Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #1

Take my Box to Korea?

My company is moving me to Seoul, S. Korea... Should I take my Boxster there? There are several factors to consider...

1. The weather in Korea is not like sunny Cal... Humid in the summer and freezing cold in the winter....
2. Roads are congested with tons of traffic and smog.....
3. I'm sure it will get TONS of dents and dings....
4. Maintenance would not be as easy....
5. Could get damanged in transit....

Reasons to take it:

1. Its a Boxster!!!
2. There's almost a 100% duty on imported luxury carz.. so the Boxster would be pretty pimp'n there...

jonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #2

Sounds like you a very familiar with Korea. I just spent a year in Korea and got back a month ago. I wouldn't take a car like that over there. Gas is super expensive, not too many people can work on a Porsche, your car will get beat to hell with the traffic and people. I wouldn't take it if I were you. It was hard enough getting my POS Hyundai worked on and it was a Korea car.

My recommendation is NO WAY! Pimpin? yes, but speaking the language and being an American is much more attractive to the ladies. I know I am probably telling you stuff you already know, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo
My company is moving me to Seoul, S. Korea... Should I take my Boxster there? There are several factors to consider...

1. The weather in Korea is not like sunny Cal... Humid in the summer and freezing cold in the winter....
2. Roads are congested with tons of traffic and smog.....
3. I'm sure it will get TONS of dents and dings....
4. Maintenance would not be as easy....
5. Could get damanged in transit....

Reasons to take it:

1. Its a Boxster!!!
2. There's almost a 100% duty on imported luxury carz.. so the Boxster would be pretty pimp'n there...
You pretty much answered your own question...It is 5 cons vs. 2 pros.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #4

Don't take it to S. Korea, whether you're there for a short or long haul; just buy yourself some Hyundai, Daewoo, or Kia luxo-mobile and save yourself the pain & heartache.

I was stationed there for a year and can safely say that the fuel there SUCKS, very few are impressed with 2-seaters, and competent "Porsche" mechanics DO NOT abound.

When you first witness an excessively laden 3/4 ton truck or passenger bus careen 'round a curve straight at you, your beloved Boxster is the LAST vehicle you'll want side-swiped. Sell it, store it, but leave it here.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #5

I've been to Seoul on business three or four times now. The Korean car companies have luxury models that are total knockoffs for Lexus and Mercedes top-of-the-line vehicles and are status symbols in the local marketplace. Dump your car allowance, if you are given one, into a used car like this and you'll enjoy sitting in traffic, of which there is plenty! They also get fairly good fuel economy and servicing them is easy.

Kia and Hyundai sell these large luxury cars, never seen on our shores. If I lived there, I'd own one, believe it or not. Now you would NEVER catch me owning one of these cars here in the US. I would rather ride a bus to work than drive one of the death traps these two companies export to the US.

It's so funny to me to drive around South Korea and see Daewoo cars... they only export fax machines to the US. It's like every company there makes everything one can think of from cars to guitars, from motorcycles to refrigerators, from fax machines to ???. And they don't brand them differently.

Let me close this little diatribe on Seoul with this: I hate the place and turned down the last invitation to go there and do some training... expensive, over-populated, and completely immoral despite all the churches one can find there.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-15-2005 at 09:19 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #6

Thumbs down Boxster to Europe good , Boxster to Korea bad

Let me close this little diatribe on Seoul with this: I hate the place and turned down the last invitation to go there and do some training... expensive, over-populated, and completely immoral despite all the churches one can find there.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold back get it off your chest! I concurr with the rest, the nays have it unanimous :ah:
Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #7

The final word...

Take it from someone who is Korean...

Don't bring the Box, for the reasons others have mentioned and a few more.

Rail26 makes a good point about chicks diggin your English language skills more than they would your German car.

Randall, some amusing observations in your post about Korean conglomerates. I think you'd find it interesting to know that for the most part, when Koreans come to the US they avoid buying Korean products like the plague...

For example, I'd never buy any Korean electronics, cars, and certainly not Hankook tires.

But my favorite laugh of the year in California, is when Koreans celebrate their Independence Day (from the Japanese occupation) by jumping into their Acuras and Lexuses and go around honking their horns.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
But my favorite laugh of the year in California, is when Koreans celebrate their Independence Day (from the Japanese occupation) by jumping into their Acuras and Lexuses and go around honking their horns.
I love it ... rolled off my chair.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #9

Anyung Haysayo!

One more point about the Koreans...they love GIANT four door cars. If you want to have a status symbol...get a BMW 760 (land yacht). SD987 will agree...I think.

The day I left Korea on a city bus we side swiped a car and the driver didn't stop man...he didn't stop. He hit the gas and we flew down the one lane road like Mary Letourneau going after the new 4th grader.

Randall said it best...they copied a bunch of nice luxury cars. Buy one of those. Korea gets colder than a witches titty in a brass bra doing push ups in the snow in the middle of February. Between the freezing weather and monsoon season...it isn't worth it.

Koreans don't value human life man...that is why you see a family of six on a moped haulin' ass with Ajima on back acting as the book end. Loved my time in Korea and wish I could go back someday. Kamsamnida.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote