Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #1

New Boxster owner with some questions

So I sold my 2012 Hyundai Veloster that had 13,000 miles on it that I used for 8 months, for $500 more than I paid for it brand new and got myself a 2002 Boxster on a whim. Has 76,000 miles on it, runs smooth, and sounds amazing when getting on it.

Amazing car, loving every moment of it, but has a few issues that I am slowly working out. I love working on my own cars, and this one is no exception. I have done a lot of searching and read a LOT of articles, but would like some confirmation on things before I buy some parts

1. Banging/clunk/wheel hop on rough roads or when turning left really quickly after hitting a small bump really bad wheel hop happens then in the rear left. I am thinking it is a track arm? Any confirmation?

2. Windows will not drop when door is opened from either the inside or the outside on both the driver and passenger side doors. However it will drop when the convertible top is unlocked. I see the microswitch is purchasable through PelicanParts, but is it actually serviceable? Or do I need to buy the entire mechanism.

3. Very slow leak from the RMS, doesn't leave any oil on the ground, but pretty clear it is coming from that area. Something I need to do ASAP, or can I just wait on it for a while? Spark plug gaskets are leaking slightly, but replacing the plugs/tubes/gaskets this weekend since I am sure they have never been changed.

Other than those little things, everything seems to be in great shape and very happy with my purchase. Funny... I used to hate boxsters and thought they were stupid up until a week ago when I decided to test drive one on a dealers used lot since I was just bored. Immediately sold my car and HAD to get one of these.

Last edited by MConte05; 06-07-2012 at 09:05 AM.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

1. Could be any suspension related component. You'll have to check everything to find the source.

2. Microswitch can be easily replaced.

3. RMS leak is more of a nuisance. If its not leaking badly it can probably wait.

4. Spark plug tubes/gaskets are an easy DIY.

5. Everyone thinks that the Boxster is lame until they drive one. Then it all changes.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote