Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #3781
Boxster 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Took the pooch for an afternoon stroll in the park.

Just sayin'.......

TO

This makes me happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #3782

Got out the Turtle wax and went at it. 😪
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #3783
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Took it for (likely) it's last day at the beach this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #3784

I jumped that battery of a ES350 with the Boxster that I replaced the alternator on on, today.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #3785
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Changing seasons here means that it is getting dark earlier.
I finally got around to adjusting the aim of the headlights on my '01. I had installed the Nine8Six Vivo's in it quite a while ago and just put up with the lights being aimed too low for over a year. We hardly ever drive it at night. Aiming the headlights was silly easy and took about 5 minutes. Wish I had done it right the day I installed them.

Earlier in the day, my son said that the instrument lights in his Corolla were out. He had checked the fuse and it was good. I stopped by to help him out. First thing I noticed was the 'dim knob' was turned all the way to off.
"Hey JT, you ever touch this knob?"
-"What knob?"
I rotate it and the lights come on....
Owners manuals are awesome if you ever take a moment to read them.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #3786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
I changed the oil and filter (housing and insert) and tried to replace my brake pads and rotors so I can pass my inspection (technically they are fine, but not quite good enough I guess). I bought PowerStop products but the front rotors and pads are smaller than what was on the car already. Amazon, R0ck Aut0, Jegs, and others all say that I bought the right ones, but the PowerStop site lists a different product number!? So, I guess I have some calls to make to PowerStop to figure out what's what. The diameter of the set that PowerStop lists for me actually match what I have on the car whereas the set I bought are about an inch smaller. I don't know if there is a bad flag somewhere that is saying these are good for my 2000 S across all the sites, but I'll post whatever I find.
Luckily, my oil filter looked good and my magnetic oil plug didn't have any concerning particles stuck to it, so the afternoon wasn't a total waste.
So, after calling PowerStop, it turns out that Amazon and some others don't indentify the correct PowerStop rotors and pads for the 2000 S. I don't know where the problem is, but be careful and double-check/cross reference what you are ordering. I thought I had, but I was using the different sites to check instead of going to the PowerStop site.

Anyway, since I was running short on time to get everythying done before my temporary registration expired, I had to go to a local shop to get the work done. After a broken caliper bolt, cracked brake line, and stuck bleeder nipple, I'm golden and glad the shop worked on it and not me. BTW, I think the rotors were original to the car! 17 years and 66K miles later, they are replaced. I've had the car almost 10 years and hadn't had to replace them and I don't think the PO did either (maybe he did, but he didn't provide much paperwork and they sure looked age appropriate). They still seemed to work fine but failed the inspection because the inspector didn't like the look of the pitting and surface rust (worse on the inside, so it wasn't apparent by the casual look through the wheels).

Tomorrow I'll do the reinspection and finalize the registration. The process is a bit annoying, but will be worth it once I hit the unlimited section of the autobahn!

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #3787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
So, after calling PowerStop, it turns out that Amazon and some others don't indentify the correct PowerStop rotors and pads for the 2000 S. I don't know where the problem is, but be careful and double-check/cross reference what you are ordering. I thought I had, but I was using the different sites to check instead of going to the PowerStop site.

Anyway, since I was running short on time to get everythying done before my temporary registration expired, I had to go to a local shop to get the work done. After a broken caliper bolt, cracked brake line, and stuck bleeder nipple, I'm golden and glad the shop worked on it and not me. BTW, I think the rotors were original to the car! 17 years and 66K miles later, they are replaced. I've had the car almost 10 years and hadn't had to replace them and I don't think the PO did either (maybe he did, but he didn't provide much paperwork and they sure looked age appropriate). They still seemed to work fine but failed the inspection because the inspector didn't like the look of the pitting and surface rust (worse on the inside, so it wasn't apparent by the casual look through the wheels).

