Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Will it fit (Hardtop) in Lexus RX450h?

Gotta pick up a hardtop this weekend, want to use the Lexus RX450h to transport, I saw a post from the past elsewhere that someone used a Jeep Cherokee and it fit.
I know it's 58" at back, 46" at front, 50" front to back, 23" high, but will it fit into the back of the Lexus 450h (same as a RX350)
Appreciate any help.
(I measured the opening of the Lexus and it's 42", and was thinking if I get it in diagonally, then it'll fit as the width is fine once past the hatch opening).
Just wondering if anyone ever did or did not use a SUV to transport and the 100% know it will answer is needed.

guruuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It will not fit in the RX-350 according to the guy who sold me my hardtop.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Pick it up with a Boxster. It can be done without the spin locks by using some zip ties.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Pick it up with a Boxster. It can be done without the spin locks by using some zip ties.
I transported my hardtop home without spinlocks as well. I drove about 50 miles with majority on highway and back roads. I didn't have zip ties so i used some rope the previous owner had in his garage. It made some noise over bumps but never came up. just use the spinlock levers to secure the top to the roll bar or anything stationary in the vehicle. Take your time and you will be fine. enjoy!
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #5

Toyota 4 Runner big enough?

OK, I have not got the parts yet for the hardtop (spin locks, bolts, etc.) and will not see them until possibly the end of this week.
However, I have another vehicle I can use to pickup the hardtop, and was hoping someone can tell me if it'll work or not.
I have to drive 750 mile each way (1500 RT) to get this, and was kinda hoping to leave tomorrow or Thursday.

These are the specifications I found, with picture for the rear opening of the Toyota.
Please, please, tell me it'll work?????
------------------------------------------------
42 inches high,45 inches wide(measured on the inside,wheel well to wheel well) and 68 inches long to the back of the 2nd row seats folded down.The rear door entrance is only 37 inches high by 46 inches wide
------------------------------------------------
Pictures:Removed the Rear Sliding Tray-5TH Gen Limited - Toyota 4Runner Forum
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #6

How about a toyota 4 Runner, will it fit?
42 inches high,45 inches wide(measured on the inside,wheel well to wheel well) and 68 inches long to the back of the 2nd row seats folded down.The rear door entrance is only 37 inches high by 46 inches wide?
Pictures are viewed here:
Removed the Rear Sliding Tray-5TH Gen Limited - Toyota 4Runner Forum

1500 mile roundtrip, gotta be sure before I go!
HELP!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #7

Toyota 4 Runner----will it fit into here?
1500 mi. roundtrip, got to make sure, want to leave soon, help?
42 inches high,45 inches wide(measured on the inside,wheel well to wheel well) and 68 inches long to the back of the 2nd row seats folded down.The rear door entrance is only 37 inches high by 46 inches wide
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #8

Garage
wow. 1500mi trip to pick up a hardtop? is shipping an option. between gas, food and drive time you may be better off paying for freight shipping and picking up at your local distribution warehouse.

does your local dealership have the spinlocks in stock? can you borrow spinlocks from a local boxster owner.

as stated before, you can drive without the spinlocks installed. for a 1500 mile trip, i would spend some extra time strapping down the rear levers. make sure they are rock solid before driving. keep the windows closed so you dont get an unexpected uplift from the wind and you should be good to go.

good luck.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #9

I know my options

I appreciate your reply, however, I choose to drive, eat, sleep, take a road trip.
I know all the things you are telling me, but it's not what I asked.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruuno View Post
I appreciate your reply, however, I choose to drive, eat, sleep, take a road trip.
Thanks.
I would assume that there is more than one Porsche dealership between you and the seller... Why not drive the Porsche and find a dealership along the way that has the spin-locks? Even if you have to detour a bit? If you're going to the trouble to drive half way across the country, surely you can deviate slightly to get the proper hardware...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #11

Should fit in the 4 runner. Brought mine home in my 02 Sequoia without a problem. If I recall the top needs a 49" opening to go in. You should have that on an angle on the rear hatch openiing.

Last edited by jrj3rd; 08-29-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: bad typing should have been 49" - sorry
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #12

Thanks! But???

1st, I already ordered my parts, and will not have here in NJ until Sat/Tues.
2nd, I'd prefer not to take the Porsche on Rt. 80, not now anyway, maybe later sometime.

Having had done 5 roadtrips over the last 10 years or so with various cars, I'm not ready to do it in my Boxster, by myself, until maybe a year or 3 from now.

Thanks for all the help, so 40" opening works? (My wives Lexus RX450h has a 42" opening, and I was told it was a no fit/no go, so now I'm even more confused!?>?#$(*@$&
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guruuno View Post
Thanks.
ANSWER to your question:

No, it will not fit.