Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Alternator Idler pulley

I am trying to remove the alternator.

Is there a trick to removing the idler pulley bolt?
I read that the bolt is left-hand fastening.
I must have turned the bolt at least 360 degrees but it is not getting easier. Is this normal?

I am using a socket and the bolt is stripping.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mikehkang; 08-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Update

--Update----

The bolt is officially too damaged for a socket.
I can still use the boxed end wrench.

I searched this forum and read Mike Yi's recommendation to use PB Blaster. He said to use it a day before and an hour before. Well, it is a bit late for me but perhaps late is better than never in this case. The PB Blaster ordered.

Three questions to 986 experts in this forum.

1. The bolt IS LEFT-HAND FASTENED meaning I must turn clockwise to loosen it, yes?
2. How to remove the stripped bolt? The battery is fully charged. I can drive to a mechanic. 3. Is it time to give up and seek an expert?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

The pulley bolt is out!!!
The pulley bolt is out!!!

(This post must be a some sort of record for the OP posting 3 straight times. )

This is what I did.
It my desperation, I turned the bolt the counter-clockwise and it came off.
The bolt WAS NOT LEFT-HAND fastened at all. It was a good old, "righty tighty lefty loosy."

I am a bit confused as there are MANY how-to-articles on NET that state the bolt is left-hand.
Here is one. https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingyouralternator

I will upload the picture of the bolt that clearly shows the cross-section contraction as the result of the tensile load I was giving it.

Thanks for the silent support.

Last edited by mikehkang; 08-19-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

my one word of warning - one bolt i thought must be completely removed, however it was only meant to be loosened. by removing it, the install was a lot harder than it should have been. also, it is very easy to break some of the housing bracket with too much force when trying to pry the alternator out.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
my one word of warning - one bolt i thought must be completely removed, however it was only meant to be loosened. by removing it, the install was a lot harder than it should have been. also, it is very easy to break some of the housing bracket with too much force when trying to pry the alternator out.
Thanks for the visit Tony.

Quote:
one bolt i thought must be completely removed, however it was only meant to be loosened.
Do you mean the idler pulley bolt? The most, if not all, DIY instructions state 3 turns to loosen then tap to remove the alternator. If the idler pulley bolt is what you are referring to, I can't see how I can NOT remove the bolt as I need to remove the pulley to reinstall along with the new alternator.

Quote:
also, it is very easy to break some of the housing bracket with too much force when trying to pry the alternator out.
I am a newbie at car repair. Can you elaborate which ones in particular I need to watch out for?

My concern at the moment is WHY my idler bolt came out by turning it CCW.
Watching the videos online, it looks to me the belt is spinning clockwise. Assuming the belt's CW path is true, it makes sense that the bolt should/would have been LEFT-HANDED so that the bolt does not loosen with friction.
Do you have any insight?

Thank you Tony.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #6

Mike's site did not say the bolt was a left handed thread; it refered to the bolt on the right and left sides........
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Mike's site did not say the bolt was a left handed thread; it refered to the bolt on the right and left sides........
Thanks for the visit JFP.

After reading your above post, I went back and read it again.

Here is the section that confused me.
"* Unbolt and remove the Alternator by unbolting the right hand fastening screws, loosen the left hand fastening screw by three turns,..."

I now see it clearly "the right hand fastening SCREWS."

JFP, how is the pulley bolt considered left hand?
(Would you believe I LOOKED UP "left hand fastening" just to be sure? )

Anyway, I am VERY happy this morning.

I now need to get the part number for the bolt.

Thanks again JFP

Last edited by mikehkang; 08-20-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
Do you mean the idler pulley bolt? The most, if not all, DIY instructions state 3 turns to loosen then tap to remove the alternator.
yeah. i was hot, sweaty and cramped in the passenger area backwards. didn't read very well. so i worked and worked to remove the bolt before trying to wiggle / rotate the alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang:302314
I am a newbie at car repair. Can you elaborate which ones in particular I need to watch out for?
if the alternator's out, you're okay. it's just that some people (myself included) decide to use a lever and wedge the alternator out, or just use too much force, since it's pretty tight especially after all the heat and mileage.

HELP - 2000 Boxster 2.7 Tip - Alternator mount point BROKE - how to replace?...

as for your bolt, check out the parts catalog. i believe it's 996 101 021 01. check the catalog to be sure http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/originalparts/originalpartscatalogue/ and go to Illustration 101-05 and 101-10.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 08-20-2012 at 05:05 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the visit JFP.

After reading your above post, I went back and read it again.

Here is the section that confused me.
"* Unbolt and remove the Alternator by unbolting the right hand fastening screws, loosen the left hand fastening screw by three turns,..."

I now see it clearly "the right hand fastening SCREWS."

JFP, how is the pulley bolt considered left hand?
(Would you believe I LOOKED UP "left hand fastening" just to be sure? )

Anyway, I am VERY happy this morning.

I now need to get the part number for the bolt.

Thanks again JFP
Mike probably would have been clearer if he said "the bolt on the left"
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Mike probably would have been clearer if he said "the bolt on the left"
Thanks for the response JFP.
However, I am still a bit confused.

I want to get this right so that I don't make the same mistake in the future:
-There is two bolts holding the alternator. One about 7 o'clock of the alternator - this one is about 1 1/8 inches long, and the idler pulley bolt.
-Looking at the alternator from driver side, the idler pulley bolt would be a the bolt on the RIGHT not the left.
JFP, am I missing something?

I mean no disrespect by asking this question. I know I have much to learn about fixing this or any other car and I just want to learn correctly.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the response JFP.
However, I am still a bit confused.

I want to get this right so that I don't make the same mistake in the future:
-There is two bolts holding the alternator. One about 7 o'clock of the alternator - this one is about 1 1/8 inches long, and the idler pulley bolt.
-Looking at the alternator from driver side, the idler pulley bolt would be a the bolt on the RIGHT not the left.
JFP, am I missing something?

I mean no disrespect by asking this question. I know I have much to learn about fixing this or any other car and I just want to learn correctly.

Thank you in advance.
Let's see if we can clear this up; the alternator is mounted by two bolts, one at about 7 o'clock in the photo, the other that passes through the idler is at about 5 o'clock in the photo:

The comment on Mike's website was refering to the "left handed fastening screw" (the one at 7 o'clock in the photo), and the "right handed fastening screw" is the idler bolt (at about 5 o'clock in the photo). My point was that Mike was not making any reference to the thread type (left or right) in his comment, only the location when you are looking at the alternator.................. Unfortuantely, Mike's instructions does have the bolts reversed as to which one needs to be tapped, which probably is adding to your confusion.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Let's see if we can clear this up; the alternator is mounted by two bolts, one at about 7 o'clock in the photo, the other that passes through the idler is at about 5 o'clock in the photo:

The comment on Mike's website was refering to the "left handed fastening screw" (the one at 7 o'clock in the photo), and the "right handed fastening screw" is the idler bolt (at about 5 o'clock in the photo). My point was that Mike was not making any reference to the thread type (left or right) in his comment, only the location when you are looking at the alternator.................. Unfortuantely, Mike's instructions does have the bolts reversed as to which one needs to be tapped, which probably is adding to your confusion.

All clear now.
Thank you JFP.

BTW, it is not only Mike's instructions. There are others too.