Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Keyless remote question

Ok so I bought a 99 boxster recently. The PO gave me two keys. 1 looks like a valet key. The other must have had a light in it but is missing all of the internals.

So upon looking at the original window sticker in the paper work it says it has central locks and imobilizor alarm. My question is this.... Does that mean I can buy the keyless entry remote and program it to my car? Is there another component needed?

Is there any way to tell if my car has it?
(the other problem is the horn doesn't work so if it's supposed to signal when locked I will not be able to tell that until I fix the horn)

magnusk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, your car has an immobilizer and alarm. The key that looks like it had a light was the remote key to lock/unlock and release the trunk. You'll need the dealer to program any replacement keys. The horn will only sound if there is a problem with locking the car (door ajar or trunk not closed properly) otherwise when locking the car the lights flash twice and there is no sound.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Does that mean I can buy the keyless entry remote and program it to my car?
Is there any way to tell if my car has it?
You will have to get a new key from the dealer and have it programmed to your car. $$$$$$
The options sticker under the front hood will have a code number that corresponds to the anti theft system. Go on RennTech.org to check the options codes. The Bentley manual also has a list of the codes on page 02-33.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Current Cars

I am in the same boat I have the key but no remote and for the one day a week I drive the car is it worth it to have a remote ?!?

'06 Civic (Wifes car)
'96 Jetta (Daily Driver)
Neekk1 is offline   Reply With Quote