Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Clamshell Microswitch

What is the function of the microswitch supposed to be? Once it's triggered should it shut down the motor for the top? Is it only there to shut off the dash light, but will allow the motor to keep running?

If a correctly working top turns off the motor once it's completed the opening cycle, what switch triggers the shut off of the motor?

If the light in the dash for the top is constantly on, and hasn't been reset yet, will that keep the switches from operating correctly?

This is on a 1997 Boxster base. When I bought it the previous owner had replaced the entire top and frame, but never reconnected the linkages. The dash light for the top is constantly on. I re-synced the transmissions and connected the linkages, so the top goes up and down fine. The problem is that when opening I can keep pressing the open button and the motor will keep turning.

He also gave me a complete set of spare parts including the motor/switch device, transmissions, cables, linkages, and brackets.

SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Does this help?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

As far as I know the motor will continue to run until you take your finger of the button. Microswitches turn off the intransit light once the full up or down position is reached. This includes clamshell motion. I am strictly going by what I have observed.

You have to watch the light to know when you are done and can release
The button

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidWorks Mike View Post
What is the function of the microswitch supposed to be? Once it's triggered should it shut down the motor for the top? Is it only there to shut off the dash light, but will allow the motor to keep running?

If a correctly working top turns off the motor once it's completed the opening cycle, what switch triggers the shut off of the motor?

If the light in the dash for the top is constantly on, and hasn't been reset yet, will that keep the switches from operating correctly?

This is on a 1997 Boxster base. When I bought it the previous owner had replaced the entire top and frame, but never reconnected the linkages. The dash light for the top is constantly on. I re-synced the transmissions and connected the linkages, so the top goes up and down fine. The problem is that when opening I can keep pressing the open button and the motor will keep turning.

He also gave me a complete set of spare parts including the motor/switch device, transmissions, cables, linkages, and brackets.

Last edited by jaykay; 08-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
As far as I know the motor will continue to run until you take your finger of the button. Microswitches turn off the intransit light once the full up or down position is reached. This includes clamshell motion. I am strictly going by what I have observed.

You have to watch the light to know when you done and can release
The button
I guess unill I get the 'in-transit' light cleared from its warning state, I'll have to watch the clamshell in the mirror until it reaches it's down position. Was curios if the motor should still run which sounds like it should.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Sounds like you have a bad switch somewhere based on my observed logic. There is one embedded in the hook catch that can get stuck and give problems. You can try working that with a small flat head to see if it is stuck. I recall seeing a switch behind the drivers left side roll hoop. The plunger was exposed and un depressed with the top in service position....not sure about this one though

Last edited by jaykay; 08-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Sounds like you have a bad switch somewhere based on my observed logic. There is one embedded in the hook catch that can get stuck and give problems. You can try working that with a small flat head to see if it is stuck. I recall seeing a switch behind the drivers left side roll hoop. The plunger was exposed and un depressed with the top in service position....not sure about this one though
The hook catch switch works as it should, thats easy to see because when the top is up, and I release the latch, the windows move down the 4 inches to allow the top to retract.

The only 'oddity' that was confusing me is the fact that the motor will continue to turn once the clamshell gets to it's downed position. As someone else mentioned that may be the intended functionality and you are supposed to release the switch once the dash light comes on. Unfortunately my light is always on because I have not got the error cleared.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #7

Okay just put my top up for the first time in a while....going up the light and motor cut out their own...I would think there is a micro for the clam shell

I will check the down a bit later

Down cuts out the light and motor as well.

I must have been confused by other cars I have been driving.....been tooling around the Cabot trail !

Last edited by jaykay; 09-04-2012 at 07:20 AM.