Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Garage
A/C blowing but not producing cold air

The bentley repair manual says the probable cause of an A/C system not producing cold air is the "A/C compressor is not engaging." The corrective action it states is to "check A/C compressor clutch electrical connector at left of engine compartment." Does anyone know how to do this?

More background. I took my Boxster to get a refrigerant charge and the man doing it said he could not recharge the refrigerant because the "pressure was too high." Any chance I could fix this at home?

thank you,

Colby

99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Start by turning the ac off with engine running. Engage the ac and listen for the compressor to kick in. The should be a noticeable change in engine sound and a brief drop in rpm's. If nothing is heard, check the fuse. If fuse is good and you don't hear the compressor kick in, its most likely the clutch. Next step would be to disconnect the clutch wires and verify with a volt meter that the clutch is getting voltage. If no power at clutch wires, could be wiring.

Most likely the fuse or a bad clutch...or a bad ac guy. Low coolant would also stop the clutch from kicking in.

One other cause could be that the evaporator coil is dirty and clogged with debris, but I'm not exactly sure where its at. Should be somewhere behind the dash on passenger side near the heater/ac fan.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-29-2012 at 09:19 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote