work. If you don't mind revealing it, roughly what did all that set you back in parts? And where sourced?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #5086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'm green with envy. At a bit over 100k miles, I think I'm due for most or all of that myself. Looks like you did your own work. If you don't mind revealing it, roughly what did all that set you back in parts? And where sourced?
Hey Frodo,

From Suncoast Porsche I bought:
  • The M030 suspension kit from Suncoast, which came with springs, shocks, and sway bars. (Part #VER: PK986M030S.)
  • New front and rear strut mounts (p/n 99734301800; 98633305906).
  • New front shocks mount bearings (p/n 99634351505

From FCP Euro, (lifetime guarantee on EVERYTHING!):
  • Porsche control arm kit (front) p/n TRW 996KIT1
  • Porsche stabilizer links (2 fronts and 2 rears)
  • Porsche sway bar bushings
  • Porsche shock dust boots and bump stops

Somewhere I also bought the new hardware kit that provides new tension nuts for the shocks (shock to strut mount) and for the strut mounts to the body. Those are apparently one-use only nuts so I got new bits. I probably actually got them from Pelican parts, IIRC.

I think that’s everything. I didn’t replace the rear control arms because mine looked good enough and because I didn’t want to spend the other $700 or so for them. (Probably should have, but not going back in for awhile.)

All in I probably spent about $3,000. Spendy, but absolutely worth it for safety and to bring the ride quality back up to factory. For that kind of money I could have done some coilovers but I didn't want to deal with all the fiddly bits a coilover conversion requires, and I didn't want a super low or harsh ride. I am not a track rat so adjustability and the ability to customize camber, etc. were not priorities for me. I simply wanted to refresh everything and go to the M030 setup.

Cheers, and happy wrenching.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #5087

Wow, couldn't have asked for a more detailed answer...thanks a bunch!

My kid's in the process of building a house, one with a 4-car garage. The one bay he specifically had done with a high ceiling (13 ft I believe)---gonna put a 2-post lift in there. And? He's a good wrencher, and willing to help out dad with car projects

So, need to start saving up my nickles and dimes for suspension update, hopefully not too far down the road.

Thanks again!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #5088
Thom

Garage
Goodbye and good luck

Ladies and Gentlemen, I want to sincerely thank you all for the great information, interaction and support for 986 owners. I recently had my 2000S crap out on me and have traded it in for a new Macan. I have had serious issues over the past year but have used your knowledge and support to fix almost every single item. However, I blew a fuse on Saturday and after being towed to my local Porsche dealer, which was also hosting a LeMans breakfast & lunch watch party. Well, while there I happened upon the Macan. I am also prepping for my 5th back surgery, which was not helped by the tight suspension of the Boxster. I love the wind in my hair, the sun on my face and being able to destroy Subaru WRX punks on the launch & twistys. Of course not too many curves in central Florida.

Anyway, I truly hope to be back with you all soon when I pick up another 986 to play with and grow with my daughter as she loves the Porsche brand.
Thanks to all of you folks for everything.

Cheers!
Thom
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #5089

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmg0d View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, I want to sincerely thank you all for the great information, interaction and support for 986 owners. I recently had my 2000S crap out on me and have traded it in for a new Macan. I have had serious issues over the past year but have used your knowledge and support to fix almost every single item. However, I blew a fuse on Saturday and after being towed to my local Porsche dealer, which was also hosting a LeMans breakfast & lunch watch party. Well, while there I happened upon the Macan. I am also prepping for my 5th back surgery, which was not helped by the tight suspension of the Boxster. I love the wind in my hair, the sun on my face and being able to destroy Subaru WRX punks on the launch & twistys. Of course not too many curves in central Florida.

Anyway, I truly hope to be back with you all soon when I pick up another 986 to play with and grow with my daughter as she loves the Porsche brand.
Thanks to all of you folks for everything.

Cheers!
Thom
Enjoy the Macan! Good luck with the surgery and I hope to see you back here soon
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #5090
Seal1968

Fixed my front fans! See my DIY post...easy peasy. Quite chuffed with myself too.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #5091

Just finished replacing the water pump, thermostat, oil cooler seals and trailing arm links (tuning forks).

The PITA bolt on the water pump wasn't so bad. My Craftsman 1/4" drive with an 8mm deep-well socket fit in there perfectly to break the bolt loose.

The I used a regular socket with a Harbor Freight swivel attachment to pull it the rest of the way by hand.

In addition to a bit of play on the pulley, once I got the pump off I noticed some crustiness, looks like it may have started to leak from the weep hole.

