Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Ignition key hole(hard to insert and remove key)

As of a few days ago, i seem to be having a really hard time inserting and removing my key.

What can I spray in there to remedy this problem? Is WD-40 safe or should I use graphite powder?

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

never mind. i found my answer. new ignition switch about $35.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

Garage
They are a lot cheaper than that, and buy two so to have a spare.
Audi Porsche Volkswagen New Ignition Switch 4A0905849B | eBay

"Validate part number from old switch"

Last edited by boxster6354; 08-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

I have same issue on mine. But if change ignition switch and do I need change new car key too? Or I still able to use existing one?
Ballgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgie View Post
I have same issue on mine. But if change ignition switch and do I need change new car key too? Or I still able to use existing one?
You would not have to change keys when you just change the switch mentioned above.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Garage
I got this switch and replaced it.... but the fit was not exactly the same for my 99box -- double checked that I had the right part number, etc -- the one that came out the car was white and the collar that fit up into the metal section was smaller diameter (see picture) ...that did not seem to be the issue ..just different ....new black switch did not slide and butt up to the metal easily ...pushed it hard in and it did finally get there but the key was locked up ...went back to the old switch and the key worked freely

...I have an intermittent starting problem that has never left me, but trying to be pro-active...I've already changed out the clutch switch...this switch seemed like the logical next step based on other forum threads

....see attachment for picture of the two switches ....maybe I just got a bad switch...

Last edited by doragman; 08-14-2012 at 03:06 PM.
doragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

How long have you had the car? Looks like a previous owner replaced the ignition switch assembly with the updated version. The electrical portion is not compatible between the two versions.
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 4B0-905-849-M5061
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

Garage
THANKS Spinnaker !!!

I am the second owner -- so that could have happened -- assume they would have had to replace the entire assembly ....sounds like I need to order the "4B" version of the switch
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #9

I know this is an old thread but thought I's post here rather than start a new one.

We've just had the same issue with our Ignition. Noticed the key hard to insert and remove, then the radio stayed on after removing the key.

Spoke to my local Porsche dealer who thought the same. He suggested speaking to Audi to get the switch (4A0905849B) as Porsche only sell the entire ignition assembly now. He thought the switch would cost ~ $120 Aussie dollars.

So I went to ebay, found a local seller offering them for $30. Now I wait a couple of days for it to be delivered, which isn't a drama as it's in the body shop getting some repairs now anyway.
WRC323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #10

Mt stereo will stay on for a little while after removing the key.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #11

My local Audi dealer quoted me $136 a few months ago out Burwood way, so ordered one from Pelican. Easy to changeover as long as you have a real small flat jewlers screwdiver.
Dosverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

Well I didn't have to wait a couple of days, the seller was really local and hand delivered it! Will install this weekend and hope it fixes. I don't yet understand how the key being hard to insert and remove is related to the switch though.

WRC323 is offline   Reply With Quote