Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 05:16 AM   #4941

I washed it early Saturday, then parked at my friends house for the day.

The pollen made it look like a barn find by 4pm.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 AM   #4942

speaker upgrade

Finally got around to adding a 10" sub(Kudos to RFLORES2323) and rear speakers to shelf behind the seats. Rewired all the speakers too, sounds amazing with top up or down, now I just have to justify the $$ for another 10" sub behind the pass seat and a new head unit, lol.

MaddogsMotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #4943

easy to justify..... need stereo subs

my car has twin subs, behind each seat. And it is impressive.

What speakers did you use in your rear shelf system? When the previous owner had the system installed he didn't do anything with the package shelf speakers. As in they are not even hooked up. Where as the doors and dash have been replaced.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #4944

Upgraded the exhaust. Now it doesn't sound like an electric car anymore! Oh, and made this very detailed how-to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8WhjwzH958
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #4945
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Upgraded the exhaust. Now it doesn't sound like an electric car anymore! Oh, and made this very detailed how-to video:

Great vid. I watched ~80%, and admire how you didn't edit out the time consuming and taxing clamp removal and reinstallation. That effort illustrated how frustrating it can be.

One thing that surprised me: I didn't hear you inventing any new profanities. You've the patience of a saint.

Bookmarked. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #4946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Great vid. I watched ~80%, and admire how you didn't edit out the time consuming and taxing clamp removal and reinstallation. That effort illustrated how frustrating it can be.

One thing that surprised me: I didn't hear you inventing any new profanities. You've the patience of a saint.

Bookmarked. Thanks!

Lol thanks. There were a few MF's dropped under my breath I can assure you.

The YouTube how-to's where they edit out the real work and are vague on details have their place sometimes, but they always seem to lead me to mistakes and poor planning when it comes to tools and/or time set aside. I like to show people EXACTLY what they are getting themselves into and what it looks like/involves.

Hope I got a new Subscriber!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #4947
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post

Nice job. I like the hammer job on the C-pipes, I had to do the same thing. I could never get rid of the drone with my twin can muffler, so I just ended up modifying my stock one. I even tried new clamps and baffles. My car is a 98 by the way, so one set of cats.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #4948

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Nice job. I like the hammer job on the C-pipes, I had to do the same thing. I could never get rid of the drone with my twin can muffler, so I just ended up modifying my stock one. I even tried new clamps and baffles. My car is a 98 by the way, so one set of cats.
Thanks! Yeah, mine is a 98 as well.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #4949
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Oh Joy

Why are we so pensive prior to cutting the filter open? And so elated when there is nothing inside?

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Why are we so pensive prior to cutting the filter open? And so elated when there is nothing inside?
This is so true!
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #4951
Need For Speed

Garage
Few days ago I cleaned the top and I put on some 303 fabric guard on it,used the kit the have that has both the cleaner and fabric guard. Man this stuff works good, hope it last longer then the Raggtopp kit I used last year, it was worthless IMO.

Yesterday I sanded down my headlights and sprayed them with 2K clear coat. Today I sanded a bit more on them and then gave them a nice polish. Looks absolutely brilliant, almost too shinny lol.

Today I gave the car a triple wash down trying to remove the paint sealant I had put on the car. Man that Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish is some tough stuff. It's still on the paint. I used Purple Power Heavy Duty Vehicle and Boat wash to remove any contaminants from the paint. The I used Turtle Was Max-Power car wash that's supposed to remove previous waxes and sealants. The I used CarPro Iron-X LS, surprised that there was very little iron particles on my paint. This stuff does stink, even the LS (lemon sent) type. Even after all that punishment, the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish was still showing on the paint.

I do have one other thing to say about the CarPro Iron-X LS. Yes it still stunk, but wow that stuff made my voice very horse. Next time I use it, I'll be wearing a respirator.

Tomorrow I'll spray the car down again and go over it with some IPA to see if I can get the rest of the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish off. Hopefully then I go onto claying the car, wash again and start polishing the paint and give it another IPA wipe down. I'm going to put the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish back on the car until I get done with the new wheel bearing, Koni FSD shocks/struts, springs (1" lower), rear trailing arms, new drive shafts, change the transmission fluid and filter, flush the coolant and put in a new Pierburg water pump with the low temp thermostat. While I have the cooling hoses out of the way, I'll be putting in a new engine mount. Then I will be flushing the brake fluid.

After that, I'll be stripping the paint sealant again, give it another good polishing and ceramic coating the car. Will also be ceramic tinting my side windows.

Going to be a busy summer for me.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-16-2019 at 10:38 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #4952
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Few days ago I cleaned the top and I put on some 303 fabric guard on it,used the kit the have that has both the cleaner and fabric guard. Man this stuff works good, hope it last longer then the Raggtopp kit I used last year, it was worthless IMO.

