Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Garage
stumped on wheel bearing change

Ordered the sir tool for wheel bearing change and have followed the tech instructions to no avail. When I pulled the hub the inner race came off with it. Can't figure out a way to get it off short of a trip to the machine shop. Any ideas?

Also the bearing will not press out. The thrust bearing on the sir tool self destructed, but the wheel bearing has not moved.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-17-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add photo
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Garage
picture of hub with race
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

If you use the correct size pieces on the SIR tool, the remaining bearing in the wheel carrier should come out.

The half of the bearing that is stuck on the hub is easily cut with a Dremmel tool.
I didn't cut it completely through because I was afraid I would start cutting the hub.
Cut a large notch, then hit it with a chisel. It will typically crack at that point then slide right off.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

Safety Glasses !!! Better yet, a face shield !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will work !
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks, I will try the dremel tool. Unfortunately the sir tool became inoperable before the bearing pressed out. The thrust bearing on the tool shattered in about a hundred pieces when pressure was put on it. I called the manufacturer and was told they had experienced this problem before and unfortunately they do not have any more bearings to replace it with. Maybe in a couple of weeks. So i guess i have a $300 tool that is useless and a car that will be tying up my lift indefinitely. Very disappointed in the tool and in pelican. I called them and was told that before anything could be done about the tool the salesman that I dealt with would have to call me back and make sure I had used the tool properly. which I did according to their tech instructions. I guess he has been too busy to call me back.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Yeah, not surprised. Pelican, even doing good as forum owner, trends to sell many things overpriced or under-quality. Luckily my learning was not nearly as expensive as yours... made my mistake buying their soft socket. Broke on first use I kid you not. Immediately called and they refused to accept return accusing me of using impact wrench. Told them I was using a craftsman torque wrench and they were free to send someone out and find a compressor in my home our any of my neighbors. A number of friends also got suckered in on that same $25 or so with exact same breakage issue... though a few made it to second or third use. Just be glad you didn't get stuck trying to use their IMSR kit with bad directions like some here did.

Live and learn...

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 07-18-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #7

Projects like this are usually an excuse for me to buy another tool. Although I usually believe in buying quality I tried the Harbor Freight bearing puller. (did not work and I took it back). I took the hubs to a local Car Quest that had a machine shop. Quick, easy and I thought well worth it. They pressed the old bearings out and the new ones in. Saved a lot of time and effort.

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote