Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Few questions, some pics of new ride

I purchased my 2000 Boxster about a month and a half ago locally from the second owner. The car was in good shape for 75K miles. The only issues were a very small ˝” crack in the plastic window of the top. This quickly grew to about 6 large cracks the first few times I operated the roof. While searching for a replacement top I stumbled upon this company autotopsdirect.com that offers a replacement top made from what they call “acoustically enhanced material” and a glass window from the same company that supplies Porsche. I am happy and it is much quitter. My only concern is that now the top doesn’t seem to extend all the way. There is about a 2 inch gap when I put the top up and I must reach up and help pull the top down to engage the latch. Is there a way to adjust this?

The second issue I took with the car was the worn interior, especially the center counsel and driver seat. I promptly found artic silver door pulls and a center counsel courtesy of ebay. The seats I purchased from AutoBerry.com. I am pleased with the fit and they are 100% leather – love the smell. My upholsterer installed the seats and when I picked up the car, I noticed my airbag light is on. Is there a sensor in the seat that may not have been reconnected?

Finally, I tossed on some 19” wheels and a nice set of rubber, painted the calipers red, added the Porsche banner down the side, and called it a day.
The original passenger seat was in great condition, but I replaced both for matching sakes. I still have it and am willing to let it go if someone has a worn driver’s seat they want to replace it with. Here are some before and after pics.

jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Nice. We have done a lot of the same mods : glass window top (I had the same problem at first with the top and the gap but after a few months and some adjustments it's gone), 17" wheels to 19" wheels, Porsche stripe.

Your car looks hot. Congrats on the nicely done mods. Enjoy.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

From a Pelican Parts tech article:
Quote:
If you install an aftermarket seat in your car, you will initially have a problem with the airbag computer giving you errors. You need to reprogram the computer (using the Porsche factory PST-2 or PIWIS) to ignore the error signals. The late model cars with side airbags in the seat also need to be disabled. If you use a five-point harness with your seats, then you will need to disable the seat belt sensors. Finally, you need to turn off the Automatic Weight Sensor (AWS) for the passenger seat. If you take your car to the Porsche dealer or an independent with the PIWIS tool, then it should take about 20-30 minutes for them to reprogram the air bag controller for you.
copsahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsahl View Post
From a Pelican Parts tech article:
Not new seats, seats re-covered.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Lookin' good.

A little de-ambering will finish off the look.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Nice Ride! Like the rims, stripes and interior look! You need these pics in your garage!

Where did you get the banner on side and was it easy to install?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
jakesbox

I have been calling around here in Jacksonville for someone to install a new top if I got one. Not going to the P dealer as they are too expensive. Found an indy P mr fix it company locally that told me...with a new top there is a break in period as they are extremely tight. He would recommend the car sit out in the day in direct sun to help relax the top a bit and after a couple weeks, the tightness subsides enough to make it fit perfect. Your car looks great. how much were the stripes down the side and did you do those...were they a pain? I have a seal grey Boxster and want to do that to mine.
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Garage
I like the look of the porsche decal too. You can get them on eBay here in the UK pretty reasonable... Not sure if the below link will work or if they deliver internationally...

I don't think my black 1998 with tan interior and stock 17" twists looks sporty enough for the full side skirt banner stripe, I have just bought some smaller silver PORSCHE logo decals to go on my skirts in front of the rear wheels.

Loving the leather refit too, great job!!

side stripes fits porsche boxster decal stickers exact design | eBay
hartids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseborgelt View Post
There is about a 2 inch gap when I put the top up and I must reach up and help pull the top down to engage the latch. Is there a way to adjust this?
Mine does this, though in the past 2 years it's slowly started to stretch a little and the 2 inch gap is now about 1 inch. No big deal.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
jakesbox

How well do those stickers hold up under normal washing etc of the car?
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
Lookin' good.

A little de-ambering will finish off the look.
I like the look of clears for sure, but not enough to spend $1,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Nice Ride! Like the rims, stripes and interior look! You need these pics in your garage!

Where did you get the banner on side and was it easy to install?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I have been calling around here in Jacksonville for someone to install a new top if I got one. Not going to the P dealer as they are too expensive. Found an indy P mr fix it company locally that told me...with a new top there is a break in period as they are extremely tight. He would recommend the car sit out in the day in direct sun to help relax the top a bit and after a couple weeks, the tightness subsides enough to make it fit perfect. Your car looks great. how much were the stripes down the side and did you do those...were they a pain? I have a seal grey Boxster and want to do that to mine.

Thank you for the compliments. The stripes were from this ebay seller side stripes fits porsche boxster decal stickers exact design | eBay and the install took 20 minutes per door, very easy instructions, high quality, seems very durable. So far it held up to waxing, no signs of peeling. This might be my favorite and cheepest modification thus far.