Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #1

What Steering Wheel For 00 Boxster

I'm looking to pick up a steering wheel to replace the plain one in my 2000 Boxster, anyone have any suggestions? Trying to find something used and under 1k but they seem very expensive once you include the airbag. Thanks!

shift knob suggestions would be great too

speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyturtle View Post
I'm looking to pick up a steering wheel to replace the plain one in my 2000 Boxster, anyone have any suggestions? Trying to find something used and under 1k but they seem very expensive once you include the airbag. Thanks!

shift knob suggestions would be great too
If you go on e-Bay there is a Company here in LA that has factory overstock of just about anything you might want. I think it's called MS road&race.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Garage
This has been on my watch list for sometime now, also the seller has more options at his store.
Porsche 996 986 T96 Sport leather steering wheel Carrera Carrera C4S Boxster | eBay

With regards to the shift knob I went with a Momo shift knob like this one:
http://www.advancespeedshop.com/images/momo_SK_combatEVO_BLK_chrome.jpg
but keep in mind that if you go with one not OEM then you will need to "round" the shifter for it to fit, not a hard job at all with a grinder attachment on a drill.

Wayne did a write up also here: Momo Shift Knob Installation on the Boxster... - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Have fun and post some before and after photos.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

If you go for the Momo knob spend the extra cheese and get the momo boot with screw collar adapter, looks way cooler and Italian leather spanks the stock piece. As for the wheel it's cool but not 700.00 cool, IMO. Techart wheel is way cooler more money too but if you're dipping for 7 large what's several hundred more?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
If you go for the Momo knob spend the extra cheese and get the momo boot with screw collar adapter, looks way cooler and Italian leather spanks the stock piece. As for the wheel it's cool but not 700.00 cool, IMO. Techart wheel is way cooler more money too but if you're dipping for 7 large what's several hundred more?
Agree on the collar, installed with OEM boot and am going for the Momo now, as for wheel not keen on the techart or the added cost (why it is still on watch list) ;-)
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #6

Go for a padded leather 3-spoke steering wheel. Stock steering wheel is too thin IMO.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Scroll down and look, given the limitations of airbags and hub fitment I think their steering wheels are cool. I am really happy with the factory sport wheel my own self.

TECHART - TECHART steering wheels and paddle shifters
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

Interested in a 3 spoke FVD steering wheel?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote