Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #2681

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Happy to hear you came through the storm OK, and hope the SuperB doesn't become the spoils of war, Although doubtful anyone will go to war over a pile of rocks in the South China Sea,
Feels like we are already at war brother. We have 1.3billion ppl "actively" blogging on the social media here that they'll donate all their money and join the army.

"Let's show the world what we are now capable of" kinda message. Nothing to do with a pile of rocks trust me my friend, its a Vulgar Display of Power developing atm. Not preetee lollll

Huge anti-American sentiment developing and big brother is not helping by flying a pair of fighter jets half mile above our heads this morning at 08:30am. We had the entire villa's management jumping on their feet waving at them (young children waiting for the school bus, women, men, everyone...). Sick stuff I tell ya

Fuk'ed up world. Really fuk'ed up if you ask me lollll

ps: note to self: stay indoor for a few days

Old 07-13-2016, 01:47 AM   #2682
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Did not know that. Sorry, man. Makes talk about headlights and old cars seem pretty unimportant. Hopefully, you can get the hell out of Dodge at some point soon.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 AM   #2683

Too kind again bro. Moving out 1st July year 2020 – we’ve formally informed relatives and friends a year ago (fivexit). Kootenay, BC. Dearest wife Helen and I will become Koots man (still in shock typing these)

My bro in law is in Nelson, and I-want-him-back – only brother. Helen misses the Canadian fluffy clouds she said! We’re all set for the goal, selling one condo + 2 less-than-great cars but packing up the Boxster, of course. Renting 40” container, moving out shop machine tools and our everything else, literally. There; for that little problem

RE war, no way it will ever happen. Chinese are (IMHO) the most peaceful freaks on this planet. Kind, generous, happy, violent crime = zero etc. Would be hard to perceive these chaps fighting with anything in all honesty. That’s what it is in reality – never believe what you hear on the blogs, possibly just an automated central system filling the logs

If however and somehow the last peaceful society suddenly hit their head on a rock, and decide to become warriors (lollll) then believe me, this world is doomed and mankind are fossils in a few. It'd be disastrous, Super Cool Headlights or not!

Cars, ah, yes. Cars!!!

What did you do with/to your Boxster today?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:47 AM   #2684
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

Huge anti-American sentiment developing and big brother is not helping by flying a pair of fighter jets half mile above our heads this morning at 08:30am. We had the entire villa's management jumping on their feet waving at them (young children waiting for the school bus, women, men, everyone...). Sick stuff I tell ya

Fuk'ed up world. Really fuk'ed up if you ask me lollll

ps: note to self: stay indoor for a few days
Well Fred it's a good thing you're not American
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #2685

I’m a Koots, a Cannuck Koots – don’t shoot don’t shoot

There is two kind of ppl in this part of the world Tommy. One that has white skin and golden hair, and the other that doesn’t. American, French, Headlights Country or not, I’ll eventually end up in the hot pot bowl. This part of the world ‘s gone weird man…. don’t like it here anymore lolll (I wanna go home with my pussi tone ON)

I-wanna-be a Koots, roasting fresh lake trout’s in my fire pit every Saturday Nights! Done with the big cities and their strange stereotypes

PS: No panic, no war, only plenty of CAR talks ahead!!! If it ever does comes down to a war rest assured that below is as bad as it will get.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #2686

Won't say this again (apologies for the emotional rant btw), but,

Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #2687
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage

Ok, back on track........drove it to work today. 45 minutes to go 15 miles commute (it was a good day, time-wise). Not exactly what the Box was built for, but hey - it's summer, I've got a cool convertible, and I'm driving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by grc0456; 07-13-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #2688
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Ok, back on track........drove it to work today. A 45 minutes to go 15 miles commute (it was a good day, time-wise). Not exactly what the Box was built for, but hey - it's summer, I've got a cool convertible, and I'm driving it

I drove top down on the way to work. 45 miles 15 minutes
Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 AM   #2689

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I drove top down on the way to work. 45 miles 15 minutes
This math doesn't quite check out...

Drove mine to work as well. 12 miles, 22min
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #2690
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
This math doesn't quite check out...

Drove mine to work as well. 12 miles, 22min
No it was closer to 20 miles in 20 minutes. Still much better than 15 miles in 45 minutes. The traffic near Boston would drive me nuts.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #2691
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
No it was closer to 20 miles in 20 minutes. Still much better than 15 miles in 45 minutes. The traffic near Boston would drive me nuts.

