Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Part fell off side of seat - how to fix?

I just noticed a part has fallen off the side of my passenger seat, and I'm at a loss how to put it back on. I checked the other side and found the part has fallen off that side as well. I cant tell if the top part of the piece goes over or under the seat back, and what keeps it in place. There's a tab on the inside of the piece, but I don't see a corresponding slot in the seat for it to fit in.

Here's a photo.


__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 308
my driver's side plastic came off about a year ago.
look at the front end of the piece, off the picture to the right.
there should be a 3 inch or so rail like feature with a hook. that slips into the seat.
look at the back side (opposite to your photo, there should be some tabs that clips onto the side railing.
my unit has all the "tabs" for clipping to the metal seat rails broken.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central CT
Posts: 1,197
Garage
I'm sorry, but I can't see the picture (at the moment). Are we talking about those plastic covers that go over the rails for sliding the seat back and forth?
__________________
-O/D

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't see the picture (at the moment). Are we talking about those plastic covers that go over the rails for sliding the seat back and forth?
It's the piece that fits over the reclining mechanism, and sits between the seat and the back.
__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
my driver's side plastic came off about a year ago.
look at the front end of the piece, off the picture to the right.
there should be a 3 inch or so rail like feature with a hook. that slips into the seat.
look at the back side (opposite to your photo, there should be some tabs that clips onto the side railing.
my unit has all the "tabs" for clipping to the metal seat rails broken.
The tab you mentioned is broken off on mine as well. Anyone know what this piece is called and how to order a replacement?
__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7 View Post
The tab you mentioned is broken off on mine as well. Anyone know what this piece is called and how to order a replacement?
I'm assuming that the boxster is 986 flavor.
in the 986 Katalog pdf, page 349, it is called "cover left set inner" 996 521 364 and similarly for the pasenger side.
there appears to be a clip that is needed as well.
don't want to copy and past any copyright things.
forgot how to get to the Porsche web site .. the full catalog is there.

here's a link to the catalog
Porsche Original Parts Catalogue - Parts and Diagnostic Information - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Last edited by sb01box; 07-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
I'm assuming that the boxster is 986 flavor.
in the 986 Katalog pdf, page 349, it is called "cover left set inner" 996 521 364 and similarly for the pasenger side.
there appears to be a clip that is needed as well.
don't want to copy and past any copyright things.
forgot how to get to the Porsche web site .. the full catalog is there.

here's a link to the catalog
Porsche Original Parts Catalogue - Parts and Diagnostic Information - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Thanks very much
__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 308
I like to take the credit for the link, but forum member "Paul" directed me to this link some time back.
good luck on replacement.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page