Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Garage
Keyless entry - Do I have one?

Hello folks,
I've been reading these forums like crazy these last 2 weeks during the purchase of my brand new old Boxster 1999.
Now that I have it, time for some fun projects. Car is running great, but there are a couple things I'd like to add/fix in it.

Firstly, can you guys help me about the keyless entry? It looks like I do have an alarm system and and some automatic locking, but I don't believe I have the keyless system.

Well, it is kind of obvious that I don't have it. These are the keys that I've got:

So, what can I do from here? Is there any OEM solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? If not, is there a good aftermarket system that you guys suggest?

(I've search the forums for some hints, but most threads I found was about replacing the key with a CGT key, which I'd like to do laster too).

THANKS!!!

Montesinnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Most likely the prior owner went the cheap route and replaced the keys with the non-remote units. All that would (likely) need to be done to replace that is to get two remote heads, swap the keyblades, and program the remotes (not sure if the dealer needs to or if can be done at home). I believe the transponder pellet can be swapped from the old head to the new one (if disassembled).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Most likely the prior owner went the cheap route and replaced the keys with the non-remote units. All that would (likely) need to be done to replace that is to get two remote heads, swap the keyblades, and program the remotes (not sure if the dealer needs to or if can be done at home). I believe the transponder pellet can be swapped from the old head to the new one (if disassembled).
So you're saying that there's a chance that I already have a receiver in the car for a remote control?
Montesinnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

On the subject of keyless entry... mine doesn't work.

how do I re-sync my key? The LED turns on when I press the button, so I know it's working
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #5

hi, u mean u need to program new remote for boxter ?
josephkourieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

if ur remote it work and the light on when u press button , i think u must to do learn remote control on sepecial scanner like porche commande 4.0
josephkourieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesinnos View Post
So you're saying that there's a chance that I already have a receiver in the car for a remote control?
Yes, that's most likely the case. You just need new keys with the transmitter. I say "just", but it's not a cheap proposition. A dealer must program them, which is not cheap.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #8

You buy the fob, Remote Control Keyhead:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn.

Then take it to a dealer to program. I paid $125 I think.

Don't buy the fob from eBay unless it has the bar code.

Good luck.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephkourieh View Post
if ur remote it work and the light on when u press button , i think u must to do learn remote control on sepecial scanner like porche commande 4.0
I followed the thing in the manual. Did everything, but the key still isn't synced.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

I have those keys too. I just assumed I didn't have the remote function. I would be nice buy it's not breaking my heart.

'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote