Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #1

exhaust tip

I wonder if someone could give me an idea how to replace my exhaust tip on a 2000 base Boxster.I received an exhaust tip that is suppose to fit my Boxster and replace the oval one with a double one.I think the 2000 model exhaust tip is soldered.But I am wondering if once removed, the outlet from the exhaust is oval as well.The double exhaust tip has an 2 1/4 single attachment(round) to the exhaust system.Is there any way that I can install this.My car is in storage right now and I don't have access to visually look at it.Thanks

lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahalte View Post
I wonder if someone could give me an idea how to replace my exhaust tip on a 2000 base Boxster.I received an exhaust tip that is suppose to fit my Boxster and replace the oval one with a double one.I think the 2000 model exhaust tip is soldered.But I am wondering if once removed, the outlet from the exhaust is oval as well.The double exhaust tip has an 2 1/4 single attachment(round) to the exhaust system.Is there any way that I can install this.My car is in storage right now and I don't have access to visually look at it.Thanks
I believe that replaceable exhaust tip is from my-03. I have 01 box and the chrome tip is part of the muffler.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Garage
Post a picture of the one you have & someone will know if it is oem
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #4

exhaust tip

Thanks.I should have a picture by the end of the day.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #5

exhaust tip

Here are a few pictures of the exhaust tip that I would like to install on my 2000 base Boxster.Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I pulled this from the "Crios mod" thread:

You can see the section of the muffler that the tip surrounds is oval in shape, so this round tip you have does not seem like it will work. It is a single hole, split down its center, but it's not round. I'm nor sure where you got it from, but that looks like something universal.

On the older cars what Porsche had for a tip modification was a chrome surround that would clamp over the original tip and stick out slightly from the rear.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #7

exhaust tip

Thanks for the picture.When I ordered this particular exhaust tip it was specified for a base 2000 boxster.It would be easier to change the exhaust system in its entirety to get the look I was hoping.I will check with the distributor to clarify the order.Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I imagine it may be possible for a muffler shop to tweak that tip and weld it onto your muffler in the same way that your stock tip is welded on. As long as they could make sure it sealed up and was level and their job doesn't look like a Frankenstein monstoer, that still an option to consider. It wouldn't cost much for them to do something that simple if they can, but I imagine you were looking to be able to just clamp on the new tip and go.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote