Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Uview cooling system bleed?

Question, I just got a Uview tool. Can I use it to bled the existing cooling system to remove any bubbles?

Also have a 2000 S with 39k miles. Water pump seems fine, however I have new water pump and low temp thermostat ready to go. Should I just change out based on age alone? Also, should I do the expansion tank at the same time on general principles?

Sisu guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #2

No - it creates a vacuum which will suck everything out, not just air. Drain the system as best as you can, use the Uview to create a vacuum (no air or coolant) and then use the vacuum created to refill the system with properly mixed coolant from a bucket.

Pedro has good directions on how to use it here: Flush Coolant System

Or you can follow the instructions that came with the tool.

Replacing the water pump is your call. It might last another few years, or it might fail tomorrow, as could the new one you buy. I changed mine (MY99, 78K) because of all the dire doom and gloom warnings. I found the old one I removed was in perfect condition and did not need to be replaced, but I guess that's better than waiting for it to fail. I dunno. I tend to think there have been a lot of perfectly good water pumps replaced and thrown out because of a few documented failures. Just like IMS bearings.

If you're going to replace the water pump, might as well do the thermostat. I wouldn't bother with the coolant tank until it actually fails.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
No - it creates a vacuum which will suck everything out, not just air. Drain the system as best as you can, use the Uview to create a vacuum (no air or coolant) and then use the vacuum created to refill the system with properly mixed coolant from a bucket.

Pedro has good directions on how to use it here: Flush Coolant System

Or you can follow the instructions that came with the tool.

Replacing the water pump is your call. It might last another few years, or it might fail tomorrow, as could the new one you buy. I changed mine (MY99, 78K) because of all the dire doom and gloom warnings. I found the old one I removed was in perfect condition and did not need to be replaced, but I guess that's better than waiting for it to fail. I dunno. I tend to think there have been a lot of perfectly good water pumps replaced and thrown out because of a few documented failures. Just like IMS bearings.

If you're going to replace the water pump, might as well do the thermostat. I wouldn't bother with the coolant tank until it actually fails.
That is not correct, we use the Uview regularly to get the air out of systems that had a customer’s DIY cooling project go bad and leave air entrapped in the system. As the Uview never actually touches the fluid level in the surge tank, it cannot suck out the coolant, but will pull out any air in the system.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

I stand corrected, JFP. Good info. I assumed that the creation of a vacuum would draw out both liquid and air.

So, let me see if I have this right. Are you saying that if there was some air trapped up by the radiator, that the Uview would draw out that air without drawing out coolant?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Correct. What the unit is doing is creating vacuum above the fluid level in the tank, which would force any trapped air to bubble out. This may cause the fluid level in the tank to drop somewhat, but that would happen because the fluid has now displaced the air pocket, not because it had been sucked out.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

One also needs an appropriate compressor to run the uview. I recall something like a minimum of 4.5 cfm@90 psig....the manufacturer will be able to tell you. Your nail gun unit won't cut it

Last edited by jaykay; 06-06-2012 at 10:35 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

Well, ya learn something new every day. Thanks JFP! Sure wish you were my mechanic. Kind of a long drive (or tow!) though.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #8

Obviously, it would be better not to have gotten air entrained in the system to begin with by using the Uview to correctly recharge the system, but you can use it to get stubborn air pockets out as well.