Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Electronics in trunk?

Any electronics in trunk I should be aware of?

I accidentally left one of those 2.5 gallon jug of water with a spout on it in my trunk and I guess the heat compressed the water and about a gallon spilled out of the trunk. I randomly opened the trunk today 3 days after putting it in there and noticed water all over. I'm assuming the heat from the exhaust and engine made a lot of it evaporate and the top of the trunk lid was dripping wet. It was like a sauna in there.

I parked my car in the garage tonight with the trunk open to dry it out, but anything I should be worried about?

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #2

Electronics in trunk?

If there was going to be a problem , you'd already know it.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Been there, done that.

I changed a Water pump and was 'burping' system. Long story short I left a water jug in the 'pizza oven' too. I sealed it but that did not matter. It leaked all over!

I pulled the back panel off, where the ECU resides - just to be safe and let it air out for a fews days - with no ill effects.

Was worried about it too. The carpet was soaked but it did evaporate and all is well again.

Find a sunny spot to park it and leave the trunk open for a while. It will be O.K.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The ECU is in the trunk, mounted to the bulkhead on the drivers side behind the trunk paneling. The good news is that it is mounted vertically on the bulkhead so you'd have to partially fill your rear trunk to get water high enough to hit the ECU.

Funny that Porsche put the ECU somewhat out of the way of water in the trunk but placed the immobilizer at the lowest point in the car (under the drivers seat) where any water is sure to accumulate. Go figure.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote