Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #2561

I drove the Little Black Vomit Comet like I stole it.... then took it for a smog check.
It runs so clean, you could strap the engine on your back and scuba dive with it!

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #2562

got an original radio at a great price.
Attached Images

2006 Mercedes-Benz C280 4Matic
Wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #2563
Mig

Garage
I finally got my Boxster running again! i bought it in Dec 2014. The clutch got so stiff a few weeks later and finally the slave cylinder blew in Jan 2015. I had a motor to rebuild on another car before I could finally start on the Boxster. The summer was hot so I didn't do too much on it. In the end I replaced the following:
- clutch
- flywheel
- IMS bearing
- RMS
- resealed oil pan
- shift fork, ball pin, spring
- output shaft seal
- tranny gear oil
- slave cylinder
- hydraulic fluid change
- spark plugs and apark plug tubes
- rear struts
- rear drop links
- AOS
I'm waiting for the rear bumper cover to come back from the paint shop before I can put the car back on the road, but I did take it for a drive up and down the street with the firewall and top engine cover off - loud and wonderful sounding!
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #2564

I replaced the reverse light bulbs with LED ones. Unfortunately I was under the impression that they were supposed to have the BAU15S socket, but it was actually BA15S, so I ended up filing away one of the pins on each bulb. I had managed to find LEDs that would work with reverse polarity so now they're shining brighter than ever.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 AM   #2565
Shacky

Previous owner already had this option. How much do they cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The wind deflector makes a bigger difference than I imagined. Expensive, but worth it.

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #2566
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
$458.72 from Suncoast.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #2567

I finally had a chance to drive 'spiritedly' with new tires and alignment. (RE 11s) These tires are great!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #2568

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

BBQ time
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #2569

2002 s

Removed front bumper to clean air intake, found about 30% blockage from bugs and leaves, going for long ride today with top down.
eallga72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #2570

Garage

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #2571

Hi all
I changed the front into a cayman hand made look-a-like front. So happy, including a cayman hardtop since last 2 years!

Bye from the Netherlands

ducati11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati11 View Post
Hi all
I changed the front into a cayman hand made look-a-like front. So happy, including a cayman hardtop since last 2 years!

Bye from the Netherlands

Great Look!
Old 05-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #2573

Washed and waxed mine yesterday. Left home early this morning with my wife and had a nice drive down to Alexandria VA. Stopped at Mount Vernon for lunch, heading into Old Towne for dinner, then going to check out some of the monuments in DC tonight.

Driving to Gettysburg tomorrow, doing some sight seeing there, and returning home Monday via PA. About a 700 mile trip all together.
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #2574
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Nothing with the Box today. But I did show some love to my wife's car, as she is a nurse and has to work all weekend, plus Memorial Day. She jokes that the Box gets all the love, but her car got the full Monty today - full interior detail with carpet shampoo and leather clean/condition. Outside got wash, clay, and then machine compound, polish and wax. Black rubber treatment and wheel detail. Here it is waiting to pick her up from work. She was pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #2575
Known Gearhead

Garage
My driver side door audio woofer was rattling and making that farting sound like a split diaphragm. As it turned out, the 5.25" speaker was fine. Sometime in the past an idiot had drilled a couple of 1/2" drain holes in the bottom edge of the door. One of those holes was into the speaker's resonance box that extends along the bottom edge of the door. As a result, back-pressure air from the speaker was exiting the hole and causing the sheet metal of the door to vibrate. Stuck some acoustic damping tape over the hole and along the bottom side of the plastic resonance chamber. Problem solved. Sounds great.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #2576
Jay

Changed Brake Fluid on 2003 S without pressure pump. I used two person method with some fluid in the bottle that way we did not have to open and close the valve with every pump. I could not reach to the clutch drain valve so left that alone.

We also changed fluid on my friends 997.2 Carrera-S with PSM using the same method. No special tool was required unless someone wants to flush the ABS.
jay2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #2577

Garage
Changed the oil. It's so easy to do when you have ramps.

Tony

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 AM   #2578

I tried changing the rear turn signal bulbs for LED ones. I discovered that I need a new relay, so that's ordered from eBay. Will be a few weeks until they're here, but I'm in no hurry.
I've already installed LED bulbs for the reverse lights and they work great. It needs to be non-polar bulbs, though, since polarity is reversed.

Edit: A few days ago, while driving it on a short track with lots of bends, I discovered a few things:
1. When the brakes get too hot, there's a red light shining on the dashboard.
2. When the brake fluid is boiling, there's not... :P
I've order a pair of 997 GT3 brake duct spoilers and I plan on changing the brake fluid for one that can take a bit more heat. I'm also contemplating dimpled and slotted rotors.

Last edited by fridsten; 06-01-2016 at 04:23 AM.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #2579

So I've had my Box for about two weeks now since it was at the shop for IMS, RMS, clutch, flywheel, exhaust mod and the list goes on and on....and it feels and drives and sounds like it's fresh out of the Porsche showroom and so I put the top down and wife and I head off to the local ice cream spot after dinner and pull in and park. And almost immediately this little boy, probably eight or nine, is in line for ice cream and he lets go of his dad's hand and walks over and his dad is laughing and the little boy asks me "excuse me sir I like your car what kind of car is this?"
So this little boy got a grand tour of a very clean 2000 Porsche Boxster and got to sit in the seat and hold the wheel and learned how to pronounce Porsche with two syllables. And then my wife vacates her seat and lets the little boy sit in the passenger side so I can fire it up and let him hear the glorious sound of a flat six engine. And he smiles and says he wants to have a car like this when he grows up.
I paid $10,000 for this car and have put another $10,000 into it to return it to its former glory. I can guarantee you that I will spend considerably more as time goes on. Anyone with any financial common sense would tell me I'm wasting my money. But when a little kid sits in the driver's seat of your Porsche and takes hold of the wheel like Moses accepting the two stone tablets, you just go ahead and try and tell me I wasted my money. It won't work. These cars are works of art, and the little kids...they know.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 06-01-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #2580

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
So I've had my Box for about two weeks now since it was at the shop for IMS, RMS, clutch, flywheel, exhaust mod and the list goes on and on....and it feels and drives and sounds like it's fresh out of the Porsche showroom and so I put the top down and wife and I head off to the local ice cream spot after dinner and pull in and park. And almost immediately this little boy, probably eight or nine, is in line for ice cream and he lets go of his dad's hand and walks over and his dad is laughing and the little boy asks me "excuse me sir I like your car what kind of car is this?"
So this little boy got a grand tour of a very clean 2000 Porsche Boxster and got to sit in the seat and hold the wheel and learned how to pronounce Porsche with two syllables. And then my wife vacates her seat and lets the little boy sit in the passenger side so I can fire it up and let him hear the glorious sound of a flat six engine. And he smiles and says he wants to have a car like this when he grows up.
I paid $10,000 for this car and have put another $10,000 into it to return it to its former glory. I can guarantee you that I will spend considerably more as time goes on. Anyone with any financial common sense would tell me I'm wasting my money. But when a little kid sits in the driver's seat of your Porsche and takes hold of the wheel like Moses accepting the two stone tablets, you just go ahead and try and tell me I wasted my money. It won't work. These cars are works of art, and the little kids...they know.
So very true! I had a young guy, no more than 20 years old, stop and stare, asking what year mine was. He could not believe it was a 2001. He just stood and stared another minute or two before he walked off, commenting how beautiful it was.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote