Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

Complete Headlight Failure

Hey guys,
I've quite an aggravating problem: my low-beam headlights won't turn on. One morning the other week I turned the car on and flipped the headlight switch over and nothing happened. The "parking lights" turn on, though, and so do the high beams. Both fuses A9 and A10 are good (I even replaced them), and the bulbs look good from what I could tell. I finally got a new headlight switch ($115 from Pelican Parts) tonight, installed it, and...nothing! No change.

*pulling hair out*

Please help.

Thanks.
Neal

BoxNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It could be a problem with a wire between the switch/fuses and the actual headlights. You could try checking in the front trunk, near the wiring harness (by the battery) then follow the wires to the headlights to check for corrosion or just a problem with one of the wires.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #3

A long time ago someone had the same problem. Turned out both low beam bulbs burned out at the same time - believe it or not.

So I would rule out that you have 2 burned out low beam bulbs. The high and low beam bulbs are the same. So swap your low beam bulbs with the hight beam bulbs and see what happens.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Sheesh! You were right, Tool Pants. I should have done that check first. It was weird, though: both filaments looked good at first inspection and then "disintegrated" when I tapped the glass with my finger. Odd.

So now the real question is: why did my headlights burn out at the same time? It was a wet night when they went out. Oh well, at least everything works now!

Thanks guys!
BoxNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #5

The story is that when one bulb burns out it causes a voltage spike to the other bulb and that one burns out as well.

I always thought this was an old wives tale. But I have seen enought reports from Boxster owners over the years that I am starting to believe this tale.

Believe it or not....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It's always funny when it something simple like that. To bad you already spent $115 on a new switch.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
gcb

changing a headlight bulb

can anyone give me some simple steps on how to change my 03 drivers bulb. the lowbeam went out and I assume its the bulb... high beam works fine....

does it need to be removed through the wheel wells?
gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 AM   #8

It's easy....

- instructions are in the manual and the tool (5mm) is in the tool kit w/ spare tire.
- Pop out entire light housing
- take off back
- disconnect wiring plug
- un-hook retaining wire (push down and move to side and release)
- pull bulb out
- insert new bulb (be careful to not touch glass w/ bare finger - use a towel)
- reverse to install

Fog / Low / High all use the same bulb - H7 (for non-xenon/litronics)
so it's easy to swap one bulb for another to test for burnt out bulb or in a pinch (if a low is burnt out - just swap w/ a fog or high beam until you can replace )

Tip - the loud bang/snap noise is good/supposed to happen when turning the release tool to remove and install the light housing. But after reinstalling, tug on enclosure to make sure it's seated properly. There are guide rails and knobs to assist in lining up back up for reinstallation. It goes in smoothly so don't force it.

PS - Pick up a 2-Pack of H7 bulbs when one side needs replaced. Personally, I find it best/easiest/most efficient to replace both sides at same time. If not you usually get/have to repeat on the other side w/in a week or 2 (as the bulbs were installed originally in the car at the same time right )

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 12-17-2007 at 05:09 AM. Reason: added PS
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

Burg Boxster and this board rocks! I had the same problem tonight, drove home with my high beams on and searched the boards and found this thread. Switched the high beam bulb with the low beam until I get a couple of new bulbs. I've had japanese cars so I'm used to havinig just 1 bulb for hi/lo. Would have never thought the lo was burned out (even after looking in the manual since they both burned out at the same time.)
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #10

That happened to me one night. I drove to a friends house and when I returned after a couple hours to drive away, no lights. After a few tries I giggled the ignition switch and voila, lights again.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The story is that when one bulb burns out it causes a voltage spike to the other bulb and that one burns out as well.

I always thought this was an old wives tale. But I have seen enought reports from Boxster owners over the years that I am starting to believe this tale.

Believe it or not....
+1 100%

Always replace Headlamps in pairs!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote