Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #1

98 Boxster Gauge Cluster Out

1998 Boxster with 103K. I hadn't driven in about 2 week. Started fine and drove off but after about a mile noticed that I did had not have tach or speedometer. The entire gauge cluster is out but not the warning lights. Also the lights behind the gauges don't illuminate when I turn the headlamp switch on.

Have checked fuses, fully charged the battery, and put in the new ignition switch I had been holding onto for a while. Removed the gauge cluster and checked the tabs on the back, reconnected. Still no gauges.

In case of a mouse problem in the garage I checked the wiring on either side of the battery or under the dash. Also pulled the engine cover to the and saw no problems.

Any thoughts? Is it common to lose a gauge cluster completely? Is there a fuse inside the gauge enclosure? Any way to tell for sure if it is a defective cluster?

Thanks for any help.

ncoldboxster1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #2

Problem turned out to be the cluster. Bought a replacement off Ebay for a GREAT price. Fifteen minutes to replace and I was off and driving.
ncoldboxster1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoldboxster1998 View Post
Problem turned out to be the cluster. Bought a replacement off Ebay for a GREAT price. Fifteen minutes to replace and I was off and driving.
Well at least it wasn't the serp belt.