Tomorrow I'll do the reinspection and finalize the registration. The process is a bit annoying, but will be worth it once I hit the unlimited section of the autobahn!
996 turbo front clip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
PCinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #3788
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Finally took off the 20" wheels. It was a fun look, but weight, occasional fender rub, and increased wear on suspension made me do it.
20"

I painted (Plasti-dip matte black) some 18" Victor Equipment LeMans. The chrome lip just didn't look right with that car.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #3789

I replaced the water pump, thermostat and housing, sparkplugs, coolant and transmission oil. The belt was already replaced in the last 5k. The plugs and water pump and coolant were original. my 2003 has 49k on the odometer. It runs like new.
xzyfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #3790
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
At 117,000 miles long overdue to replace the original fuel filter.

A lot of dirt came out of the fuel tank side of the old filter

Only had to jack up one side of the car and it took only a screw driver and a 10mm deep socket.

Yes I have a lift, but I like to do fuel filters outside the shop.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:51 AM   #3791

Today I gave the key to my dad, who is driving it 400 miles south of Stockholm for winter storage.
He's also picking up a second hand muffler on the way. That one will most likely be modified for a bit more sound during the winter.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 AM   #3792

Needed some new shoes but one thing led to another so bought a set of 18” Cayman S wheels with 75% rubber instead and they were a lot less than the tires alone were going to cost. Reckon him going to need spacers on the front though.

So now I’ve to decide what to do, thinking about grey spokes but really like the contrast of the plain silver against the grey. The 17” will now get used specially for track days and eventually get some track specific rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #3793

I've done a bunch of things this week:
Changed the oil, and got a blackstone report. Came back VERY good, and the magnetic plug barely had anything on it. I stepped into the oil drain pan while sliding out from under the car, so I had to throw my shoes out.

I swapped turn signal stalk assemblies with one from Woody (Thanks Woody!) so now my indicators work again. Bonus points for tightening down the screws on my OBC stalk, as they were loose before. Makes the car feel much more solid.
Here's a really low quality pic:

I threw my hard top on, and drove the car about 500 miles for a trip to the Cape.

This morning I spun it onto the grass on some wet pavement in a hard left turn. Oops!

This weekend I'll be cleaning her up for the PCA CVR rally.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #3794

Replaced my MAF and cleared code. Drives and Idles much better and no more strange hesitating at high rpm. Definitely noticeable
Lucassharringtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #3795
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
I stepped into the oil drain pan while sliding out from under the car, so I had to throw my shoes out.
I thought I was the only one to do that.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #3796

Treated myself to a new key fob and programming. Ouch!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #3797

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Bonus points for tightening down the screws on my OBC stalk, as they were loose before. Makes the car feel much more solid.
Did the same when I replaced the clockspring. I thought the lever was worn out and needed replacement but turned out just loose screws.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 10-16-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #3798
Need For Speed

Garage
Did another headlight lens restoration. Came out perfect. The bumperettes were looking dry and faded. Took them off and coated them with black Plasti Dip. Came out perfect. Also stripped the car, clay barred it, washed, sealed the paint and waxed it for the coming winter. Looks great, like the car is wet all the time. Was late when I finally got it finished and couldn't take any pics. Today it is raining, so no pics for now.

Weather will be better in a couple days and I'll hit the interior and get some pics.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #3799

Well, I evidently got a nail in my tire, so pulled it out and patched it. See, a few days ago, I just got back from a 5000 mile trip (by myself!) from Wisconsin to San Jose, CA and back. It was GREAT. My driving highlights were UT 128, US 50 through Nevada (broke my personal speed record here), I-80 between Reno and Colfax, CA, CA 1 north of San Francisco up to Fort Bragg, CA, and CA 20 from Fort Bragg to Clear Lake.

Was a really great trip, tons of fun drives and met a lot of fun and interesting people along the way.

Last edited by kirkandorules; 10-16-2017 at 06:46 PM.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #3800
Need For Speed

Garage
Worked on some faded plastic trim pieces today. Did the plastic trim on the top around the side windows and the cowl cover. Pieces were pretty faded and the Solution Finish - Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer seems to have worked really well and the trim looks close to factory color right now. Will be washing the car on Thursday to see how it holds up after the first wash.

Before and After pics.

Last edited by KRAM36; 10-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote