Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
Randall, Itll be great if you can post the pics after the tinting. Did you get the Pactra brand or the Japanese Spray tint? Are you just tinting the front signals and the side markers? What do you plan on doing for the Tail Lights? Im actually planning on tinting my Amber Tail Signal Lights using the Red Spray Tint....viola! "Anniversay Edition"(All Red) Tail lights for just $10 ....I saw someone from this board with a Black Box who tinted his Tail lights Black..really nice!
I just got it this week. They sent the Pactra brand.

I am planning to spray the front amber in the headlights only. I already replaced the sidemarkers with clears. I love the stealth look of all black tail lamps, but I wonder about safety... how brightly will the tail lamps light up with all that tint on the plastic? I'd hate to get rear ended for my own stupidity.

Now I might just spray them AFTER I buy some red and clears to replace them. It might be fun to try it on a pair I no longer really need.

I will post before and after pix. I promise. I just need time to mask off the front end of the car and do it.

Anyone know if I should prep the plastic with anything before spraying it beyond a good scrub with a soapy rag?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 AM   #22

Remember, you may not get busted for it but tinting your lights IS illegal. But so are 95% of modifications to your car so it's up to you. My 5% tint is illegal and technically so are clear corners. The only thing is if you get rear ended, I don't know if the other people would have a case if they said your lights weren't bright enough to see.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 AM   #23

I put the clear corners on my lights and at first I didn't like it, but decided that I'd leave it for awhile to see if it grew on me. Now I am fine with it. I like that it's different from all the other box's that I see on the rode. It also goes well with the clear side markers that I put on. I went with the 550 red tail lights instead of the clear or amber ones. I think that it's just a matter of personal taste. They're easy to change out, so if you don't like it, you can always change them back.

I do plan on litronics at some future date, but for now I'm pleased. :dance:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #24

Well, I promised to report back on this thread about the window tint on the amber on the old headlights, and here's a pic I took with my phone's camera (sorry for the bad quality)

I am not happy with it at all. The plastic didn't accept the tint well at all and it modeled and pooled up, even though I misted it on in layers over the course of a number of hours and it was dry between coats. Plus, it scratches off with your fingernail.

So, the experiment is a failure in my opinion, and it took me six hours to figure out it wasn't worth the time or effort.

The only upside is my wife walked out, saw the results and said, "You really need to go ahead and order those litronics because that looks like crap and you won't be happy with it."

<-- accurate representation of my face as I heard her say that.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote