Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Click, click, click

So I went to start up the box and nothing but clicks, not even the faintest effort of turning over. Put on the battery tender but no help. What is everyone doing for a battery these days. I have a 2003 -.any way to tell if it is the original battery?

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Regarding age, if it's cooked does it matter? Before you replace it you might want to charge it with a more powerful charger, trickles are not so great at restoring a dead battery as they are at maintenance. Check it close to confirm that you cannot access the cells, if you can fill them with distilled water before the charge. If you charge it with a partial plate uncovered it will ruin it. As for replacement, I am fond of interstate batteries.

I have this now as my dad is sick and will never use it again, it's from our old shop.

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/BC4200B.asp?partno=BC4200B

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 08-20-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Likely it's original if it says Porsche on it. I had to replace mine with a battery from Wal-Mart ( ) since I was stuck away from home late at night and that was the only place open. Works fine, though.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Sam's has Energizer batteries for a Porsche. It was around $90 and has MORE cranking amps than original. Check your local Sammies…I did not see it online.

Now it has another reason to keep going & going & …..
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Maintenance free...not exactly

Checked he water level - low or very low in every cell.
I don't think i have seen someone add water to a battery since the 70s.

Car sat in the very hot garage for two weeks while on vacation but nothing else unusual. Now hooked up to a sears battery chager...will see wht happens tomorrow.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

If you drive your car weekly or more than a standard battery, even from Walmart is fine.

If however you are an occasional driver and want not to worry about trickle chargers and leaving the car sit for months then you need an Odessy battery.

They have astounding cranking power for the size and you can leave them sit without trickle charging for a year or more.

I use them in my planes and there was a period where I did not fly for a year but would come start it up every couple months.

The alternator was removed during that time for service so the battery did not get a charge while running and started the plane every couple months for a year without a recharge or trickle of any kind.

I put them in my Seadoos and boats as well so I dont have to worry about dead batteries in the spring.

Another great feature is that you can run the battery till its completely dead, like if you have a short somewhere and it drains and even then you just recharge and it comes back to life no problem.

A regular battery would be shot if it is drained down completely and left that way.

I have about 5 Odessy batteries in various toys and they simply refuse to die no matter how you abuse them.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote