Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

fitting 19" wheels

last year I bought a set of 19"techart formula replica wheels . so i finally got around to getting some rubber for them (Hankook ventus evo) . I am looking at the rubber bands sitting in my living room thinking how the F are these going feel and how long they are going to last until a wheel gets smashed. any comments on the 30 profile rear tires ? i also test fit one rear wheel without the tires on them , they are 60 et and i got a 15mm spacer but there is less than a 1/4" room from the strut. are these going to rub when the tires are mounted ? i'm fearing a 19" failure !

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
last year I bought a set of 19"techart formula replica wheels . so i finally got around to getting some rubber for them (Hankook ventus evo) . I am looking at the rubber bands sitting in my living room thinking how the F are these going feel and how long they are going to last until a wheel gets smashed. any comments on the 30 profile rear tires ? i also test fit one rear wheel without the tires on them , they are 60 et and i got a 15mm spacer but there is less than a 1/4" room from the strut. are these going to rub when the tires are mounted ? i'm fearing a 19" failure !
Assuming that these wheels are 10 inches wide, +45 is about the highest offset that you can have before inner clearance becomes a problem . At this point, I would not recommend using a tire any wider than 275 . Furthermore, if you can bring the offset down to +40, needless to say, you'll have much better clearance . As far as 30 profile tires are concerned, if you want to have 19 inch wheels - you have to sacrifice some "cushion" .
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

it is going to be a tight fit for sure. may need a 20mm spacer. i did get 275 tires also . getting the tires fitted tomorrow. i will soon find out. i hope they look good with the slightly lowered row set up.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #4

Garage
As I said, +40 would be better . However, at least with the RoW set-up you won't have to contend with trying to clear a adjustment ring like you would on aftermarket coil overs.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

captain Johnny, Everything fits . no problems . I actually think they could be pushed out more . fronts are good , how far can you go on the rears? These wheels would look a lot better if the car was lowered another 1" but f that man. our roads suck !
Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

I have 19's on mine and I dont mind the ride at all. Personally my 17's had crappy tires and the new Contis on 19's have been a nice smooth ride so far. Good luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
captain Johnny, Everything fits . no problems . I actually think they could be pushed out more . fronts are good , how far can you go on the rears? These wheels would look a lot better if the car was lowered another 1" but f that man. our roads suck !
Like I said, I think bringing down the offset to +40 might give you the "look" and clearance that you need .
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

is +40
the max. you can go without issues ?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
is +40
the max. you can go without issues ?
Every vehicle has it's own variables (i.e. tire size, suspension set-up, ride height etc..) . That being said, without knowing the vehicle, I'd say +38 to +40 is about the most aggressive "over the counter" offset that I would recommend .