Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #781

Quote:
Originally Posted by soucorp View Post
Driving in to work this morning...

ALL SMILES !
A picture worth a thousand words, that smiling face worth a million

TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #782

Drove from Maine to WV to race at Summit Point. Beautiful country. On the minus side, I think I trashed a rear wheel bearing on the way home.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #783

Garage
Installed new Smoked Depo brake lights on my 986.

Touch The Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #784

Bought a $4.00 soldering iron from harbor frieght to save my good one whilst de-ambering headlights .

Took out the drivers side headlight .

Sat it on the kitchen table .

Got drunk on the front porch and played on the Internet .

I guess I'll either finish the job tomorrow , or just refit the headlight I removed earlier .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #785

Installed a new gas cap...the string broke on my other one.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #786
M31

Garage
Drove out to RSP Motorsports in Komoka for Cars & Coffee

M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #787

-new water pump
-new thermostat
-new belt
-changed oils (M1 0w40 & pentossin ATF)
-996 wheels (rear w/ 23mm spacer)

What a day!
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #788

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
-new water pump
-new thermostat
-new belt
-changed oils (M1 0w40 & pentossin ATF)
-996 wheels (rear w/ 23mm spacer)

What a day!
How about pics of the new wheels?!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #789

a different kind of drive

Sometimes life takes you full circle. It seems my car spends a lot of time getting cleaned up, worked on, made faster or prettier, or generally impressing people that really don't matter. While making me poorer.
I am not a frustrated racer. I will never win a concours. I am not a social climber.
I like driving. I like sun, and wind. I like machinery that works. I like control over my immediate situation. I like pretty lines, whether in a girl or a car. I like good company.

Today:
My 6 yr old always claims dibs when there is a vacancy in the shotgun seat of my red car, but several days ago my 4 yr old put her foot down and insisted the next ride was hers, regardless of where she and I were going. Today’s shopping errand to 2 of the outlying suburbs provided the excuse, and off we went, her first ride in over a year. Her grin unfolded to a radiant smile as we put the top down, and stayed put until we accelerated onto the expressway, when it gave way to 20 minutes of solid giggles and laughter as she felt her long hair dance with the wind, then fought to keep the skirt of her church dress from flying all over the place, then gave up on both to concentrate on surfing her palm in the warm air currents just beyond the roofline and window sill. A hard corner and her eyes get bigger, but the perma-grin remains. Coming home she grabs my hand from the shifter, giggles, pulls it over to kiss it, then doesn’t let go.

Memorable quotes from our conversations today: “Daddy, I want to go fast, but not too fast because I don’t want the policeman to take us to jail.” “When I grow up, I want to get a house that comes with a car just like this.” “I wish everybody had a car like this one ( I think she means the roof).” “I’m gonna be a real good driver when I get big and become a gymnastics teacher, you know.” Even a “our car is kinda cool,” when we saw it glinting in the streetlight as we came out of a store.
Others: “My favorite part of the ketchup is the bacon on the bottom.” After feeling an isolated rain drop -“Daddy, do you want to hear my RainRainGoAway song?“ And ”I want to do this again.”

Me too.
I started off driving conservatively out of regard for her safety. I wound up unconsciously driving slower than usual because I was in no hurry for it to end. It’s nice to be reminded of why I bought this car. Maintenance, schmaintenance. This thing rocks. So does my baby girl.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #790

I refitted the headlight I took out yesterday
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Sometimes life takes you full circle. It seems my car spends a lot of time getting cleaned up, worked on, made faster or prettier, or generally impressing people that really don't matter. While making me poorer.
I am not a frustrated racer. I will never win a concours. I am not a social climber.
I like driving. I like sun, and wind. I like machinery that works. I like control over my immediate situation. I like pretty lines, whether in a girl or a car. I like good company.
Great story BL.

Although I don't have children, I can really to your first paragraph. Very fun ride, and thanks for the cheery picture of you and your daughter.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #792

Cleaned her up after Boxstoberfest! What a BLAST!
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #793
Lover of all things bacon

Repaired the convertable top on my 987. It was suffering from the dreaded "top doesn't seat fully in the tracks" issue.

Step 1: unscrewed the T-15 nuts on each side holding the tension elastic, moved it over a couple of holes and reattached.