Yep, it sucks. Normally take my DD Civic (still a stick, though) and listen to sports talk radio on the way in, music on the way home. BUT, there is one place I can get off 93 coming home where I can let cars go by, and blast a nice 0-60 uphill stretch to hear the Box flat 6 wail. More addicting than certain substances.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #2692

Tonight I will check the tire pressure one last time and pack the car. Road trip tomorrow! Approximately 500 miles from the Northeast corner of NJ to Whitby, Canada so I can participate in the Mosport HDPE on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Have already had a few emails with my assigned instructor, looking forward to driving on a real race track again for the first time in about 30 years ( other than 8 laps at Exotics Racing in Las Vegas last April which was not quite a real race track IMHO).
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #2693

Backup camera works great...after too many hours of frustration. When all else fails read the directions. Video inputs are always yellow. I plugged the camera into the cable with yellow end marked video in. Nothing. There was a 2nd yellow video in on the back of the head unit. Nothing. Changed settings a dozen ways. Nothing. Gave up and went to bed. Today I looked at installation manual which said to plug backup camera into "BROWN" plug. Voilà!

Works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Earlier I added a Pioneer NEX-6200 which has an input for a backup camera so what the heck.

Picked up a Clarion camera, with distance markers, which seemed to get pretty good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Corporation-America-CC510-Automotive/dp/B00B43LK7E

The really nice thing about the camera is the connector that is attached to the camera is really narrow and I was able to thread through the same grommet that contains the license plate light wiring. There was a second really small hole in the upper left corner of the trunk that lead into the engine bay. I put a grommet in that hole so the wire wouldn't abrade.

That was all for tonight.

Tomorrow I'll route it from there up to the radio.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #2694

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Finished waxing the car today. As per request, some more pictures. Enjoy!

I_like_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #2695
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Backup camera works great...after too many hours of frustration. When all else fails read the directions. Video inputs are always yellow. I plugged the camera into the cable with yellow end marked video in. Nothing. There was a 2nd yellow video in on the back of the head unit. Nothing. Changed settings a dozen ways. Nothing. Gave up and went to bed. Today I looked at installation manual which said to plug backup camera into "BROWN" plug. Voilà!

Works great!

Nice work! Glad you slept on it and figured it out. The struggle is real

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #2696
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_like_tacos View Post
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Finished waxing the car today. As per request, some more pictures. Enjoy!

Love it, taco. Beautiful color, and looks really nice and clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #2697

After replacing the clutch lines from the master to slave cylinder a few days ago I dipped my wheels black so I don't have to see the brake dust that accumulates so quickly.
quick986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_like_tacos View Post
THAT, my friend, earns major props. I'm giving the "whoot whoot".

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 AM   #2699
Okinawa986

Remote Working Again...

...in search of remote/key redemption...

PROBLEM: Replaced Battery in New Key Fob and Remote stopped opening/closing doors and trunk but light flashes when buttons are pressed.

SOLUTION: Removed and Re-Installed new battery and remote became fully operational again.

BACKGROUND INFO:

Bought a new OEM Key Fob/Remote from Circle Porsche Parts because the cover and buttons on the Fob (only one) from seller had been sloppily glued together, looked like a Chinese replica, and functioned sporadically.

Took the Electronics (board) from the old remote/fob (did not replace battery) and placed it the inside the new OEM key remote/fob.

Also took the Transmitter from the old key and placed it inside the new remote/fob.

The New key/remote worked and the world seemed brighter and more full of hope...

Then, I thought, "hey, I should use the new battery that came with the new remote."

So, I cracked open the NEW key cover again, replaced the old battery with the new one, and went downstairs to try my new Key with new battery.

Pressed the unlock button, red remote light flashed but doors did not unlock...dark clouds rolled in and thunder cracked overhead as the scene turned biblical like something from a Moses movie.

I cursed the pagan Porsche gods for the hours of Porsche-key related anguish they inflicted upon me and climbed back onto my computer...in search of remote/key redemption...

Porsche Genuine Factory Part
Part Number: 98663724304
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Last edited by DRGETZ; 07-14-2016 at 06:00 AM.
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #2700

Milestones

A photo posted by Andrew (@alm01101) on

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote