Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #3621

This vinyl with a heat gun is fun ��

Wonder what my shift knob would look like red too?

Last edited by JBauer; 07-17-2017 at 05:37 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #3622

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It's not too bad. Just have to take a few bits off.

Removed glove box, looked up:

��

WT* 20 minutes ��
Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #3623
There Is No Substitute.

Garage

Started to remove some of the scratches in my paint using a dual action polisher, microfiber pad and D300 compound. However, I completely underestimated how time consuming this process is, it will probably take another 2-3 days to finish, working on it for a few hours every night. I have been blogging about my detail process if you want to follow along.

Last edited by rick3000; 07-18-2017 at 07:40 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post

Started to remove some of the scratches in my paint using a dual action polisher, microfiber pad and D300 compound. However, I completely underestimated how time consuming this process is, it will probably take another 2-3 days to finish, working on it for a few hours every night. I have been blogging about my detail process if you want to follow along.
Thats how I did mine too initially. Spread out over a couple days. It seems like a massive job at first but you'll get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to crank the polisher up to full speed. You'll get better correction with fewer passes. Its pretty difficult to really mess up your paint with a free spinning DA, even at full speed.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #3625

Out with the old, in with the new

Replaced my 'aged' seal grey center caps.

At some point, I'll try to refinish my old caps. I've already stripped the clear (well, used to be clear) covering off of one badge and located the reactive polymer clear coat.

Low on the project priority list however.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-21-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #3626
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Thats how I did mine too initially. Spread out over a couple days. It seems like a massive job at first but you'll get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to crank the polisher up to full speed. You'll get better correction with fewer passes. Its pretty difficult to really mess up your paint with a free spinning DA, even at full speed.
I was was pretty nervous when I started, but it is not actually that hard. I am incredibly happy with the results so far, the most time consuming part is cleaning the microfiber pad after every section.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #3627
I am No. 1348

Garage
I had one of my Brake lights go out.

In defiance, I replaced every friggin rear light bulb! Cost me 28 bucks with Amazon Prime. When I did the replacement, I found one of my sidelights was not even there!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 AM   #3628

Had a go at some upholstery work. Decided I need a lot more practice but I've enough material to cover 20 of these so I'll revisit over the winter.

There's a few sticky out bits (will sort them with a dab of glue to tidy it up) but the comfort under the elbow is so much better. 2mm foam covered with navy leatherette. Total material costs including adhesive was under $20. Colour match is really good, the flash on the phone messes it up

Lesson learned - get really sharp scissors and razor blades. Also need a better adhesive, one I used takes to long to stick and I think it will stay a little soft. Really need something that cures fast.

Anyway practice makes perfect!! Next time will be much improved. All in all with a fast curing glue each one would be about an hours work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

Last edited by Traco; 07-20-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #3629

Must be armrest day

Went to Goodwill and bought a $3 purse, cut it up and redid my armrests. Used 3M spray trim adhesive. Spray both pieces, wait 5 min. and sticks almost immediately. Have just enough left to do my console lid if I want.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #3630

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Went to Goodwill and bought a $3 purse, cut it up and redid my armrests. Used 3M spray trim adhesive. Spray both pieces, wait 5 min. and sticks almost immediately. Have just enough left to do my console lid if I want.

Well done, you got the edges neater than mine. Is there a part no on that 3M - think that might have been my weak link.

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #3631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Well done, you got the edges neater than mine. Is there a part no on that 3M - think that might have been my weak link.

Hell I can't remember what I even bought 🙄 AutoZone make sure you wait the 5 min. until you stick them together. Start from the middle and work you way out.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #3632

Leather vs. Vinyl

Traco, I also redid my interior in leather. I originally purchased a piece of vinyl but found it was too thick to conform to the curves and then fold over the back. I purchased a woman's lamb skin leather coat at the local thrift store for $8.00 (US). I think you will find the softer leather much easier to work with. Contact adhesive works perfect for attaching the leather. Good luck!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #3633

Got sick of looking at this, so

Probably order the correct paint and do it over. It's a little off.😐
Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #3634

A few days ago, I got home and had a huge cloud of smoke come out of the passenger side intake vent. Saw some coolant dripping from the water pump area. Since changing the water pump was on my maintenance to-do list anyway, I just went ahead and ordered a new one. Poked around a bit at other things (coolant tank, AOS, etc) but those all looked fine.

Installed it today. The old one was indeed pretty mangled - impellers were broken, and the wheel had somehow gotten stuck behind the flange of one of the bolts, and they were rubbing up against each other. That can't be good, right? Anyhow, no major issues installing the new one. Car feels much happier now!
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #3635

Pampered her.

Yesterday I washed her so today I clay barred her, paint corrected a few areas, Dr. Color Chipped a few chips, waxed her, Back-to-Blacked her bumperettes and cowl.

Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #3636

Garage
Changed the oil to Rottella T6 5w-40 and washed polished an wax her.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #3637

I changed out the set of ceramic tweeters I had for silk Dayton ND28-F (These are a favorite of mine). This took a lot of trimming of the grille and the tweeter mounting ring.

Here are the old tweeters I'll sell if anyone is interested. They drop right into the dash mid location

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #3638

Tranzit Blu HF

Installed my Tranzit Blu HF today. It is exactly what I was looking for. As far as I can tell I now have (near?) CD quality sound via my iPhone 7 for iTunes, Pandora, etc. I can't tell any difference from the CD player.

The Bluetooth connects immediately and the button control works without a hitch. I did have to increase my CDR23 head unit's volume level to 17-23 but no problem with interference, noise or distortion at all. Plenty of headroom left.

The CDR23 now displays/ scrolls the Tranzit connection message and it also displays/scrolls the song which is playing. Perfect and I'm still stock from the outside.

The only problem I have is that my new mic (upper left on CD tray) is not working I'll chase this down later. I left everything readily accessible so it will not be a hassle at all.

Very happy camper
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-28-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #3639

Garage
Replaced AOS Again

I replace the AOS in the Jagermobile... again.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #3640

Completed my conversion to matte black buttons.

lskolnick is offline   Reply With Quote