But the impeller was intact! :dance:

Turns out this must have been the original pump, since the gasket was never cut. Not bad for 91K miles, I guess. (although yesterday I changed the WP on my Dodge Grand Caravan with 163K miles and it, too was original)

The new gasket got a little janked up during shipment. When I first started the car I had a little coolant weeping at the gasket, but after re-torquing the bolts it seems to be holding. I'll have to keep an eye on it for a while.

And no more annoying clunking when I go over bumps with the new tuning forks! :dance:

Last edited by piper6909; 06-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #5092

Planning my suspension refresh. The have not had time to dive into it.

I have a full set of struts from a low km Boxster S (thanks to Jaykay). I intend on doing the control arms all around at the same time because I have some low speed clunking when traveling over bumps.

Anything else I should tackle while I'm all up in there?
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #5093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/59-SUSPEN-Suspen_Overhaul/59-SUSPEN-Suspen_Overhaul.htm
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #5094

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
Quote:
Planning my suspension refresh. The have not had time to dive into it.

I have a full set of struts from a low km Boxster S (thanks to Jaykay). I intend on doing the control arms all around at the same time because I have some low speed clunking when traveling over bumps.

Can I ask who is JayKay, what does he deal in, and how can I reach him? There are parts for my 1999 986 I'd like to inquire about. Thanks!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #5095

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
Fixed my front fans! See my DIY post...easy peasy. Quite chuffed with myself too.
Please send me the URL for your DIY post. Thanks!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #5096

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipjayadler View Post
Can I ask who is JayKay
He is a forum member and posted struts for sale which I purchased. Not a business.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #5097

Today I troubleshot and repaired the drivers side seatback motor. It was getting old listening to the seat back squeak against the roll bar and not being in my preferred driving position.

My passenger seatback motor worked fine. Just my drivers seat was inoperable. I swapped the seats around to confirm the issue was seat related and not something else. The passenger seatback worked great in when connected in the drivers seat position. So that made the seat the culprit.

I removed the seat back insert and peeled off the leather near the motor (pretty simple to access the motor). Then I pulled out the electrical connector and jumped the motor and it worked. So that makes the switch the culprit.

I removed the switch levers and switch cover to access the backside of the switch to inspect. It all looked in order. So I sprayed the switch with electronics cleaner, let it dry and then rocked the switch back and forth a bit. Seems to click nicely. Then I tried the switch again while connected to the car, and it worked great.

I put the seat back together again and was able to adjust the seat to the perfect drivers position for me. A small but important project bringing my 98 Boxster back to life. And also glad it was inexpensive to repair!

Happy Canada Day all!
Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #5098

Quote:
Today I troubleshot and repaired the drivers side seatback motor. It was getting old listening to the seat back squeak against the roll bar and not being in my preferred driving position.

My passenger seatback motor worked fine. Just my drivers seat was inoperable. I swapped the seats around to confirm the issue was seat related and not something else. The passenger seatback worked great in when connected in the drivers seat position. So that made the seat the culprit.

I removed the seat back insert and peeled off the leather near the motor (pretty simple to access the motor). Then I pulled out the electrical connector and jumped the motor and it worked. So that makes the switch the culprit.

I removed the switch levers and switch cover to access the backside of the switch to inspect. It all looked in order. So I sprayed the switch with electronics cleaner, let it dry and then rocked the switch back and forth a bit. Seems to click nicely. Then I tried the switch again while connected to the car, and it worked great.

I put the seat back together again and was able to adjust the seat to the perfect drivers position for me. A small but important project bringing my 98 Boxster back to life. And also glad it was inexpensive to repair!

Happy Canada Day all!
Great job! It's satisfying, isn't it?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #5099

Garage
Actually yesterday, but I went to the Porsche Show held by the local Porsche club chapter, Nord Stern. The weather was great after a rainy morning and rain after, but we had just enough time. There was a few hundred Porsches of all types and years, including several GT versions as the featured cars and a Carrera GT. Mine is the black 2002 Boxster in the middle.

Last edited by MN 986; 07-01-2019 at 09:40 PM.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:27 AM   #5100
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Saturday was cruising the 62 in the lower desert, after coming from above. The outside temperature was rising and, top down, the wife was finding it uncomfortable. Came to that complete stop... put it in park... emergency brake up... and closed the top.

Sunday morning took the 37 seconds to pull the relay... bend pin 18... and slap it back in. Went for a three block cruise opening the top while driving at ~30 MPH. Closed it at ~30MPH. Works great. Free convenience mod.

The only downside is that employing that feature means no karate chop.

Cheers!