Step 2: the folding guide string had come apart at the crimp. I just tied the two ends together in a square knot, fed through the guide passage in the top with a coat hanger, and reattached.

Step 3: replaced one of the plastic ball joint caps in the pivot arms. My right pivot arm had pulled out of the threads in the cap. You can get these caps on eBay for about $25. Beats ordering whole new arms from Porsche.

2005 Boxster S
2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #794

Garage
Quote:

Today:
My 6 yr old always claims dibs when there is a vacancy in the shotgun seat of my red car, but several days ago my 4 yr old put her foot down and insisted the next ride was hers, regardless of where she and I were going. Today’s shopping errand to 2 of the outlying suburbs provided the excuse, and off we went, her first ride in over a year. Her grin unfolded to a radiant smile as we put the top down, and stayed put until we accelerated onto the expressway, when it gave way to 20 minutes of solid giggles and laughter as she felt her long hair dance with the wind, then fought to keep the skirt of her church dress from flying all over the place, then gave up on both to concentrate on surfing her palm in the warm air currents just beyond the roofline and window sill. A hard corner and her eyes get bigger, but the perma-grin remains. Coming home she grabs my hand from the shifter, giggles, pulls it over to kiss it, then doesn’t let go.

Memorable quotes from our conversations today: “Daddy, I want to go fast, but not too fast because I don’t want the policeman to take us to jail.” “When I grow up, I want to get a house that comes with a car just like this.” “I wish everybody had a car like this one ( I think she means the roof).” “I’m gonna be a real good driver when I get big and become a gymnastics teacher, you know.” Even a “our car is kinda cool,” when we saw it glinting in the streetlight as we came out of a store.
Others: “My favorite part of the ketchup is the bacon on the bottom.” After feeling an isolated rain drop -“Daddy, do you want to hear my RainRainGoAway song?“ And ”I want to do this again.”

Me too.
I started off driving conservatively out of regard for her safety. I wound up unconsciously driving slower than usual because I was in no hurry for it to end. It’s nice to be reminded of why I bought this car. Maintenance, schmaintenance. This thing rocks. So does my baby girl.
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #795

Quote:
Sometimes life takes you full circle.
Really nice. Enjoy it while you can, and remember this when they become teenagers. Take it from someone with experience. Good luck to you.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #796

Repainted and fixed hail dings in the trunk, new left tail light(old one cracked), new spare tire, new battery, repainted mirrors, racing style seat belts, IMS Guardian Sr, new motor mount, oil changed. Plasti coated wheels, new colored center caps!
Goodbiketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #797

Three Sisters Drive aditional pics

So i finally got this pic ready to give you an idea of how much fun the hill country west of Austin can be in the Boxster. The first leg had a sign that said 12.
Attached Images

MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #798

Truly a DD

I was in Canada this past week fishing.

Just before leaving, my 99 Acura CL Winter Driver and Utility Car had a driver window malfunction in which the window disengaged from the motor and slid down on its own. I had to disassemble the door panel to get the window back up, then left it parked to the side of the driveway.

While fishing in the Great White North, my daughter driving to work this past Monday (suffering a bad cold that impaired her sense of smell) had her 00 Eclipse overheating, and by the time she noticed, the engine locked up.

She took the Acura to work Tuesday, but forgot about the window problem, and watched as the window irretrievablebly dropped into the door.

Wednesday and Thursday it was raining in Milwaukee. What was she to do with one car toast and the other not weather worthy? The Boxster to the rescue!

With a 99 Acura, a 00 Mitsubishi and a 01 Porsche, the Porsche is now our only dependable vehicle!

Yay, Boxster!

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #799

Garage
Sooooooooooooo, how was the fishing?! I was up there in June, had a fantastic time catching Walleye and Northern. Oh, and glad to see it is the Porsche that is the dependable one
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #800
2000 986 & 1972 914

Stuff

Drove it down to Miami Beach and back (weather sucked today).

Removed the front bumper and cleaned out the radiator, fan, etc...

Also reprogrammed my ECU (turned on the ignition without starting engine for 60 seconds, turned off and removed key for 10-seconds and turned on the engine).

Fern

martinef1963 is offline   Reply With Quote