Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Who has LEDs? Do they need a Load Resistor? What wattage?

Hi, I read the article about converting bulb lights to LEDs. Since I darkened my front and side markers and painted the rear "orange part" of the tail lights with Nightshades (kinda looks like a 550 tail light now). Now the BULB lights are barely visible!

I have several LEDs on order, since they are 3X stronger, for turn signals-front & rear, side markers, rear lights, tail/brake lights and interior door/map lights….the question is:

1). Do I need load resistors?
2). If so, on which lights? Where?
3). What wattage should they be? Either 50W6Ohm or 25W6Ohm?
4). Where do you mount the resistors? They DO get HOT!

Do we have someone here who has done this mod? I do not want to trigger a burned bulb light - because the LEDs pull so little power. Also, I do not want to have "fast flashing" lights either…..someone else must have been down this road before, what is the answer?

I have read several conflicting stories so I will rely on this board for the final word, what say you?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Here's a link RECON Part # 26420 - LED Bulb Load Resistor 6 Ohm / 50 Watt For Signal or Brake light with Dual Filament LED bulbs

Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

AFAIK, resistors are not required on 986, but you do need relays to run LED turn signals.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panameras View Post
AFAIK, resistors are not required on 986, but you do need relays to run LED turn signals.
I've seen replacement flasher relays that eliminate the need for resistors, which is the better way to go..
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
O.K. I am with ya on where to get it but…

The wattage of the bulb it is replacing is 21W…the LED pulls a watt or two….wouldn't 50 watts be too much resistance for the circuit? Don't want to over tax the circuit-like we are being over Taxed in US, but I digress. They make 25 Watt 6 Ohm resistors too, would not that be more applicable? Panameras, Relays…is that a UK spec thing or can you elaborate?

I almost wish I had not made my car look better at this point! But I sure DO NOT miss the orange!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
I've seen replacement flasher relays that eliminate the need for resistors, which is the better way to go..
Can the existing ones be modified?..or..where can I get them? Are they just needed for the turn signals/brakes then?

So there may be light at the end of this tunnel….Gotta love this board!

Last edited by Homeboy981; 08-10-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Dumb response on my part
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Can the existing ones be modified?..or..where can I get them? Are they just needed for the turn signals/brakes then?

So there may be light at the end of this tunnel….Gotta love this board!
A 3-pin flasher from vleds.com should do the trick for turn signals, not sure about brake lights though.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #8

This is what I used, 3 PIN ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER BLINKER FIX 1157 3157 7443

Last edited by panameras; 08-10-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panameras View Post
I am ordering them! It did not make sense to use LEDs, which saves power and then wick it up with a resistor. Whatever! I need to light this baby up! Besides, it allows other drivers to judge how fast they should get out of the way ;-) haha
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:

The wattage of the bulb it is replacing is 21W…the LED pulls a watt or two….wouldn't 50 watts be too much resistance for the circuit? Don't want to over tax the circuit-like we are being over Taxed in US, but I digress. They make 25 Watt 6 Ohm resistors too, would not that be more applicable? Panameras, Relays…is that a UK spec thing or can you elaborate?

I almost wish I had not made my car look better at this point! But I sure DO NOT miss the orange!
I saw a 996 video that used a AWFL-15 LED Flasher. Porsche 996 LED Blinking with LED Flasher - YouTube
Which I can't seem to find..
I did find this link.. German/European model CF13GL-02
Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
1999 base

Garage
will parking lights LED bulb requires resistor as well?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
I am ordering them! It did not make sense to use LEDs, which saves power and then wick it up with a resistor. Whatever! I need to light this baby up! Besides, it allows other drivers to judge how fast they should get out of the way ;-) haha
This is only for the front turn signals though, to use LED bulbs in the rear, circuits in the taillights need to be modified. There was a thread about this from a while back.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:

The wattage of the bulb it is replacing is 21W…the LED pulls a watt or two….wouldn't 50 watts be too much resistance for the circuit?
Dude - ohms are resistance, not watts. The wattage rating is the amount of power (voltage squared over resistance, or current squared times resistance, or voltage times current) that the resistor can handle without melting, so you need a resistor rated above the power load. Too big is obviously better than too small, and there is no harm in overkill.

Remember: Twinkle twinkle little star, power equals I squared R.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Dude - ohms are resistance, not watts. The wattage rating is the amount of power (voltage squared over resistance, or current squared times resistance, or voltage times current) that the resistor can handle without melting, so you need a resistor rated above the power load. Too big is obviously better than too small, and there is no harm in overkill.

Remember: Twinkle twinkle little star, power equals I squared R.
Mark T, thanks for the inspiring poem. I guess I missed that one in school.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #15

That was a favorite saying of one of my instructors back in college. Probably one of the few things I remember!

His other favorite saying was "Would you like your final mark now?"
Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
Homeboy981

Garage
LED - Round 3!

O.K. not to beat a "dead thread". Thanks to some excellent suggestions, without telling me where to go…(although there were a few suggestions).

The Turn Signals are now working using a single "non-mechanical" Flasher. it was $12 at NAPA. Pep Boys has a bunch too.

They look so good they are showing up the rest of the car's light now. So I replaced all the 2825s (dome light(s), entry lights, corner rear parking light). I even found some Amber 2825s and put them on the Smoked Side Markers. You can see me again!

I KNEW I was pushing my luck by trying some LEDs with the REST of the 1156s in the rear tail light assy - there are 5 bulbs in my car. And how many worked? ZERO!

I told you that to ask this….is there another solution besides "tapping" each bulb so LEDs will work? Is there another "Flasher" that can come to the rescue? Please, no "flaming" responses. Just trying to keep the lights on here.

Thanks in advance.