Yesterday I sanded down my headlights and sprayed them with 2K clear coat. Today I sanded a bit more on them and then gave them a nice polish. Looks absolutely brilliant, almost too shinny lol.

Today I gave the car a triple wash down trying to remove the paint sealant I had put on the car. Man that Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish is some tough stuff. It's still on the paint. I used Purple Power Heavy Duty Vehicle and Boat wash to remove any contaminants from the paint. The I used Turtle Was Max-Power car wash that's supposed to remove previous waxes and sealants. The I used CarPro Iron-X LS, surprised that there was very little iron particles on my paint. This stuff does stink, even the LS (lemon sent) type. Even after all that punishment, the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish was still showing on the paint.

I do have one other thing to say about the CarPro Iron-X LS. Yes it still stunk, but wow that stuff made my voice very horse. Next time I use it, I'll be wearing a respirator.

Tomorrow I'll spray the car down again and go over it with some IPA to see if I can get the rest of the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish off. Hopefully then I go onto claying the car, wash again and start polishing the paint and give it another IPA wipe down. I'm going to put the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish back on the car until I get done with the new wheel bearing, Koni FSD shocks/struts, springs (1" lower), rear trailing arms, new drive shafts, change the transmission fluid and filter, flush the coolant and put in a new Pierburg water pump with the low temp thermostat. While I have the cooling hoses out of the way, I'll be putting in a new engine mount. Then I will be flushing the brake fluid.

After that, I'll be stripping the paint sealant again, give it another good polishing and ceramic coating the car. Will also be ceramic tinting my side windows.

Going to be a busy summer for me.
Kram... where is "Funville"?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:53 AM   #4953
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Kram... where is "Funville"?

Thanks.
Anywhere my car touches the pavement while I'm driving it.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #4954

My Boxster never had a wind deflector. Today I installed one!

Last edited by piper6909; 05-22-2019 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Removed pics! Woohoo!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #4955

A little troubleshooting today.
-Fixed Passenger good speaker rattle. Was as simple are a missing screw.
-Confirmed that the drivers seat motor or switch needs work. I moved the working passenger seat to the driver side, plugged it in and it worked. So that means that my drivers seat and nothing "more serious". Going to take the seat and switch apart to see what's what when I feel more ambitious.

Oh, and, taught one of my daughters how to drive a manual in it today. She's 16 and was great at it! So much fun!
Old 05-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogsMotorSports View Post
Finally got around to adding a 10" sub(Kudos to RFLORES2323) and rear speakers to shelf behind the seats. Rewired all the speakers too, sounds amazing with top up or down, now I just have to justify the $$ for another 10" sub behind the pass seat and a new head unit, lol.

Great to see another boxster with this sub installed. You can really feel the difference with the low pass frequencies in the car. At times I am wanting to lower it but my daughter is like dad "don't be old" and tells me to turn it up to feel it.. lol. Good massage!! It's hard to show in a video but this sub does a great job.

Put the other one behind the passenger seat will make a real big difference also.

What head unit you thinking of going with? I went with a cheaper Android headunits called joying... Very fast and use Spotify app which sounds great. Also has DSP and digital ouput if you are all into that which makes it very crisp. What's kind of speakers in the dash did you put? That also makes the audio experience if you upgrade those.

Again congrats!!! Enjoy with the top down!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #4957

Replaced my discs with new slotted and drilled rotors and new pads. Also drained and changed the oil to set a baseline since I wasn't sure how long ago it was last changed since I bought. Bought an engine mount and serpentine belt to do as well but decided to hold off and do those with a new water pump and low temp thermostat so I can drain the cooling system to actually get to the motor mount a lot easier.

Last edited by KCCO308; 05-20-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Moved picture down
KCCO308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #4958

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO308 View Post
Replaced my discs with new slotted and drilled rotors and new pads. Also drained and changed the oil to set a baseline since I wasn't sure how long ago it was last changed since I bought. Bought an engine mount and serpentine belt to do as well but decided to hold off and do those with a new water pump and low temp thermostat so I can drain the cooling system to actually get to the motor mount a lot easier
Brakes look good. It's one of the upgrades I'm considering a little further down the road. I just did my engine mount. I did not need to take off my coolant lines. It all worked out great. But it you are replacing coolant anyways then it will just make the job easier.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #4959

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
My Boxster never had a wind deflector. Today I installed one!
Please downsize you pics! They are killing the thread on mobiles. Thanks!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #4960

Garage
Do you feel it making a difference? I sometimes take mine out and put it in again, and see if I can tell. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference, except perhaps on gusty days.

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote