Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Considering 2001 boxster

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be a new boxster owner in the very near future. I spoke to a seller, and he mentioned that he drove his car once a week on Sundays only. He said, there is a little bit of oil underneath the car, but he still drives it and it drives well. Is this a sign that I should stay away? Or do you think it's still worth taking it to a mechanic to check it out?

Thanks,
Mike.

mlam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

A little oil under the car should not be a deal killer by itself. It might be something minor like a Rear Main Seal (RMS) leak or old spark plug tubes/o-rings which are quite common and not a big deal unless its losing a lot of oil.

On the other hand, it could be something more serious so having a good PPI (pre-purchase inspection) is key to knowing exactly what you're getting into.

A good PPI is the best $300 that you'll ever spend.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the response! There's a '99 that is clean underneath for the same price. Do you think the '99 would be a better buy? I read that the 2.5 and 2.7 really isn't THAT much different.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Personally the first 3 years I would stay away from...look at 2000 and up. Drive and S model and you will never want a base.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

I did drive a 2002 S, and it's really quick. For Toronto traffic, you'll almost never make use of that power. It's hard for me to justify the cost difference.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Nothing inherrently wrong with an early base model but the 2000's and up did have a few minor upgrades. The difference in HP between a 2.5 and a 2.7 isn't huge but its still noticable.

I'd suggest that you drive a 2.5, a 2.7, and an S model so you can make a decision based on your own preferences.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #7

Thanks again for the response.

I've made contact with a couple other sellers, and it's amazing how all the boxster owners that I've talked to have never heard of the IMS issues before. Leads me to believe this issue is completely overblown.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlam81 View Post
I did drive a 2002 S, and it's really quick. For Toronto traffic, you'll almost never make use of that power. It's hard for me to justify the cost difference.
You may find an S that doesn't cost more than a comparable base. Lots of Boxsters out there. I got an S for what I think was a minimal premium if any over comparable bases. Very happy that I got the S.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlam81 View Post
Thanks again for the response.

I've made contact with a couple other sellers, and it's amazing how all the boxster owners that I've talked to have never heard of the IMS issues before. Leads me to believe this issue is completely overblown.
I agree with you, certainly does not appear to be an issue over here, with the fellow Coxster owners I mix with. (however I might just touch wood as I type this)