Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

No horn

Hello, all.

Soliciting some opinions before I tear into this. The other day, I had someone backing out toward me and hit the horn, except no horn. When I got home, I checked the fuse, its good and the relay clicks when I hit the horn button.

Before I take off the bumper cover to access the horns to put a multimeter on it, is there anything else easily accessible that I should check first? I'd just hate to remove the bumper cover and replace the horns or wiring only to find out that there was something simple that I missed first.

Thanks for any and all opinions!

Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #2

how's your battery? the horn won't work if the battery is low
Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

Were you already down to just one horn, or did they both stop working at the same time?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

they can die after time...

check out this thread. it starts with "honk when i brake" but switches to "dead horn"

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16335-honks-when-i-brake.html
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
how's your battery? the horn won't work if the battery is low
Good point. I did put the battery on a conditioner until fully charged thinking it could be the battery, and no joy, but I didn't pull it to have it tested. I'd much rather replace the battery then tear the horns out. I'll definitely have it tested before I do anything.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Were you already down to just one horn, or did they both stop working at the same time?
To be honest, and I feel a bit sheepish admitting this, but I've only ever honked the horn on accident once while cleaning the steering wheel, and it was just a tiny little toot. No idea if both horns sounded or not. Other than that, never had any reason to.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
they can die after time...

check out this thread. it starts with "honk when i brake" but switches to "dead horn"

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16335-honks-when-i-brake.html
Thanks. I've read through that thread before (along with everything else that I could get my hands on on the subject) but I will definitely read through it again.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

As you can hear your relay clicking, I'm going to guess it is the horns, that one was dead already, and the other just failed now. A multimeter on the connectors would confirm or refute that.

My car had one dead horn when I bought it and I just assumed the cars had single note horns until I removed the bumper and noticed that there were two horns there and one wasn't working.

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #9

Update

An update: yesterday I replaced both horns and am now able to happily honk! This was not a bad job at all. Cleaned the rads while the bumper cover was off.

I grew up helping my dad fix all of our cars and hated every minute of it. I have never done any work on any of the cars my wife and I have owned over the years, taking everything to the shop when needed. But there is just something about this car that makes me want to do my own work.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice along the way!